PROVIDENCE UPDATE

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I am in an uncomfortable position of defending vcu. I just don’t recall any vcu players having any off the court issues. Maybe I am just forgetting. I thought Shaka and Rhoades ran clean programs with no off the court issues.

Actually vcc has not had many player issues at all or any that I can remember. I actually miss Shaka - he was a great coach.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
Will wade was an epic scum bag. Also they have had at least 2 assault cases involving women. I’ll agree Shaka did it right. Capel seems like a standup guy.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
With Fernandez, Oduro, and Gaines all going to Providence, rumor is they are changing their name to the Patriots for at least one season.
I know Fernandez didn't get a lot of playing time, but I'm questioning that 4 star ranking.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not to pile on the Kim hate pile, but with three of his Mason players still in the portal and two incoming Mason freshmen settling for lesser programs, it does seem fair to question if he’s the ace recruiter many of us presumed him to be.

And if I was a a Providence fan given that he’s brought four of his recruits to an even tougher conference, I think it would be fair for them to ask that same question. Time will tell.
Not rooting for Providence next year, but doesn't English have some good returners from last years team?

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Not to pile on the Kim hate pile, but with three of his Mason players still in the portal and two incoming Mason freshmen settling for lesser programs, it does seem fair to question if he’s the ace recruiter many of us presumed him to be.

And if I was a a Providence fan given that he’s brought four of his recruits to an even tougher conference, I think it would be fair for them to ask that same question. Time will tell.
Tom - don't know if you've bothered to check out Friar's Talk but lots of people on their boards are raising this very point. It was interesting to observe events unfold after KE got hired. It was a mixed bag at first, but then English got Oduro, Fernandez, Ticket, to follow him, and the fans rejoiced! Oduro's a STUD they exclaimed! Ticket is a former Vol! Fernandez a future star!!!

But then people started pointing out that, well, the signings are exciting but didn't all these guys play for a team that finished 5th in a pedestrian A10, and these same players are now expected to compete in the uber-competitive Big East??

Lots of cognitive dissonance over on Friar Talk.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom - don't know if you've bothered to check out Friar's Talk but lots of people on their boards are raising this very point. It was interesting to observe events unfold after KE got hired. It was a mixed bag at first, but then English got Oduro, Fernandez, Ticket, to follow him, and the fans rejoiced! Oduro's a STUD they exclaimed! Ticket is a former Vol! Fernandez a future star!!!

But then people started pointing out that, well, the signings are exciting but didn't all these guys play for a team that finished 5th in a pedestrian A10, and these same players are now expected to compete in the uber-competitive Big East??

I don’t pretend to know who they have returning, but I’d be shocked if Oduro’s not their best player next season. Unlike Ticket and Fernandez— at least up until now — Josh has proven to be a go-to player who can create his own shot. I believe his game will play well in the Big East.

Ticket and Justyn can be pieces to the puzzle, but nothing they’ve shown me yet leads me too believe they will be stars at a higher level. Fernandez is only a sophomore, so the opportunity for growth is obviously much bigger.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t pretend to know who they have returning, but I’d be shocked if Oduro’s not their best player next season. Unlike Ticket and Fernandez— at least up until now — Josh has proven to be a go-to player who can create his own shot. I believe his game will play well in the Big East.

Ticket and Justyn can be pieces to the puzzle, but nothing they’ve shown me yet leads me too believe they will be stars at a higher level. Fernandez is only a sophomore, so the opportunity for growth is obviously much bigger.
Bryce Hopkins is their best player by a mile. Josh should be effective but he’ll have to get used to not being the first option on offense at Providence.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Bryce Hopkins is their best player by a mile. Josh should be effective but he’ll have to get used to not being the first option on offense at Providence.
The twitter posts on the Friar's board has CKE stating that Hopkins is one of the three players around which he will build his team. The other two were not anyone he was bringing in from Mason. So I would expect Oduro and Gaines not to get the minutes they were expecting.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The twitter posts on the Friar's board has CKE stating that Hopkins is one of the three players around which he will build his team. The other two were not anyone he was bringing in from Mason. So I would expect Oduro and Gaines not to get the minutes they were expecting.
I think they’ll get plenty of minutes, they’re good enough to play in the Big East, but they will not be walking the ball up the floor looking for Josh in a post-up on every possession. He’s gonna have to learn to play without the ball and that probably will be good for his development.

Oduro, Hopkins and Devin Carter will be a pretty dynamic trio, but there's somewhat of a similar issue facing him at Providence regarding roster building right now that was the same at Mason.

Questions of who's starting at Point again, seemingly missing on some guys in the portal that he didn't already know (Missed out on Graham Ike and now Charles Pride)... starting to sound like some similar issues, even though I think PC is still gonna do quite well, like I said, Hopkins-Oduro-Carter is gonna be no joke as a trio.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
@mkaufman1 Maybe somebody should put our Providence-related posts where they belong — the trash can lol — so we’re no longer sullying Nico’s welcome thread?