OT: COVID-19 Impacts During 2021-22 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Coppin State's game just got cancelled. Mason will be scrambling to find a replacement maybe?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
23m

vcu’s home game with New Hampshire, scheduled for Tuesday, has been canceled due to COVID-19 protocols within the Rams program, source told @Stadium.

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
22m

Tuesday's game between USC and Oklahoma State has been canceled due to issues related to COVID-19 within USC's program, per release.

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
30m

Tuesday's game between Memphis and Alabama State will not be played as scheduled due to issues related to COVID-19 within Memphis' program, per release

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
4h

Source: Today's game between Florida International and Bethune Cookman has been canceled due to issues related to COVID-19 within Florida International's program.

Last edited:
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Daniel Frank
@n1a2v3y4
·
58m

Rhody goes down with COVID

Quote Tweet

oqKwP7AV_normal.jpg

Charleston Basketball

@CofCBasketball
· 2h

Sunday's Holiday Hoops Fest matchup with Rhode Island has been canceled due to COVID-19 related issues within the Rhode Island program. The game will be not be rescheduled.

https://cofcsports.com/news/2021/12...-game-canceled-due-to-covid-19-protocols.aspx

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
The problem for Mason is most teams are done Tuesday or Wednesday. All those players have already made travel arrangements to get home before Christmas. There is zero chance that any team other than those with a game currently scheduled for Thursday would play us.

The only shot we have for a game is for another team scheduled to play Thursday to have their game canceled like ours was where it won’t effect anyones travel plans for Christmas break. There aren’t a ton games scheduled for Thursday so options will be very limited if any.

FreeGunston12

All-American
The problem for Mason is most teams are done Tuesday or Wednesday. All those players have already made travel arrangements to get home before Christmas. There is zero chance that any team other than those with a game currently scheduled for Thursday would play us.

The only shot we have for a game is for another team scheduled to play Thursday to have their game canceled like ours was where it won’t effect anyones travel plans for Christmas break. There aren’t a ton games scheduled for Thursday so options will be very limited if any.
Wonder if we can grab New Hampshire since vcu is on pause and they were scheduled to play on Tuesday. Would only be a slight change to travel plans, I would assume.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

“'When I talked to the guys earlier, they were all talking about being vaccinated and then I never visited it again.'

— Memphis coach Penny Hardaway

It was an abject failure of leadership.

It was an inexcusable dereliction of Hardaway’s duty as a leader of a college basketball team.

Saturday’s Memphis-Tennessee game wasn’t canceled because Tyler Harris and Landers Nolley II tested positive that morning. It was canceled because so many other Memphis players were unvaccinated.

Vaccinated players would have been allowed to go ahead and play against Tennessee. Unvaccinated players would have had to sit out.

Counting the two players who tested positive and the throng of players who remain unvaccinated, Memphis was left with just four who could suit up.

That’s why so many Memphis fans made a fruitless — and expensive — trip to Nashville. That’s why the Tigers will not get to play a game that could be critical to its season résumé.

Not because Memphis had an unlucky COVID outbreak.

Because Hardaway failed to do his job.

And no, a coach can’t 'force' his players to be vaccinated. But a coach can make it a priority. A coach can revisit the subject again and again. A coach can educate and persuade."

"Some of you doubtless will try and tell me that college athletes all sail through COVID anyway. Even though that is not always true. But fine, put aside the obvious health concerns. Hardaway knew the COVID protocols. How about protecting his players’ ambitions on the court?

This is a team that was sidelined by COVID issues last season. So it’s not like any of this was a surprise. But now the Tigers have lost a critical game toward establishing their NCAA Tournament bona fides. And they have nobody to blame but themselves.

It’s both infuriating and embarrassing. Especially at a place that just attained Carnegie R1 designation as a top tier research university.

Memphis is an institution that values and advances scientific knowledge. But it also is represented by a basketball coach who doesn’t seem to give a flip."

Last edited:

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was taking my son and a couple of his friends to the game on the 23rd. Instead I'll buy him a $10 seat in the student section vs AU on the 21st. Maybe I'll give him a camera and see what he can get.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was taking my son and a couple of his friends to the game on the 23rd. Instead I'll buy him a $10 seat in the student section vs AU on the 21st. Maybe I'll give him a camera and see what he can get.
i have a seat for him in sec 115

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Was planning on going to the 12/23 CSU game. While I know the chances are slim, here's hoping they can find a replacement opponent to come to the Pat Dome.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
33m

Wednesday's game between Northeastern and St. Bonaventure has been cancelled due to COVID issues within Northeastern's program, per release. Game will not be rescheduled.

Matt Norlander

@MattNorlander

·
36m

And here’s a big one. Kentucky-Louisville is off due to COVID issues in Louisville’s program. Multiple positives with the Cardinals. Kentucky says it’s working to get a replacement game in.

Status
Not open for further replies.