Recruiting Visitors?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Thanks for the clarification, Siegfried. Can you enlighten us on whether this is just a red-tape issue that will be resolved soon, or are we looking at Mayimba possibly being ruled completely ineligible to the point where he can't be admitted to the school? It's at least a little positive that he is still with the team even if he's not practicing, right?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes. I believe I said a while ago.

I told you about Arledge and was scoffed at. Now I deliver about Mayimba. At some point you people will start to believe me.

Or perhaps you don't deserve my wisdom.

So the NCAA is looking to punish a kid who came here looking for a better life now? Or are they questioning his academic achievement while here? Because it looks very vindictive to look at this kids freshman transcripts from his home country where he had no choice.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So the NCAA is looking to punish a kid who came here looking for a better life now? Or are they questioning his academic achievement while here? Because it looks very vindictive to look at this kids freshman transcripts from his home country where he had no choice.

Well, the NCAA is nothing if not (selectively) vindictive.

gmu05

Starter
If Mayimba played his eligibly isn't in question because tonight was considered an official practice, no?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If Mayimba played his eligibly isn't in question because tonight was considered an official practice, no?

If the NCAA is looking into his transcript, I'm pretty sure he can practice until there is some sort of resolution to his case.

The problem is if his status is still in limbo once the games start. He's not gonna be able to play because we'd be risking having to forfeit wins if he's ineligible.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I couldn't make it out tonight, but it looked like a pretty impressive crowd based on the pictures I saw on Facebook and Twitter. Can anybody here verify and offer any other details?

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Very large and loud crowd tonight. It's amazing how much the production value of this has increased over the years. Some highlights:

- Peter Rabbit/Snap Boogie - Would be worth paying money for. Very entertaining.

- All players dressed and warmed up, Copes/Holloway did not play, but probably just because it was a 5 minute game.

- Hewitt promised a lot of home wins and that he wanted a bigger ring on his finger than Brad Edwards is wearing.

- Hewitt called out Holloway and had the entire crowd chant defense just to Pat, with coach telling PH that he needed to play some this year. PH seemed to take it ok, but he basically stood in front of 5,000 people and said he knows our starting SG doesn't play D.

- Our women's team has like a 6'6" transfer. Not sure she can play at all, but she's a tall drink of water.

- John Vaughan and Lamar Butler did a 5-minute schtick (basically to allow the lights to warm up). Got the crowd to do the We Believe We will Win stuff, Butler called out vcu. Nice to see them engaged. I'd allow JV to emcee my next party.

- Green Machine is badass. Appears there is a new Doc Nix stuffed animal available.

- Hewitt was also sure to mention that all practices are open practices and invited everyone to come watch the guys bust their tails for Mason every day.

- It was a strong atmosphere. Thank god there appear to be some fans that don't read these boards.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Hopefully, those "5,000 people" (which included my wife and me) plan to attend games. I know that I shouldn't nitpick, but the introductions of the assistant coaches and players were rushed and several of their names were mispronounced.

I'm looking forward to the scrimmage next Saturday. Obviously, none of the men played defense last night. I'm also glad that Hewitt is having open practices this season.

wijg

Starter
- Hewitt called out Holloway and had the entire crowd chant defense just to Pat, with coach telling PH that he needed to play some this year. PH seemed to take it ok, but he basically stood in front of 5,000 people and said he knows our starting SG doesn't play D.

These are the kinds of things that have me wonder about his motivational skills. Like the haircut-gate from last year. His motivational approach seems to be public humiliation. Seems like something that should be handled in practice and private meetings...

What was the atmosphere like during this part of the program? Was it awkward?

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Great event last night!

As to the Hewitt/Holloway defense comments. Hewitt also said he was his and ours (the crowd) favorite Patriot. I wouldn't look to far into the defense comments. It seemed like an all in good fun kind of night.

Thompson and Porter make Copes look short.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
As to the Hewitt/Holloway defense comments. Hewitt also said he was his and ours (the crowd) favorite Patriot. I wouldn't look to far into the defense comments. It seemed like an all in good fun kind of night..

