Recruiting Visitors?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Nothing to "believe". In the part you quoted I already pointed out I was not there.

Two super fan points awarded to Pablo for going to Mason Madness.

Two demerits against wijg for not being at Mason madness. An additional 3 demerits for not being 100% positive. I will turn in my super fan badge at the next meeting.

I could see it being funny to crack a joke about how porous Holloway's defense is. As you indicate, interesting to single him out on it. It just seems like it would have been a moment that I would have been embarrassed to be a part of to be a crowd of "5,000" chanting it at the guy expected to be one of our stars of the upcoming year. Maybe Holloway just has such a strong personality, that it was a good thing.

Since I was not there with all the super fans, I will leave it to those that were there to discuss. Oh, wait, that might be considered un-superfan-like conduct, so I guess those of you that were there can't discuss it either.

Just so you know, there weren't "5,000" chanting. And, I certainly wasn't either. Frankly, I've already tuned out Hewitt. But, like gemini says, the players appear to like him.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Of the 2 of us, I believe that I'm the only one who was at Mason Madness. And, while I was surprised that Hewitt singled out Holloway for his defensive deficiencies (and I commented to my wife about it), IMO it was all done in good humor. The fact is that Hewitt jokes about Holloway frequently, particularly Patrick's confidence in shooting.

I saw it in person as well, and I agree with Pablo. All in good fun, said with a big grin and not at all sarcastic.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Very large and loud crowd tonight. It's amazing how much the production value of this has increased over the years. Some highlights:

- Peter Rabbit/Snap Boogie - Would be worth paying money for. Very entertaining.

- All players dressed and warmed up, Copes/Holloway did not play, but probably just because it was a 5 minute game.

- Hewitt promised a lot of home wins and that he wanted a bigger ring on his finger than Brad Edwards is wearing.

- Hewitt called out Holloway and had the entire crowd chant defense just to Pat, with coach telling PH that he needed to play some this year. PH seemed to take it ok, but he basically stood in front of 5,000 people and said he knows our starting SG doesn't play D.

- Our women's team has like a 6'6" transfer. Not sure she can play at all, but she's a tall drink of water.

- John Vaughan and Lamar Butler did a 5-minute schtick (basically to allow the lights to warm up). Got the crowd to do the We Believe We will Win stuff, Butler called out vcu. Nice to see them engaged. I'd allow JV to emcee my next party.

- Green Machine is badass. Appears there is a new Doc Nix stuffed animal available.

- Hewitt was also sure to mention that all practices are open practices and invited everyone to come watch the guys bust their tails for Mason every day.

- It was a strong atmosphere. Thank god there appear to be some fans that don't read these boards.

Yep, and thank god those same people don't pay attention to the A-10 coaches poll or any other media publication....But it's OK, keep patting yourself on the back and telling yourself that you're a "true fan."

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It was a cheap grab at attention towards an issue thats bigger than Holloway. The crowd, if it were in tune with current state of program, should of started another chant. One directed towards Hewitt and his lousy tenure here. He likes to talk the talk, but cant walk the walk.....

"Thank you Hewitt, We arent relevant"..clap, clap.

wijg

Starter
Super fan scorecard update:

One demerit for lawdog for sassing a super fan.
One demerit for GSII criticizing Hewitt.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
- Hewitt was also sure to mention that all practices are open practices and invited everyone to come watch the guys bust their tails for Mason every day.

Does anybody know the practice schedule this week or next weekend? I'd be interested in checking one out.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Does anybody know the practice schedule this week or next weekend? I'd be interested in checking one out.

I'm guessing the practice schedule is subject to change, and this is why Hewitt stated at Mason Madness that you should call the office first before attending practice.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It was a cheap grab at attention towards an issue thats bigger than Holloway. The crowd, if it were in tune with current state of program, should of started another chant. One directed towards Hewitt and his lousy tenure here. He likes to talk the talk, but cant walk the walk.....

"Thank you Hewitt, We arent relevant"..clap, clap.

GS,

I don't think that you're giving the crowd enough credit, because it certainly appeared to me that the applause Hewitt received was half-hearted. But, it was not the time or place to start any anti-Hewitt chant. We were there to enjoy the entertainment and express our support for the players..

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
GS,

I don't think that you're giving the crowd enough credit, because it certainly appeared to me that the applause Hewitt received was half-hearted. But, it was not the time or place to start any anti-Hewitt chant. We were there to enjoy the entertainment and express our support for the players..

