Possible coaching scenarios

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Since it seems like almost every post is about our coaching staff, I thought it would be helpful to have a thread to discuss the different scenarios moving forward. They are:

1. Let Hewitt have the duration of his five-year contract to see if his plan comes together.

2. Fire him and his staff after the season, and allow the new coach and his assistants determine which recruits to maintain (assuming they still want to come here).

3. Fire Hewitt mid-season and promote one of the assistants to take over the team.

If we did hire an assistant to take over the reins this year with the possibility of keeping the job , I am very intrigued by Chris Kreider. We have seen a lot of young coaches emerge nationally after the job that Brad Stevens did at Butler, and Chris certainly seems like a sharp guy based on what I have heard and gleaned from the few times I have talked with him.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Since it seems like almost every post is about our coaching staff, I thought it would be helpful to have a thread to discuss the different scenarios moving forward. They are:

1. Let Hewitt have the duration of his five-year contract to see if his plan comes together.

2. Fire him and his staff after the season, and allow the new coach and his assistants determine which recruits to maintain (assuming they still want to come here).

3. Fire Hewitt mid-season and promote one of the assistants to take over the team.

If we did hire an assistant to take over the reins this year with the possibility of keeping the job , I am very intrigued by Chris Kreider. We have seen a lot of young coaches emerge nationally after the job that Brad Stevens did at Butler, and Chris certainly seems like a sharp guy based on what I have heard and gleaned from the few times I have talked with him.

Gimme Door 3, please, Mr. Game Show Host.

I agree that Kreider would be a good pick for an interim coach. A hungry, energetic young coach could be just what this program needs.

That would help him, too, because whoever we hire on a permanent basis is most likely gonna want to bring a whole new staff. Even 2 months as a HC would look good on Kreider's resume for landing another job.

KAOriginal

All-American
In my dreams, #2- TOC would sit Hewitt down, agree to a termination deal and let Hewitt publicly resign after this season. If Hewitt has any hope of ever coaching a real program again....he needs to say he got back in too fast and needs time away. Saves face for him and the University.

I cant say on promoting an asst if it was interim deal. From those of you at games, it doesn't give me too much hope that they are a long term answer.

But when the time comes for the next coach....I would hope more consideration than "how can I say F U to Larranaga" will prevail and we can take at look at some assistants.

Let's poach Skerry!

Harry

Starter

I vote for #2. Firing Hewitt now, while it might be satisfying, probably would ensure we do not win another game this year. Hewitt's 20 plus years of experience might be good for a win against St. Bonnie.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If it were up to me, I would do my best to get Hewitt to resign either immediately for "personal reasons" or at the end of the season at the latest. As mentioned elsewhere, that would allow him to save face, keep open the option of coaching somewhere else in the future (hopefully vcu). For us, we would hopefully save paying him some or all of the remaining money on his contract and we get to move on.

I had not thought of promoting Chris Kreider. I don't know much about him, but that would be a bold move, indeed. It would fall in line with my idea earlier of bringing in an assistant to groom for the head coaching job when Hewitt leaves, so if at the end of the two years, we would still have a connection with the recruits. With Kreider, we already have the connection.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I am leaning towards #2 - but that is assuming a strong coaching search is underway to find a young aggressive candidate. Someone with a strong personality, that is either good at Xs and Os and/or recruiting and can put together a strong team of assistants to balance out knowledge and skill requirements. I want an aggressive ballsy move - enough playing it safe.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
In theory, I'd like to say #3 b/c I'd like to see if the players would respond to an assistant coach and do a 180. I think we'd all feel better seeing that Hewitt was definetly the problem.

However, #2 is more logical.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How about going after Michael White at Louisiana Tech. He is a hot coach under 40. Has a lot of potential.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Personal[edit]
White was born to father, Kevin and mother, Jane in Dunedin, Florida. His father Kevin White currently serves as Director of Athletics at Duke University. As a result of his father's career path, the White family moved frequently throughout Michael's childhood. In 1995, White graduated from Jesuit High School in New Orleans. From 1995 to 1999, he attended the University of Mississippi on a basketball scholarship. After a brief stint playing basketball professionally, White returned to Ole Miss and graduated with a bachelor's degree in Business Administration in 2000. White is married to the former Kira Zschau, an All-SECvolleyball player at Ole Miss, who also has a law degree from the university. The couple has two daughters, Rylee and Maggie Jane, and twin boys, Collin and Keegan.

Playing career[edit]
White played at Ole Miss from 1995 to 1999. In 1995, White began his four-year collegiate basketball player as a freshman guard of the Ole Miss Rebels men's basketball team. He became a starter in the eighth game of his freshman year and remained a starter for the remainder of his four years at Ole Miss. During White's college career, he had 370 assists, the 6th highest total in Ole Miss history. He also led his team to two SEC Western Division Titles, three consecutive NCAA Men's Basketball Tournaments (1997, 1998 and 1999), and the first NCAA Tournament victory in the history of Ole Miss. He played professional basketball with the IBL's New Mexico Slam and internationally in England. [3]

Coaching career[edit]
Jacksonville State[edit]
After earning his bachelor's degree at Ole Miss, White joined the men's basketball coaching staff at Jacksonville State in 2000. White stayed at the university for four seasons where he was an assistant coach from 2000 to 2003 and the Associate Head Coach from 2003 to 2004. During his time at Jacksonville State, he helped coordinate the team's recruiting activities. These efforts paid off as the men's basketball team achieved its greatest success since moving up to the Division I ranks, and five Jacksonville State recruits were named all-conference players during White's four-year stint.[3] In 2002, Jacksonville State recorded its first conference tournament victory since moving up to Division I. The following year, Jacksonville State went 20–10 for the year marking the winningest season in the school's Division I history.[4]

Ole Miss[edit]
Louisiana Tech[edit]

On March 30, 2011, Michael White was named by Louisiana Tech as the 17th head coach of the Bulldogs basketball team. He replaced the fired Kerry Rupp.[2] In his first season, White led the program to their first appearance in the Western Athletic Conference Tournament Championship Game. By the next season, Louisiana Tech although picked 4th by the Western Athletic Conference Pre-Season Coaches Poll, had a stretch of 18 straight wins leading to a conference championship tie, garnering the first AP ranking in over 20 years, and a NIT tournament win.[5][6][7]

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Let him come back for 2014-2015. However, make it crystal clear that it's NIT/NCAA or bust.
Raider-I understand where you are coming from, but let me pose this question. Do you think there is any chance we are better next year losing BA, Wright, and even Williams to some extent, and replacing them with a bunch of freshmen, and and untested Gray who has had the wind completely sucked out of him by that point?

I think most on here will admit next year is likely going to be worse than this year. If so, why wait to make a change? This is part the epiphany that has come over me recently.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Raider-I understand where you are coming from, but let me pose this question. Do you think there is any chance we are better next year losing BA, Wright, and even Williams to some extent, and replacing them with a bunch of freshmen, and and untested Gray who has had the wind completely sucked out of him by that point?

I think most on here will admit next year is likely going to be worse than this year. If so, why wait to make a change? This is part the epiphany that has come over me recently.

Brian speaks the Lord's truth.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What about Tod Kowzleckcy from Toledo?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
How about going after Michael White at Louisiana Tech. He is a hot coach under 40. Has a lot of potential.

Hot mid-major coaches like White zoom past us on their way to Power-6 jobs.

Most likely, it's either gonna be an assistant or a low-major HC looking to take the next rung on the ladder ... unless we hire another guy who just got paid big bucks to go the f**k away.