P.I.G. or no P.I.G.

sigmanorm

Starter
It looks like the PIG may come down to our last game of the season vs Duquesne.

The facts -
Duquesne (3-8 conf) -remaining games - St Bonnie, Dayton, St. Louis, UMass, Mason
Fordham (2-9 conf) - remaining games - St Joes, vcu, Lasalle, Rhode Island, GW
Rhode Island (2-9 conf) - remaining games - St Joes, St Bonnie, UMass, Richmond, Fordham
Mason (2-9 conf) - remaining games - St Louis, Richmond, GW, Lasalle, Duquesne

Only tiebreaker we win at this point is Duquesne.

The predictions -
RealTimeRPI predictions for the remainder of the season

Duquesne - 0-5
Fordham - 0-5
Rhode Island - 1-4 (win over Fordham)
Mason - 1-4 (win over Duquesne)

The unknown -
We would finish tied with Duquesne and Rhode Island with 3 wins and Fordham would finish last with 2. We would have the tie-breaker over Duquesne, but Duquesne would have it over Rhode Island and Rhode Island over us (since the first game against URI did not count as a conf win).

Anybody know the 3 way tiebreaker scenario?? We would have the worst overall record of the 3 teams. Hope that isn't the next tie-breaker.

Thoughts?

Nick

Four-star Recruit
Hmm I could see us actually winning 3 of our last 5. Not sure what I've been smoking this morning.

mason2k1

Starter
After we win tomorrow night, we lose out the rest of the season. Let's throw in another heartbreaker @ GW for good measure.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We would finish tied with Duquesne and Rhode Island with 3 wins and Fordham would finish last with 2. We would have the tie-breaker over Duquesne, but Duquesne would have it over Rhode Island and Rhode Island over us (since the first game against URI did not count as a conf win).

Anybody know the 3 way tiebreaker scenario?? We would have the worst overall record of the 3 teams. Hope that isn't the next tie-breaker.

Thoughts?

In a 3-way tie, you take each teams' total conference record against the other 2.

If we sweep Duquesne, we'd be 2-1 and that would put us ahead of them.

Hopefully we win a couple more and make it moot.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't see us winning any more games. 5 games left St. Louis, Richmond, GW, La Salle and Duquesne. We will be 3-13

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
So we win one more game? I think we'll beat Duquesne and go 3-13. Wow. That's just awful. F*** this.

We've "beaten up on" roughly 3 teams the entire time Hewitt has been here, so I don't think it'll be a beat down. As nice as that would be...

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
We've "beaten up on" roughly 3 teams the entire time Hewitt has been here, so I don't think it'll be a beat down. As nice as that would be...

I don't expect it to be a beat down. I expect it to be a close game, just one that we'll win.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Retweeted by Tom OConnor
Ángel Cabrera ‏@CabreraAngel 11m
Let's say @MasonMBB's tough inaugural regular season has been a warmup for the tournament http://whowantsnext.com/ #WhoWantsNext

Check out "Scoreboards Don't Lie" if you click on whowantsnext.com. GMU is included at the very bottom of the scoreboard comprising A-10 wins over BCS schools. They had to go back to GMU's win over UVA last season. I thought we joined the A-10 this year. I guess it still counts! Same players and more Hewitt equals 0 BCS wins as an actual A-10 member. We'll get our BCS win after we take 5 straight in Brooklyn. Yeah baby!

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
queue koolaid brian.
Good call. So here is what is happening. Gmubrian and Hewitt are still working on "Operation Trap Game". We tested it out against Duquesne and then really dropped the hammer on UMass just to make sure it worked when necessary. We have to drop back into obscurity for a little while for it to work in the A10 tourney. We have to surprise them, you know. The St. Bona loss was part of the plan. Gmubrian regrets not being able to let you guys in on the plan before the game.

El presidente almost let the cat out of the bag with his tweet. Gmubrian hopes he can count on you guys to keep the secret.

So, we are definitely in the PIG to ensure that we get the worst seeded team in round 3 of the tourney. The 1 seed won't know what hit them on day 4. Day 5 is then a cake walk for the championship. It is pure genius. Shhhh!

polepino

Starter
Retweeted by Tom OConnor
Ángel Cabrera ‏@CabreraAngel 11m
Let's say @MasonMBB's tough inaugural regular season has been a warmup for the tournament http://whowantsnext.com/ #WhoWantsNext

Heyy.... that's basically what I said last month...

http://masonhoops.com/board/threads/game-19-at-fordham-jan-22nd-7-pm-no-tv.218/page-5#post-10160

Just to be facetious, Hewitt is OBVIOUSLY using the whole season to prep the team for the A10 tourney :) Every game one piece just works better should be 100% come March

!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Dr. Cabrera, are you reading these boards too? Don't be so coy....:happy:

UPDATE

Duquesne 3-10 (at Mason, at St. Louis, UMass)
GMU 3-10 (at LaSalle, at GW, Duquesne)
Rhodey 3-11 (Fordham, Richmond)
Fordham 2-10 (vcu, LaSalle, GW, at Rhodey)

We're pretty much looking good if we beat Duquesne to avoid the PIG. Won't likely surpass Rhodey for the #10 seed though; they are playing well recently and would tiebreaker us at four wins apiece--they are probably good for five wins even.

#10 seed would give us 630 game Thursday; more likely #11 seed gives us 900 game Thursday. PIG gives us Wednesday night then 230 game Thursday if we win.

Richmond would be a nice opponent if we could manage it first round; you would think Dayton and St. Bonnie would be as well, but probably not.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/conference-tournaments/atlantic-10-bracket/

Interesting site gives us a 33% chance to make quarters (ILL TAKE IT!), 8.41% for the semis, 2.35% for the finals, and around 0.5% to win the tourney. vcu is interestingly the favorite.