I agree with you. To me, Holloway is like Lamar Butler or John Vaughan - everybody likes him.

As far as public humiliation, I remember Larranaga berating Raoul Heinen at a home game and replacing him with a walk-on.

wijg

Starter
Glad to hear it seemed to be more of a good natured ribbing type of thing. Just hard to imagine it that way. Guess I should have been there.

As far as public humiliation, I remember Larranaga berating Raoul Heinen at a home game and replacing him with a walk-on.
I hate that every thing boils down to a comparison between the OCM and Hewitt. But, since you went there...

Did the OCM get the crowd to chant anything at Heinen? Did Heinen show up at the next game with a shaved head? It is one thing for a player to embarrass themselves on the court and a coach to point it out in the heat of the moment and yank him from a game.

It is another thing to take actions that only serve to publicly embarrass someone. Don't you think they are already embarrassed about their performance? I would think good coaches would have better motivational techniques than that.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Glad to hear it seemed to be more of a good natured ribbing type of thing. Just hard to imagine it that way. Guess I should have been there.

I hate that every thing boils down to a comparison between the OCM and Hewitt. But, since you went there...

Did the OCM get the crowd to chant anything at Heinen? Did Heinen show up at the next game with a shaved head? It is one thing for a player to embarrass themselves on the court and a coach to point it out in the heat of the moment and yank him from a game.

It is another thing to take actions that only serve to publicly embarrass someone. Don't you think they are already embarrassed about their performance? I would think good coaches would have better motivational techniques than that.

Of the 2 of us, I believe that I'm the only one who was at Mason Madness. And, while I was surprised that Hewitt singled out Holloway for his defensive deficiencies (and I commented to my wife about it), IMO it was all done in good humor. The fact is that Hewitt jokes about Holloway frequently, particularly Patrick's confidence in shooting.

wijg

Starter
Of the 2 of us, I believe that I'm the only one who was at Mason Madness. And, while I was surprised that Hewitt singled out Holloway for his defensive deficiencies (and I commented to my wife about it), IMO it was all done in good humor. The fact is that Hewitt jokes about Holloway frequently, particularly Patrick's confidence in shooting.
Nothing to "believe". In the part you quoted I already pointed out I was not there.

Two super fan points awarded to Pablo for going to Mason Madness.

Two demerits against wijg for not being at Mason madness. An additional 3 demerits for not being 100% positive. I will turn in my super fan badge at the next meeting.

I could see it being funny to crack a joke about how porous Holloway's defense is. As you indicate, interesting to single him out on it. It just seems like it would have been a moment that I would have been embarrassed to be a part of to be a crowd of "5,000" chanting it at the guy expected to be one of our stars of the upcoming year. Maybe Holloway just has such a strong personality, that it was a good thing.

Since I was not there with all the super fans, I will leave it to those that were there to discuss. Oh, wait, that might be considered un-superfan-like conduct, so I guess those of you that were there can't discuss it either.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nothing to "believe". In the part you quoted I already pointed out I was not there.

Two super fan points awarded to Pablo for going to Mason Madness.

Two demerits against wijg for not being at Mason madness. An additional 3 demerits for not being 100% positive. I will turn in my super fan badge at the next meeting.

I could see it being funny to crack a joke about how porous Holloway's defense is. As you indicate, interesting to single him out on it. It just seems like it would have been a moment that I would have been embarrassed to be a part of to be a crowd of "5,000" chanting it at the guy expected to be one of our stars of the upcoming year. Maybe Holloway just has such a strong personality, that it was a good thing.

Since I was not there with all the super fans, I will leave it to those that were there to discuss. Oh, wait, that might be considered un-superfan-like conduct, so I guess those of you that were there can't discuss it either.

Hewitt's "ribbing" has always felt a little off to me, but the players seem to like him despite the things he says about them publicly sometimes.

It is entirely possible that Holloway knew Hewitt would do it and was in on the "joke."