Pab, I hear ya man. I'm always on the players' side. It pisses me off that Holloway felt even the slightest bit of embarrassed by his Coach. And you know he did. That and other comments by Hewitt just come across as head scratchers. Motivating skills have always been in question with this coach. Point and case.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep, and thank god those same people don't pay attention to the A-10 coaches poll or any other media publication....But it's OK, keep patting yourself on the back and telling yourself that you're a "true fan."

Wow, a little sensitive today? I provide a recap and point out that apparently our entire fanbase isn't prepared to jump off a bridge and suddenly I've put myself on a pedestal above the rest of you as a "true fan". Totally sane response to my post.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sure, it might be overreacting if all posts were viewed in a vacuum. But I think your history of posting indicates that you have a low tolerance for anyone who is critical of the current regime. You and others also love to perpetuate the myth that saying anything critical on these boards hurts the program or drives people away from following. As if people are somehow too dumb to realize that this board has little value outside of being an online gathering spot for fans. I've said it before, but if someone reading these boards doesn't realize that what is said here has no influence on what happens on the court then they should probably not be reading. The big bad evildoer internet message board thing is just tired, inaccurate and totally outdated.

Now, despite what others may think, my criticisms of the coach in no way affect my support for the players and the team. It's great that a large number of people showed up for the event. It's great that people want to show their support for the school and program. I would never voice my displeasure with Hewitt at a game because I think it's disrespectful to the players, but if this is not the appropriate forum then what is?

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Ok, I'll bite. These boards are absolutely the right place to complain about our coach, perhaps just not in every single thread and perhaps not in angry critique of those who don't see the world as bleakly as you do. This is my 114th total post on these boards so I'm not sure I've done enough to establish a history of intolerance, but yes, I've occasionally tried to steer the sticks away from the deceased horse.

As to my glimmer of hope logic (realizing this is a little off-base to our discussion) it's simply that virtually every game Hewitt has coached at Mason has had BA and SW in the backcourt. While great individual talents, I'm not sure either of them was the type of player that made anyone around them better, both sometimes had the lights get too bright for them in big moments and neither was any sort of defender (yes, a better coach could have helped with those problems). I'd even make the case that our team played its' best ball last year in December when coach basically bench SW for a few games. Does any of that logic mean we're going to suddenly be worldbeaters or that Hewitt is going to become Brad Stevens? Of course not, but I won't be shocked if we finish well ahead of expectations this year. My concern is that a lot of people here would probably prefer 13th place to 6th place if it meant starting fresh next year.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Were any recruits at Midnight Madness? Aside from Gilbert and a legit PG, who are we looking at to replace VG, CE,EC?

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ok, I'll bite. These boards are absolutely the right place to complain about our coach, perhaps just not in every single thread and perhaps not in angry critique of those who don't see the world as bleakly as you do. This is my 114th total post on these boards so I'm not sure I've done enough to establish a history of intolerance, but yes, I've occasionally tried to steer the sticks away from the deceased horse.

As to my glimmer of hope logic (realizing this is a little off-base to our discussion) it's simply that virtually every game Hewitt has coached at Mason has had BA and SW in the backcourt. While great individual talents, I'm not sure either of them was the type of player that made anyone around them better, both sometimes had the lights get too bright for them in big moments and neither was any sort of defender (yes, a better coach could have helped with those problems). I'd even make the case that our team played its' best ball last year in December when coach basically bench SW for a few games. Does any of that logic mean we're going to suddenly be worldbeaters or that Hewitt is going to become Brad Stevens? Of course not, but I won't be shocked if we finish well ahead of expectations this year. My concern is that a lot of people here would probably prefer 13th place to 6th place if it meant starting fresh next year.
You seem like a smart guy and this is why I don't understand why you would go to the lowest common denominator argument regarding the boogie monster that is message board posting...

As to your second paragraph, I would disagree, and point to the wild inconsistency as more of a coach issue. To me, it's insulting to guys who busted their tails for this program to insinuate they didn't have the wherewithal to succeed here. I disagree, but understand your logic. As for the last part, I wouldn't rather finish 13th than 6th, but if it's between 10th and 13th, I think it's a no brainer.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Wow, a little sensitive today? I provide a recap and point out that apparently our entire fanbase isn't prepared to jump off a bridge and suddenly I've put myself on a pedestal above the rest of you as a "true fan". Totally sane response to my post.
Mason madness is always crowded, and loud. It never translates to the games.

Also, I very much disagree with your take on Allen and Wright. As bad as the season was last year, without them on the court, it would have been even worse.