OT: Conference Realignment

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I wish I had grown up with the sport when it was more regional, where the conferences made more geographic sense and the bowl games really mattered.

I blame Penn State for this: when they abandoned their rivalry with Pitt to join the Big 10 (in reality it was SCOTUS in Board of Regents that started screwing up college sports, but my dad is a Penn State alum and I don’t have found memories being dragged from Miami to Happy Valley in November to random Penn State home games as a kid and freezing my butt off so I blame them).

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy

Big 12 will add b/w 1 & 3 schools to join Colorado in 2024, sources told
@ActionNetworkHQ. League will 1st seek others from Pac-12 to join. If none do so, Big 12 would add 1 Group of 5 (UConn, Memphis, SDSU or UNLV) to reach even number of teams in 2024

https://actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-12-arizona-arizona-state-utah-will-add-more-schools-after-colorado?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy…

"Big 12 Eyeing Arizona, Arizona State & Utah, Source Says

Arizona is the most likely Pac-12 candidate to join Colorado in the Big 12, sources said. Arizona State, Utah, Oregon and Washington also are possibilities from the Pac-12.

If the Big 12 gets to 14 or 16 members for the 2024 season by adding Pac-12 schools, it would not add any other members.

“The dream scenario for the Big 12 would be to get the ‘Four Corner’ schools,” a source said, referring to Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah.

On Thursday, Colorado announced it was joining the Big 12. On Wednesday, Action Network first reported Colorado was joining the Big 12 and would receive a full media rights deal worth $31.7 million per year per school.

In the Big 12’s new Grant of Rights deal from 2025-31, ESPN’s contract guaranteed pro-rata — the same revenue ($20 million per school annually) — if the Big 12 added additional Power 5 schools. FOX was not contractually obligated to match its revenue ($11.7 million per school annually), but the network has agreed to do so if the Big 12 added other Power 5 schools, sources told Action Network.

This guarantees Colorado — and any other Power 5 schools moving to the Big 12 — a full media rights share of nearly $32 million in the Big 12 starting in 2025, sources said. However, any Group of Five additions would not receive a full $31.7 million share, sources said.

In recent weeks, Arizona president Robert Robbins recently has said he needs to see the Pac-12’s media rights deal and then decide what the Wildcats’ options best are. The Pac-12 has been seeking a media rights deal for the past 12 months.

During the Final Four in Houston, Robbins met with Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark to discuss the possibility of the Wildcats joining the Big 12, sources said."

5:50 PM · Jul 27, 2023

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. In fact that's exactly how the Big East conference started out as.
Watching the Big East and ACC in the early 80's was the best basketball viewing ever. Watch the 30 for 30 on the 83 NC State championship. I remember all the players on all those teams.

One and done, the transfer portal, realignment, and NIL will be the death of college basketball.

And get off my lawn.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"No. 1: Not your grandfather’s Big Ten​

Like it or not, this is no longer a conference of Midwest schools. USC and UCLA completely killed off that idea, although Rutgers and Maryland arguably already broke that barrier. I mean, even Nebraska felt a little weird, as did Penn State at the time. Moral of the story being: do not get caught up in what “makes sense.”

So, keeping an open mind, what are the biggest non-SEC brands left for the taking? Notre Dame is obviously at the top of the list, but the next ones up would be Clemson, Florida State, and Miami. Even five years ago, the notion of adding any of these southeast schools would be laughable, but the landscape across the sport has changed many times since then.

A 20-team conference, one that includes Clemson, Florida State, and Miami, is a very strange concept. However, every single time the Big Ten has added a school in the modern era, it has done so to increase the per-school revenue payouts thanks to tv contracts. The addition of these four institutions would do just that, and at a greater magnitude than anyone else, including Washington and Oregon. Therefore, if (and when) the Big Ten finally goes to 20, this is the first place in the country I would look."

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
No way the SEC is going to let the Big Ten out bid them for those three schools

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Are the SEC and Big Ten actually interested in going beyond 16 teams? Is anyone other than Notre Dame additive in terms of TV value? Also, much beyond 16 teams and you lose any semblance of being able to play everyone else on regular basis. Are there anti-trust concerns if they try to go to 20 or 24? (Delany seemed to think there could be in his interview as part of the realignment series.) — Robby W.

The SEC and Big Ten right now don’t want to expand and steal someone from the ACC or Pac-12 right now. Both commissioners Greg Sankey and Tony Petitti have said that publicly. But the potential implosion of the ACC or Pac-12 might change that. If the Pac-12 collapses or North Carolina, Virginia, Florida State, Clemson and the like somehow find a way out of the ACC Grant of Rights, the Big Ten and SEC would each be concerned about the other scooping them up, and that changes the dynamic. Sankey has maintained that the SEC only added Texas/Oklahoma because the schools approached the conference about coming and it would have been foolish to pass. (And yes, Notre Dame is the only obvious TV additive right now if you’re the SEC or Big Ten, unless a conference blows up and comes off the books).

If conferences grow further, it could open them up to antitrust concerns, yes, as Jim Delany told our Scott Dochterman recently. At that point, you’re almost a sport’s governing body with immense market power and the lawsuits that have been directed against the NCAA could turn their focus on the conferences as well. — Vannini

Why don’t schools separate football from their conference affiliation for all other sports? What is happening makes no sense for the athletes — even basketball with its winter midweek games. — Tom B.

I could not agree more with the premise behind this question. I was chatting with a Power 5 administrator just this week about how much simpler college sports would be if football was totally separate from everything else. Football is the least of the travel issues and logistical problems because it has so few games and they’re spaced out well. If I could wave a magic wand, I’d return to regional scheduling for all other sports. I do think it’s possible that college sports eventually gets to a model like the one you described, but it may take eight different steps to get there. We’d probably need to see the College Football Playoff (or an equivalent leadership group or person) take over managing the sport of football and then get the rest of the leagues together to pool rights and resources and/or divvy everything up. It’d be complicated, but it would also be a good outcome if it ever happens. — Auerbach"

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Saw on another board that the ACC is considering offering Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. Who knows if true. Not sure if the Huskies and Ducks would sign up for the GOR since they want to be in the Big Ten, but they are running out of options.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Saw on another board that the ACC is considering offering Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. Who knows if true. Not sure if the Huskies and Ducks would sign up for the GOR since they want to be in the Big Ten, but they are running out of options.
Say it ain't so! I was perfectly happy with the 1970 version of the ACC. Sigh.
Guess I'll go yell at some clouds.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Say it ain't so! I was perfectly happy with the 1970 version of the ACC. Sigh.
Guess I'll go yell at some clouds.
I have a feeling at some point these bloated conferences will blow up and realign again.

My guess is you’ll eventually get a football split with one national mega-conference with about 40 teams, and a bunch of schools either dropping down to FCS or dropping football altogether (because there just isn’t any more point sinking ever increasing piles of money into it), and then regional realignment around basketball.

I’m surprised schools like Cal, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern haven’t already said screw it with football.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In the case of Vanderbilt & Northwestern, I can think of 50-60 million reasons, and that’s before their new media deals begin.

What are they going to do with that money? Sink it into the money pit that is football.

If I had to guess, this entire calculus changes once the players are successful at forcing a revenue sharing agreement and ADs won’t be able to just pocket the media rights largesse. I’m sure it’s coming.