OT - NCAA Tourney Talk

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Got to think that the P5 schools are going to re-evaluate and try to make changes via the NCAA so that the FAUs and SDSUs won’t be able to get this far.
I would agree but there is an upper limit on how much they can demand since these changes are what they beat the table for. The reason basketball did not turn out like football is the investment cost for basketball is lower and the overall talent pool is a bit larger.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I just read that one Miami player is getting $800k. No way we will ever be able to compete with that.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I just read that one Miami player is getting $800k. No way we will ever be able to compete with that.

Nijel Pack NIL deal with John Ruiz​

Nijel Pack transferred from Kansas State after last season, when he was the Big 12 Most Improved Player and a conference first-team performer who averaged 17.4 points per game. Purdue recruited him heavily, but Miami had a name, image and likeness arrangement that was too good to refuse: $800,000 for two years.

John Ruiz, who runs LifeWallet, explained his NIL strategy for Pack and other Hurricanes athletes.

"That's what marketing is about, right?" Ruiz told CBS Sports. "Whether you like the deal, you don't like the deal. You hate me, you hate Nijel. You love Nijel. Whatever the circumstances are you're being talked about."

"How much would it cost LifeWallet to be in all the articles that he's been in?," Ruiz added. "You're probably looking at $25 million."

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The craziness of the postseason isn't exclusive to the NCAA tournament. Not sure anyone had Florida Atlantic, San Diego St, Miami and Connecticut in their Final Four but the NIT Final Four is also just as nuts: North Texas, Wisconsin, Utah Valley and UAB. Typically three P5 schools and one smaller school make it; this year's script is a 180.

The transfer portal, NIL, injuries, Covid extra year players...whatever is going on has made it really chaotic.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You just now saw that.....lol........

Life Wallet is at 84 CENTS a share. Anyone think it's a buy?

Maybe Mason can find them some customers and Ruiz starts cutting our players some checks too.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

This article is very interesting from an old school player take on the current college NIL landscape and what star teams and players mindset may be and what is on their plates..... school, practice, family obligations, time for friends/socializing, and now NIL obligations. Talks about how they saw first hand how NIL adds a whole another dimension to a players schedule and overall work load/ethic.

Back in the day a lot of players were gym and bball junkies and were playing ball 24/7 and getting work in all the time. If a player doesn't get a NIL deal, or is promised more money from another school, it is very easy to hop in the portal after a year to go chase money now.

They relished in the fact they received a bball scholarship to play at UNC and understood the relevance of that. I agree with them that the game has shifted from a team approach to more of an individual approach where the player is all about themselves and thinks how much they can get paid now.

Masonfan3

Starter

Nijel Pack NIL deal with John Ruiz​

Nijel Pack transferred from Kansas State after last season, when he was the Big 12 Most Improved Player and a conference first-team performer who averaged 17.4 points per game. Purdue recruited him heavily, but Miami had a name, image and likeness arrangement that was too good to refuse: $800,000 for two years.

John Ruiz, who runs LifeWallet, explained his NIL strategy for Pack and other Hurricanes athletes.

"That's what marketing is about, right?" Ruiz told CBS Sports. "Whether you like the deal, you don't like the deal. You hate me, you hate Nijel. You love Nijel. Whatever the circumstances are you're being talked about."

"How much would it cost LifeWallet to be in all the articles that he's been in?," Ruiz added. "You're probably looking at $25 million."

And I think Jordan Miller has a $100k deal.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Now Mason can announce the FAU AD to Mason. I’m joking, but would explain why Mason is taking so long to announce it’s AD.

Would be a bad hire though. Worst basketball facilities in all of college basketball.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Finishes like the first game game remind me of how close we were to the same fate against UConn in 2006. It’s amazing how one missed shot at the buzzer altered our destiny. It’s a shame FAU had to be on the opposite side of that scenario.