Open Scrimmage

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
Seems like the Mason Madness theme the past few years has been “Hey everybody, come watch AJ dunk”
Were you watching from Knoxville? It’s not meant to be Cirque du Soleil. The price was right and my children loved it.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Herndon, I promise I want to have a glass that isn't half-empty, but what if Kier doesn't come back 100%? What if Marr's sophomore slump wasn't an anomaly? What if Miller and Hartwell experience a sophomore slump? And what if Paulsen still can't find a way to make Wilson thrive in his system?

We have no great shooters or big men, and it sounds like our freshmen might be solid contributors one day but not in the next 365 days. Throw in the fact that the league is supposed to be markedly better, and it is very conceivable we could be worse than last year (at least in the standings).

My concerns as well. Could be a rebuilding year.

OP
By George.

By George.

Starter
just sucks that year 5 is a rebuilding year... our recruiting and class structure has been so piss poor and on court performance mostly underwhelming

What he said, although recruiting is getting better. Growing our brand locally and we’re attacking talent from Texas, Florida, Cali and New York etc. DP does needs to hit big soon.

Recruiting isn’t really my gripe. On court philosophy on both sides of the ball as well as dead ball situations have to improve ASAP but I know for a fact we hit the recruiting trails hard.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
My concerns as well. Could be a rebuilding year.

I think of it more of a "re-load" type year. Otis is gone, but there is still enough talent to really compete in the top 5 (at worst 7). The juniors and sophomores are of high quality and will continue to grow. I think the loss of Kier short term will hurt though, but hopefully the younger guys step up. Boyd being out hurts of course as well.

I do think that the recruiting has improved class over class, but they do need "the year" where they reach that top 3 and make the semis in the conference. Being in at-large conversation would always be nice too.

I don't have any expectations this year, especially after last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it broke better than expected, or if they were worse than they have been standings wise (no worse than 7th though or I'm very concerned).

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't have any expectations this year...

Matt, did you ever think you would be saying this in Year 5 of the Paulsen regime? He's had a full 4-year recruiting cycle to change the climate and the roster — both of which we desperately needed — but I feel like we keep moving the goalposts.

I'm not in the camp that thinks Dave's not the guy (see my unwavering avatar), but I do wish I felt a lot more comfortable about him being the guy.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Matt, did you ever think you would be saying this in Year 5 of the Paulsen regime? He's had a full 4-year recruiting cycle to change the climate and the roster — both of which we desperately needed — but I feel like we keep moving the goalposts.

I'm not in the camp that thinks Dave's not the guy (see my unwavering avatar), but I do wish I felt a lot more comfortable about him being the guy.

No I thought the program would be further along. However, based off the conversations I have had and understanding other things I get why things are the way they are too. I think the climate has changed, I think the culture has changed and recruits keep getting better. Believe it or not the program is now at least in the middle of the pack group, and we all wait for the next step (if it ever comes, and I don't really know). To me taking the next step is making the Semis in the A10 tournament, and/or being in At-large contention. I want to see Mason in the NCAAs as much as anyone else.

No clue if Dave is the guy either, but the point I always tell myself and others is that if Brad and or Dave want to do anything else besides Mason, both of them have to have success here. At the very least future teams have some new facilities to use/be recruited with. I guess we'll all soon find out what this year will bring...

Mason32

Starter

Last season was pretty telling for Paulsen. The roster in year 4 should have been a lot better put together, regardless of transfers, they happen to every program. He threw a hail mary on the Reuter transfer and it blew up in his face. He can recruit guards but has not had much success with wings and bigs. Take away Miller, which was probably sheer luck, and it's been piss poor recruiting in a lot of need areas.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
No clue if Dave is the guy either, but the point I always tell myself and others is that if Brad and or Dave want to do anything else besides Mason, both of them have to have success here. At the very least future teams have some new facilities to use/be recruited with. I guess we'll all soon find out what this year will bring...

Fair points all around. I appreciate the level-headed response. I infamously defended Hewitt for over three years, so Dave deserves at least 10 years from me for that alone. :cool:

Herndon

All-Conference
No I thought the program would be further along. However, based off the conversations I have had and understanding other things I get why things are the way they are too. I think the climate has changed, I think the culture has changed and recruits keep getting better. Believe it or not the program is now at least in the middle of the pack group, and we all wait for the next step (if it ever comes, and I don't really know). To me taking the next step is making the Semis in the A10 tournament, and/or being in At-large contention. I want to see Mason in the NCAAs as much as anyone else.

I think we still need to establish what "reasonable expectations" look like at Mason.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
just sucks that year 5 is a rebuilding year... our recruiting and class structure has been so piss poor and on court performance mostly underwhelming

It does but two key injuries doesn't help either.

I don't know if re-recruiting Jackson, Porter & Lockett was even possible but it sure would've helped us get back on our feet quicker.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think of it more of a "re-load" type year. Otis is gone, but there is still enough talent to really compete in the top 5 (at worst 7). The juniors and sophomores are of high quality and will continue to grow. I think the loss of Kier short term will hurt though, but hopefully the younger guys step up. Boyd being out hurts of course as well.

I do think that the recruiting has improved class over class, but they do need "the year" where they reach that top 3 and make the semis in the conference. Being in at-large conversation would always be nice too.

I don't have any expectations this year, especially after last year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it broke better than expected, or if they were worse than they have been standings wise (no worse than 7th though or I'm very concerned).

With a stronger conference this year, progress needs to be measured not just in our conference position, but also how we finish in the various rankings. We need to be pushing into top 100 if we're going to get anywhere.

Last year's rankings:

RPI: 150
Kenpom: 156
NET: 154

We're hovering just above that 50% percentile.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

last year screwed everybody up. Expectations were high and they were destroyed after the first game of the season, only to be slightly raised during the first part of the conference season to then be dashed pretty hard in the back half culminating in an embarrassing loss to vcu at home and a disappointing showing in the tournament.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
With a stronger conference this year, progress needs to be measured not just in our conference position, but also how we finish in the various rankings. We need to be pushing into top 100 if we're going to get anywhere.

Last year's rankings:

RPI: 150
Kenpom: 156
NET: 154

We're hovering just above that 50% percentile.

Agreed 100%, I think winning some games in the non-conference will definitely help with this (as the league will need to do as well.) I'd like to see them hit top 100 too, another reasonable goal.

I think we still need to establish what "reasonable expectations" look like at Mason.

Another good point. I think it was you or someone else who said until otherwise middle of the pack is a fair expectation because everything involved with the program is now average or above. To me reasonable expectations is being in the NCAAs every 3-5 years at absolute minimum. Obviously I want to see more, but I would have to see a lot pick up (donations to help facilities, recruiting proves on the court to be better etc) for that to be increased. Roughly once a recruiting class life cycle.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Am I the only one looking forward to this season? No expectations at all. Just excited because there will have to be a shift in the style we see on the court (with no Otis and when we haven’t planned an offense around a terrible Reuter).

I am excited to see what Kier and Greene do with the spotlight. Honestly, I was nervous headed into last year. I think this year we have nothing to lose in the out of conference. It’s all about preparing for the conference season and player development. Even our recruiting class is presumably finished. We should be able to just sit back, relax, and watch.