Possible coaching scenarios

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
While we're just throwing names around, I was thinking about this last night and discussing it with another friend. Here are some names I thought of

Scott Cherry - obviously a Larranaga assistant, but hes improved High Point's program over the few years hes been there.

Bill Courtney- For obvious reasons, even though hes not been successful at Cornell

Pat Skerry- had to build from the ground up, seems like hes doing big things at Towson, might be willing to try to get a big payday in a "Basketball first" environment

Kerry Keating- he was brought up through UT and UCLA's programs and is known as a "top recruiter" but has also had success at Santa Clara. Hes originally an east coast guy, and could be looking for a bump up. He also really liked the Green Machine when we played SC in the CBI, so maybe that could draw him. He did sign an extension in October 2013, but we all know that generally means nothing.

I do think that Hewitt will get at least 4 years unless things drop off, which it looks like it is. I could see the team faltering the rest of this year, and all of next yr, and him being gone before year 5. These are just some possible names I thought of.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I still like LaVall Jordan as a possible candidate. Top recruiter at Michigan and coaches their guards. Former player and assistant at Butler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was very impressed with Keating during the CBI.

Skerry is probably going to get a BCS job in another 2 years if he stays at Towson. I don't know why he would leave for something less now, instead of waiting. And if we did get him, he might easily Rick Barnes us after 1 year.

What about Bill Coen from NU? I'm sure he'd love the chance to see what he can do with real facilities and fiscal support.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Bill Coen is interesting. If we have the solutions to the problems which are "holding" him back at NU then he should be on the list. But this situation is even more difficult bc remember how the nation voted when comparing Obama to Bush? Really must do our homework on the next coach.

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I've always liked Coen, but he's had some damn good players and teams and still hasn't gotten them to the tournament. Shaver at W&M is another good CAA coach in the same boat.

Dawgs99

Starter
Give me a guy who really knows the game so I can tell what the Fu*k we're trying to do while on the court. Give me someone with passion and balls. Give me someone who gets in a kids a** (figuratively) when they play lazy defense. Give me someone who won't just hire a bunch of "yes" men as assistants. And finally give me someone who I as a fan can get behind and say, "As long as coach X is here we've always gotta chance".

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I mentioned this name before, but Randolph Childress asst at wake forest could be a diamomd in the rough. He has a son who can play too. Maybe some of you remember him.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Merten hired OCM. I used to drive him around and he told me Digger Phelps called him with a reccomendation. Had I known he would screw up our program I would of left him to die on our trips to richmond.

DAK

Preferred Walk-On
Let him have his 5 years unless he resigns.

Mason and Hewitt agreed to 5 years and I think that should be honored. I'm not saying I'm overly optimistic about our future with Hewitt, but he is our guy and I will continue to try and look for positives while he is here.

I have a hard time believing that he "doesn't care" of "isn't trying". He has a lot to lose. His wife loves the area, his daughter goes to school here and he has full control over a great program...while making a boat load of money.

Let's just hope he gets a killer SG/PG to add to the recruiting class and pray that we have some difference makers on the roster next year.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason and Hewitt agreed to 5 years and I think that should be honored. I'm not saying I'm overly optimistic about our future with Hewitt, but he is our guy and I will continue to try and look for positives while he is here.

I have a hard time believing that he "doesn't care" of "isn't trying". He has a lot to lose. His wife loves the area, his daughter goes to school here and he has full control over a great program...while making a boat load of money.

Let's just hope he gets a killer SG/PG to add to the recruiting class and pray that we have some difference makers on the roster next year.

I respect your opinion, but Hewitt has exactly zero to lose -- other than a job he had to be convinced to take -- if he gets fired by Mason.

He has more than enough money to continue to live in the DC area for the remainder of his life. He won't have to work again unless he really wants to. So there's no real downside for him -- win or lose, it's all good in the hood.

That's not to say he "isn't trying." I don't know who has accused him of that. He's just not a good basketball coach and anyone who watches us play can arrive at that conclusion in about 3 minutes.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
So here's the question if TOC does decide to bite the bullet - How much risk is he willing to take?

There's no such thing as a guarantee, but for a midmajor program like ours, you generally have to take on more risk if you want to hit a homerun. A proven winner at our level isn't going to come here, unless he's screwed up badly at the next level.

Harry

Starter
Bill Coen is interesting. If we have the solutions to the problems which are "holding" him back at NU then he should be on the list. But this situation is even more difficult bc remember how the nation voted when comparing Obama to Bush? Really must do our homework on the next coach.
Coen seems like settling...let's continue plotting to get Rhoades from vcu.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So here's the question if TOC does decide to bite the bullet - How much risk is he willing to take?

There's no such thing as a guarantee, but for a midmajor program like ours, you generally have to take on more risk if you want to hit a homerun. A proven winner at our level isn't going to come here, unless he's screwed up badly at the next level.

There's really not that much risk if you do it right, keep all your options open and are making decisions for the right reasons -- i.e., not trying to make a "splashy" hire to make your fan base forget that you let the previous guy walk.

I mostly just don't want another re-tread hire. An energetic young guy with charisma would help erase the stench of Hewitt fail.

A guy like Rhoades has the experience, energy and expertise to become a big-time winner here, but he's far from the only one. We just need the administration to be willing to pull the rip cord on our current disaster and snap up a really good coach before somebody else does.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
There's really not that much risk if you do it right, keep all your options open and are making decisions for the right reasons -- i.e., not trying to make a "splashy" hire to make your fan base forget that you let the previous guy walk.

I mostly just don't want another re-tread hire. An energetic young guy with charisma would help erase the stench of Hewitt fail.

A guy like Rhoades has the experience, energy and expertise to become a big-time winner here, but he's far from the only one. We just need the administration to be willing to pull the rip cord on our current disaster and snap up a really good coach before somebody else does.

I'd be thrilled w/a Rhoades hire, but I do think there's a level of risk here in that he's never been a head coach at this level, or even an assistant or player at a higher level.

You mitigate some of that risk in that he has experience as a head coach and has done well, but the competition isn't as rough at DII either.