Possible coaching scenarios

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Based solely on what has been said here and by him about the vcu fans, I would be ecstatic with Rhoades. The fact that he has any head coaching experience, where he is making the final decision regardless of level of competition.

If everything else checked out on Rhoades, I think everyone knows any hiring is a risk, but the fan base would provide cover for at least trying to take us to the next level. In my mind, it is about making a pick you can justify (by your due diligence) and then dealing with it in a timely manner should it not turn out right.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd be thrilled w/a Rhoades hire, but I do think there's a level of risk here in that he's never been a head coach at this level, or even an assistant or player at a higher level.

You mitigate some of that risk in that he has experience as a head coach and has done well, but the competition isn't as rough at DII either.

I agree there's risk in anything, but the fact that vcu has gone 3-for-3 on its most recent coaching hires shows there's a formula that can be successful if you're willing to be open-minded.

Both Capel and Shaka were far less proven or experienced than Rhoades, who won at a .850 clip at Randolph-Macon before moving on to vcu.

I go back to the reality that when Shaka was first approached by Power-6 schools after vcu's Final Four run, Rhoades was the favored choice to replace him. If he's good enough to lead that program, he's certainly good enough for us.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I agree there's risk in anything, but the fact that vcu has gone 3-for-3 on its most recent coaching hires shows there's a formula that can be successful if you're willing to be open-minded.

Both Capel and Shaka were far less proven or experienced than Rhoades, who won at a .850 clip at Randolph-Macon before moving on to vcu.

I go back to the reality that when Shaka was first approached by Power-6 schools after vcu's Final Four run, Rhoades was the favored choice to replace him. If he's good enough to lead that program, he's certainly good enough for us.

I don't disagree with any of that - same reason I wanted/want Mike Dunlap.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Assuming that Rhodes is desirable as a head coach, I have 2 questions:
1. How much is he making at vcu as an assistant?
2. Would he be "allowed" by vcu to take a head coaching job with a team in the same league? My sense is that it is rare for assistants at one school take a HC job at another school in the same league. Is it common for basketball assistants to sign something equivalent to a 'non-compete' clause?

My guess is that there was similar buzz about Bill Courtney (and not just from Tom) when he was an assistant at Mason. There's some truth to the "grass is always greener" proverb.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
2. Would he be "allowed" by vcu to take a head coaching job with a team in the same league? My sense is that it is rare for assistants at one school take a HC job at another school in the same league. Is it common for basketball assistants to sign something equivalent to a 'non-compete' clause?

My guess is that there was similar buzz about Bill Courtney (and not just from Tom) when he was an assistant at Mason. There's some truth to the "grass is always greener" proverb.

Those are some good questions. I would suspect it is less of an issue of an Assistant going to another school in the same conference as opposed to a head coach - I could very well be wrong and it depends on how his contract was written.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think it is safe to say no assistant coach has a contract that says he couldn't take a HC job within conference. Who would sign that?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It might be an unwritten rule. Anyone know of such scenario in history?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Coen is safe. Rhoades is good. Can we think further outside the box?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think it is safe to say no assistant coach has a contract that says he couldn't take a HC job within conference. Who would sign that?

Well then get the limo, hookers and blow and drive down to Richmond and make a deal.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

1. vcu has given Shaka's staff several raises since 2011, but I know for a fact that he's not making more than $250,000. That's still very good money in Richmond, but we could double his salary and give him a start at the A-10 level instead of having to slum it at some low major.

2. vcu couldn't stop him from leaving to take a HC job in the A-10. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if St. Joe's made a run at him if they ever get rid of Martelli -- Rhoades is a Pa. native and a star HS player.

The guy is going to be a D-1 HC sooner than later. He's been extremely picky about the jobs he's pursued because he has young kids and has a very good situation at vcu. But if we could land him, it would be a huge score. He's one of those guys who simply doesn't know how to fail.

Bricker

Starter
This is a fun topic and all but do we really think that the powers that be would even begin to entertain the idea of cutting Hewitt loose before his contract is up?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is a fun topic and all but do we really think that the powers that be would even begin to entertain the idea of cutting Hewitt loose before his contract is up?

If they don't, they're f**king idiots.

The AD at UNCW fiddled blithely while a once-proud program burned to the ground. Then her replacement opted for a BCS retread who has only guided it further into oblivion. They may never recover.

We do not want to become UNCW.

Scythe

Starter
#3, but that's because I'm willing to let anyone attempt to do a better job at this point. In reality, #2.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Good question. Contrary to what some people post on here, the people in our AD are very bright. I am sure they are concerned about where things are headed already. If a large group of boosters presented their concerns in an appropriate manner, I am sure they would do what they could to address the situation.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Good question. Contrary to what some people post on here, the people in our AD are very bright. I am sure they are concerned about where things are headed already. If a large group of boosters presented their concerns in an appropriate manner, I am sure they would do what they could to address the situation.

I also think they have a freer hand to do what they need to do under Cabrerra than they did under Merten.

Bricker

Starter
If they don't, they're f**king idiots.

Well... yeah. That's kinda what I was worried about since I am not as close/connected to the program as many of you are. But I think the past several posts have helped answer my question. I feel a little more encouraged now.