Open Scrimmage

By George.

Starter
I must say, I’m pretty shocked there’s no thread for the scrimmage and not much mention of it but judging from the attendance, many of you probably weren’t there. Did see Joe Shannon though, respect! Unfortunately, the hype is non-excitant...even among the GK staff.

We were there though and got some live footage, photos and interviews.

Here is a live video we took of the second period of the scrimmage - https://mobile.twitter.com/ByGeorgeGMU/status/1184621753219342337

My takeaways from the scrimmage are lower in the thread. Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I must say, I’m pretty shocked there’s no thread for the scrimmage and not much mention of it but judging from the attendance, many of you probably weren’t there. Did see Joe Shannon though, respect! Unfortunately, the hype is non-excitant...even among our staff.

Here is a live video we took of the second period of the scrimmage - https://mobile.twitter.com/ByGeorgeGMU/status/1184621753219342337
Any comment on how the team looked? Specifically Hartwell, AJ and the new guys?

Thanks for all the work you do to support this bleh program that somehow we are all still addicted to supporting financially or emotionally

G M U

Starter
75 people showed up to the scrimmage, Mason had the entire Green Machine there performing. Sad sad state we’re in

This is what complacency looks like

OP
By George.

By George.

Starter
My thoughts

- The freshmen looked like freshman with Josh looking to be the most ready to contribute. All 3 should see plenty of minutes. XJ looked comfortable with the ball but may not have even scored. Dady looks like a Kier replacement but not ready yet. Josh showed nice touch and actually took an elbow jumper which almost made me jump out my shoes.

Greene looks poised to be the man in Fairfax. He will have the ultimate green light and similarly to last year he hit his first few 3’s and was feeling it. Have to be excited for him to take the next step.

I don’t know what JDS is yet? A shooter that doesn’t hit 3’s but everyone knows the skillset is there. Can he get to the rack? Can he play defense? Is he ready for more minutes? I can’t say that we know yet. I know he has time to grow but this was a kid coming out of high school that I thought could be a pure scorer, just haven’t seen it yet.

Kier being hurt to start the season is an absolute nightmare and there’s no other way to see it. I was looking for who would fill his void and it looks like Miller will play the 3 more (which should cise everyone, but this doesn’t replace Kier running the offense.) I chatted with Miller last night and he’s pretty excited for the opportunity, he views himself more as a 3. Dady is an obvious Kier replacement but not sure he’s ready.

DPs starting lineup in the first period -
Hartwell
Greene
Miller
Wilson
Cali

Hartwell started the scrimmage hitting a 3 and I think he will limit our turnover issues. He doesn’t seem to be as careless as Otis with the ball and looks to get the ball up the floor super quick. DP screamed at his squad to get up the floor, this will be an emphasis all season and I’m here for it. I’m not sold on Hartwell, given his size, but he will be reliable and a scoring threat.

Miller looks like a complete player and I can’t wait to see him on the wing more. He was doing it all and told me DP wants him to push the ball his own after grabbing rebounds. Absolutely love this.

AJ continues to look like a monster in the offseason, will it translate? Will DP utilize him properly? Questions I can’t answer but if we can’t find a way to get him involved....I quit.

That’s my real quick analyses, ask questions if you have them. I expected to see some discussion about it but judging from the feel of the arena, I’m not surprised. At times, I found it depressing. So, yeah.

Last edited:
My thoughts

- The freshman looked like freshman with Josh looking to be the most ready to contribute. All 3 should see plenty of minutes. XJ looked comfortable with the ball but may not have even scored. Dady looks like a Kier replacement but not ready yet. Josh showed nice touch and actually took an elbow jumper which almost made me jump out my shoes.

Greene looks poised to be the man in Fairfax. He will have the ultimate green light and similarly to last year he hit his first few 3’s and was feeling it. Have to be excited for him to take the next step.

I don’t know what JDS is yet? A shooter that doesn’t hit 3’s but everyone knows the skillset is there. Can he get to the rack? Can he play defense? Is he ready for more minutes? I can’t say that we know yet. I know he has time to grow but this was a kid coming out of high school that I thought could be a pure scorer, just haven’t seen it yet.

Kier being hurt to start the season is an absolute nightmare and there’s no other way to see it. I was looking for who would fill his void and it looks like Miller will play the 3 more (which should cise everyone.) I chatted with him last night and he’s pretty excited for the opportunity, he views himself more as a 3. Dady is an obvious Kier replacement but not sure he’s ready.

DPs starting lineup in the first period -
Hartwell
Greene
Miller
Wilson
Cali

Hartwell started the scrimmage hitting a 3 and I think he will limit our turnover issues. He doesn’t seem to be as careless as Otis with the ball and looks to get the ball up the floor super quick. DP screamed at his squad to get up the floor, this will be an emphasis all season and I’m here for it. I’m not sold on Hartwell, given his size, but he will be reliable and a scoring threat.

Miller looks like a complete player and I can’t wait to see him on the wing more. He was doing it all and told me DP wants him to push the ball his own after grabbing rebounds. Absolutely love this.

AJ continues to look like a monster in the offseason, will it translate? Will DP utilize him properly? Questions I can’t answer but if we can’t find a way to get him involved....I quit.

