OT: COVID-19 Impacts During 2021-22 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Are there any cases of college basketball players being hospitalized with Covid? Any long Covid cases among this extremely healthy group?

I am seriously asking. I am not aware of any, but that doesn't mean hospitalization and long-term health issues haven't effected college athletes.

But if not, I think we should play the games. Old fat dudes stay home.

Think about it this way, you've got 13 players...those 13 players each take 5 classes with anywhere between 24 and 450 students in them each along with instructors, they also live in dorms with as many as 100 students per floor, they also eat in dining halls sometimes with hundreds of students in them, plus workers...what you're trying to do is tamp down on community spread not necessarily prevent killing the athletes.

We do know myocarditis has been detected in some student-athletes https://www.espn.com/college-sports...uggests-higher-risk-post-covid-heart-problems

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Think about it this way, you've got 13 players...those 13 players each take 5 classes with anywhere between 24 and 450 students in them each along with instructors, they also live in dorms with as many as 100 students per floor, they also eat in dining halls sometimes with hundreds of students in them, plus workers...what you're trying to do is tamp down on community spread not necessarily prevent killing the athletes.

We do know myocarditis has been detected in some student-athletes https://www.espn.com/college-sports...uggests-higher-risk-post-covid-heart-problems

Keep in mind that @Walter is from Knoxville where there's no COVID.

;)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We are getting close but we haven’t crossed yet. Let’s take it easy with the name calling and potshots.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Chuck Norris Qt GIF

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
·
44m

There are leagues discussing keeping their forfeit rules in place, too. More TK later today in the Court Report.

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
·
47m

News: Two leagues reversed their forfeit policies on Tuesday.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby tells @CBSSports (as @RossDellenger 1st reported) the Big 12 will no longer have forfieits. Big West commissioner Dan Butterly also told CBS Sports his league’s ADs reversed the rule.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

stu durando
@studurando
·
8m

Regarding vaccinations among A-10 programs, McGlade said “north of 90%” of tier 1 personnel – players, coaches, trainers, managers – have been fully vaccinated. She hopes all programs will have boosters by mid-January. Four programs reported getting boosters this week.

stu durando
@studurando
·
19m

To clarify, she said that the forfeit would be applied upon a game not being played but would be reversed if it can be rescheduled.

stu durando
@studurando
·
22m

At this point, the A-10 will allow conference games to be made up if a team is unable to play due to COVID. Under current policy, the inability to play is not an automatic forfeit. Some leagues established a deadline for schedule makeups but the A-10 did not, McGlade said.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

stu durando
@studurando
·
29m

SLU not actually "paused." The Billikens canceled one game but are practicing.

Quote Tweet

KChyx-a6_normal.jpg

Matt Norlander

@MattNorlander
· 1h

As of 11:20 a.m. ET on Wednesday, 52 D-I men’s basketball schools this season have had to temporarily stop playing because of COVID, with more than 40 of those currently on pause.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

stu durando

@studurando

·
18h

Here's what I was told and wrote in November: "If a (vaxed) player contracts COVID, he will be quarantined until free of symptoms and then see a doctor, and a return-to-play plan will be instituted, taking no more than five days."

stu durando

@studurando

·
18h

Between last Saturday and Christmas, there are 12 games involving A-10 teams that have been canceled. vcu and Rhode Island have had 2 canceled.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
·
40m

Breaking: The ACC ADs just voted to rescind the league's forfeit rule, a source tells @CBSSports, effecitve immediately.

The league will also move to the “seven-and-one” rule, meaning a team will have to play if it has seven players and one coach available.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Unless I am misreading the room, I think everyone is just having fun.

For those that missed the link/joke, "No COVID in Knoxville" is a semi-viral quote from the Vanderbilt baseball coach describing the UT crowd in Knoxville.

I assume @Walter picked up on it. Whether or not octogenarians who make inane comments on everything did, I couldn't give a F*ck less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.