OT--Tournament Talk

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ughhh... didn't the refs really blow the call for Oakland as the ball glanced off an NC St. finger? Still would have had 1.7 seconds to put up a viable buzzer-beater in regulation for Oakland. Instead, they lose to NC St. in OT. Worst call I've seen from a tourney referee crew.

gmuballer14

Sixth Man
Ughhh... didn't the refs really blow the call for Oakland as the ball glanced off an NC St. finger? Still would have had 1.7 seconds to put up a viable buzzer-beater in regulation for Oakland. Instead, they lose to NC St. in OT. Worst call I've seen from a tourney referee crew.
You must have missed the call against Samford. Terrible

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It was actually the correct call. While it did touch the NC state finger, it was still touching the Oakland players hand after that.

hoops10

Sixth Man
Can't help thinking after watching almost all these mid major teams get embarrassed at the hands of power 5 schools (ie. JMU getting crushed by Duke, Same with Dayton, Duquesne, Wagner, Longwood, Vermont etc.) What's the point of this charade? Let's say there are 25 really good mid major teams in the country who then go get smashed year after year in "March Madness". Yea the only madness is allowing this to continue. The level of play with top tier teams is just flat out superior. It's like asking why doesn't pro baseball let AA teams play major league teams. Why doesn't the G league play NBA players. It's time for the NCAA to get together and have different tournaments by level of play. Oh yes I know Mason, vcu made it to the final four. So how many times is that going to happen? And let's not forget the roll $ play in this. Especially now with NIL issues. It's virtually impossible for mid majors to compete with dollars against the big boys. So why are they competing against them? Maybe I'm all wet, but to me It's wrong to watch hard working kids get their buts beat on national TV. I get the euphoria of getting selected. It's amazing, but the excitement is quickly dashed by reality. Let's acknowledge the best teams in basketball, but do it by levels of play. I'd like to see two national champions at two levels 1 and 1A, power5, mid major. It will need a lot of discussion, but I think it can happen. Just my opinion. It's OK if you disagree.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Can't help thinking after watching almost all these mid major teams get embarrassed at the hands of power 5 schools (ie. JMU getting crushed by Duke, Same with Dayton, Duquesne, Wagner, Longwood, Vermont etc.) What's the point of this charade? Let's say there are 25 really good mid major teams in the country who then go get smashed year after year in "March Madness". Yea the only madness is allowing this to continue. The level of play with top tier teams is just flat out superior. It's like asking why doesn't pro baseball let AA teams play major league teams. Why doesn't the G league play NBA players. It's time for the NCAA to get together and have different tournaments by level of play. Oh yes I know Mason, vcu made it to the final four. So how many times is that going to happen? And let's not forget the roll $ play in this. Especially now with NIL issues. It's virtually impossible for mid majors to compete with dollars against the big boys. So why are they competing against them? Maybe I'm all wet, but to me It's wrong to watch hard working kids get their buts beat on national TV. I get the euphoria of getting selected. It's amazing, but the excitement is quickly dashed by reality. Let's acknowledge the best teams in basketball, but do it by levels of play. I'd like to see two national champions at two levels 1 and 1A, power5, mid major. It will need a lot of discussion, but I think it can happen. Just my opinion. It's OK if you disagree.
How short of a memory do you have?

OP
P

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I get what you are saying--but maybe it would be too much to blow up the facade.

A part of me has always been intrigued by the idea of the NIT being a tournament set aside for mid-tier and below conferences and the NCAA being for the big money conferences. Maybe it would be decided by conference budgets or something.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Ugh... the team from Richmond won again against USF 75-70. They play at Utah on Wednesday in the NIT quarterfinals

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I have solved this problem now that sports betting is legal in North Carolina. I bet on them to win. If they win, I make money. If they lose, I can laugh at them. A worthy trade-off.
I would legitimately follow this tactic (and use it to compensate myself by betting against my teams in big games with bets I would gladly lose if they win) but we can't bet on instate teams in VA.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I have solved this problem now that sports betting is legal in North Carolina. I bet on them to win. If they win, I make money. If they lose, I can laugh at them. A worthy trade-off.

I would legitimately follow this tactic (and use it to compensate myself by betting against my teams in big games with bets I would gladly lose if they win) but we can't bet on instate teams in VA.
How about this: As you are getting ready to bet, instead, donate the money to our NIL collective. Whether vcu wins or not, you know you are making our team better. Alternatively, you could share your wining bets with the collective. That way you are always betting for Mason to win.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How about this: As you are getting ready to bet, instead, donate the money to our NIL collective. Whether vcu wins or not, you know you are making our team better. Alternatively, you could share your wining bets with the collective. That way you are always betting for Mason to win.
I bow down to you ;)