That’s my real quick analyses, ask questions if you have them. I expected to see some discussion about it but judging from the feel of the arena, I’m not surprised. At times, I found it depressing. So, yeah.

Be great if Greene can shoot (no use having an undersized SG that can't start) and love the Miller part.

Wonder if they ran more because it was an exhibition scrimmage or they'll actually try to do that more.

Great job. You are a beacon of light in a dark time of apathy.

Mason32

Starter
It's going to be difficult to get excited for the beginning of the season with Kier out and DP already being quoted that they will be experimenting with different line-ups this season now that Otis is gone.

OP
By George.

By George.

Starter
Be great if Greene can shoot (no use having an undersized SG that can't start) and love the Miller part.

Wonder if they ran more because it was an exhibition scrimmage or they'll actually try to do that more.

Great job. You are a beacon of light in a dark time of apathy.

Sounds to me like pace of play will be an emphasis understanding they’re young and fast. I think Hartwell will improve our fast break potential and I think our big men will clean up the defensive glass much better as well. Cali > Reuter and I like Miller, AJ and Mar to clean up and push.

Herndon

All-Conference
I must say, I’m pretty shocked there’s no thread for the scrimmage and not much mention of it but judging from the attendance, many of you probably weren’t there. Did see Joe Shannon though, respect! Unfortunately, the hype is non-excitant...even among the GK staff.

My takeaways from the scrimmage are lower in the thread. Happy to answer any questions.
Great job, guys!

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
I was at the scrimmage and agree the current state of the program is bad. Having the scrimmage before midnight madness was strange. The scrimmage is usually announced at madness so that could have brought an additional 100 people. That would have brought the total to 175, which is sad.

I know it's early but from what I saw from the scrimmage, there is nothing to be excited about for the season. Kier will need to have a MM type of senior year for us to be some what competitive. I hope I'm proven wrong on this...

Herndon

All-Conference

Is Daddy #3?

Also, would you say that video is representative of the game as a whole?

If so, I think that you may be underselling Oduro a little bit. His ability to operate out of the high post (especially if he can knock down that elbow jumper you mentioned) could be a really interesting way to create driving lanes for our army of slashers.

Last edited:

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes Dady is #3. Physically the freshman look good. They all need to adapt to the speed of the game though. I'm not sure if any of them will have an impact this season.

XJ couldn't get a shot off and lost his dribble a few times. Dady had a few good drives but once Miller played D on him he was non existent. Oduro shows good skill and traits but he's like 2 steps too slow right now.

Something is up with Mar also, he passed up numerous 3pt shots. That was his bread and butter his freshman year. He def doesn't look the same as when he first got here.

Is Daddy #3?

Also, would you say that video is representative of the game as a whole?

If so, I think that you may be underselling Oduro a little bit. His ability to operate out of the high post (especially if he can knock down that elbow jumper you mentioned) could be a really interesting way to create driving lanes for our army of slashers.

Herndon

All-Conference
Yes Dady is #3. Physically the freshman look good. They all need to adapt to the speed of the game though. I'm not sure if any of them will have an impact this season.

XJ couldn't get a shot off and lost his dribble a few times. Dady had a few good drives but once Miller played D on him he was non existent. Oduro shows good skill and traits but he's like 2 steps too slow right now.

Something is up with Mar also, he passed up numerous 3pt shots. That was his bread and butter his freshman year. He def doesn't look the same as when he first got here.

I wasn't there, only saw the video, but it looks like skillwise Oduro is already there. Is this just a case of he needs to spend a year in the weightroom?

And yeah, Daddy on film looked like a guy who is going to be a nice player when he adds just a little bit of polish to his game.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah he needs speed drills and grip strength. He's pretty tall and lengthy, had a few blocks just by having his arms up.

Physically Calixte looks amazing. He brought out his new FT form last night. I can't wait for you guys to see this one lol. A lot will be on his shoulders this season.

Dady is a driver, just like what he showed in his highlights. He tried a few drives even when nothing was there and air balled. He does remind me of the players that teams like vcu get. Tall guards that can do multiple things so I'm excited about him. He guarded JDS and stayed in front of him.

I wasn't there, only saw the video, but it looks like skillwise Oduro is already there. Is this just a case of he needs to spend a year in the weightroom?

And yeah, Daddy on film looked like a guy who is going to be a nice player when he adds just a little bit of polish to his game.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Ugh, some of this feedback is so depressing. Sounds like it's going to be a very long season with very few reinforcements on the horizon.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
That is def the picture I'm trying to paint for everyone. Better to have no hopes and if proven wrong there will only be happiness. If we suck it was expected. That is the standpoint I'm convincing myself to be in for this season.

Ugh, some of this feedback is so depressing. Sounds like it's going to be a very long season with very few reinforcements on the horizon.

Herndon

All-Conference
You think? We already know we have an all conference caliber player in Kier when he returns, and if the guys are right that Hartwell is a reasonable replacement for Otis, and AJ can be a contributor, I don't see why we would be worse than last year.

You would expect to see other guys make the regular, incremental improvements guys make from year to year, no?