Open Practice!

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
19. It seems like the entire Paul VI squad was there, a great connection for the future.
20. Several other large and athletic kids were there although I can't name them.
21. Great seeing Jai Lewis, Folarin Campbell, John Vaughn, and Lamar Butler there at the practice. They spoke to the team at the end. It is clear KE wants to tie the past, present, and future together.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
How was attendance? Couldn’t go because of travel soccer games!
Not bad. I had to leave around 3 so there was another hour to go. Everyone was masked, per campus rules, and generally spaced out pretty well, except perhaps for the first few rows around center court. Certainly wouldn't call it crowded, but probably more people than the last time they did this.

Spotted Jai Lewis...doesn't look too different from what he did 15 yrs ago.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
19. It seems like the entire Paul VI squad was there, a great connection for the future.
20. Several other large and athletic kids were there although I can't name them.
21. Great seeing Jai Lewis, Folarin Campbell, John Vaughn, and Lamar Butler there at the practice. They spoke to the team at the end. It is clear KE wants to tie the past, present, and future together.
Thanks for these comments!

But, how come I'm not seeing #1 through #18?? Could they get re-posted please?
Thanks.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
My impressions of the practice. I could write a book but I'll try to give the Readers Digest version.
1. It was good to see an actual practice, not a glorified scrimmage put on for fans.
2. Lots of emphasis on fundamentals throughout!
3. The first hour and a half was a clinic of how to use time in practice wisely.
4. Groups rotated from focus to focus with each coach running/leading the drills.
5. I loved Coach Felton today. He clearly was the defensive guru in practice today. I can't comment on whether that will continue.
6. No one player stood out. If we are to have success it will clearly have to be a team effort.
7. The "Green" unit, which I assumed were the "Practice" day 1 starters were Gaines (1), Cooper (2), Frazier (3-4), Schwartz (3-4), and Oduro (5).
8. DO NOT read anything into this, it was day 1 of practice and KE may/may not have done that for a reason.
9. Polite was also on the green team although his minutes were limited, I am sure due to coming off surgery.
10. The player I thought showed the most improvement from last year was Malik Henry. He is very athletic and played well on both ends.
11. Hartwell clearly has the green light to shoot the 3 at will. Today he was on the Gold team, which I assumed to be the reserves. He did not hesitate to fire it up.
12. I will be tempering my expectations for the squad. YES, I KNOW today was day one and that a lot can happen between now and November 9.
13. Schwartz, Cooper, and Gaines have a chance to be real nice additions to the team. All have good size for their respective positions.
14. Gaines ran the point for the green team which gave us a very big first 5.
15. KE did not talk much at the end other than encourage fans to pack the house and be LOUD. I only wish Brillo and the other old farts had been there to understand the new expectations for fans.
16. Overall a good experience. Our guys are clearly going to be coached in a way they weren't under DP.
17. Good focus on inbounds plays (no lob over the top), ball movement, and player movement.
18. Differing levels of defensive intensity are being taught with an emphasis on fundamentals and positioning all around.
So much more to report........
Ahh...thanks! I just was looking back at the top of p.3

#17 ..... I noticed this as well. Several groups of 5 were taking turns working on this. Some ended with dunks by both Henry and Oduro. Josh looks much more athletic than in the past.

LOUDmouth

Four-star Recruit
Ahh...thanks! I just was looking back at the top of p.3

#17 ..... I noticed this as well. Several groups of 5 were taking turns working on this. Some ended with dunks by both Henry and Oduro. Josh looks much more athletic than in the past.
They need a strength coach that will work on individual needs more. Josh still walks and runs on the outside of his shoes. He’d gain 4-5” of vertical and be quicker if they’d just fix his hips/gait!

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Tempered expectations. Ok, I get it. But I still hope we are much improved.

illayin

Sixth Man

Spencer Dinwiddie was sitting courtside for the entire practice as well... I was hoping he'd play haha

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Kim English
@Englishscope24

·
Sep 18

Can’t thank these guys enough. Their messages were loud and clear.
John - Accountability amongst the group.
Lamar - Togetherness in EVERYTHING
Jai - Actions > Words
Folarin - Complete role buy in.

Grateful for these guys.

Quote Tweet

ISjGc-QM_normal.jpg

Mason Men's Basketball

@MasonMBB
· Sep 18
x

@Mistah_Vaughn
@Butler2two
@Yaya_CBS
@walkwithglory

#RockWithUs

Herndon

All-Conference
My impressions of the practice. I could write a book but I'll try to give the Readers Digest version.
1. It was good to see an actual practice, not a glorified scrimmage put on for fans.
2. Lots of emphasis on fundamentals throughout!
3. The first hour and a half was a clinic of how to use time in practice wisely.
4. Groups rotated from focus to focus with each coach running/leading the drills.
5. I loved Coach Felton today. He clearly was the defensive guru in practice today. I can't comment on whether that will continue.
6. No one player stood out. If we are to have success it will clearly have to be a team effort.
7. The "Green" unit, which I assumed were the "Practice" day 1 starters were Gaines (1), Cooper (2), Frazier (3-4), Schwartz (3-4), and Oduro (5).
8. DO NOT read anything into this, it was day 1 of practice and KE may/may not have done that for a reason.
9. Polite was also on the green team although his minutes were limited, I am sure due to coming off surgery.
10. The player I thought showed the most improvement from last year was Malik Henry. He is very athletic and played well on both ends.
11. Hartwell clearly has the green light to shoot the 3 at will. Today he was on the Gold team, which I assumed to be the reserves. He did not hesitate to fire it up.
12. I will be tempering my expectations for the squad. YES, I KNOW today was day one and that a lot can happen between now and November 9.
13. Schwartz, Cooper, and Gaines have a chance to be real nice additions to the team. All have good size for their respective positions.
14. Gaines ran the point for the green team which gave us a very big first 5.
15. KE did not talk much at the end other than encourage fans to pack the house and be LOUD. I only wish Brillo and the other old farts had been there to understand the new expectations for fans.
16. Overall a good experience. Our guys are clearly going to be coached in a way they weren't under DP.
17. Good focus on inbounds plays (no lob over the top), ball movement, and player movement.
18. Differing levels of defensive intensity are being taught with an emphasis on fundamentals and positioning all around.
So much more to report........

How do we want to defend, what does the offense look like? X's and O's, from what you could see?

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How do we want to defend, what does the offense look like? X's and O's, from what you could see?
Defense had several levels from solid (regular) to having pressure. The defense will fit the situation depending on whether we are up or down. GOOD fundamentals being taught through shell drill and half line principles. Offensively I saw creativity on inbounds plays . Ball movement and player movement were emphasized offensively in practice although it kind of fell apart in game situations. Too much dribble. Still, day 1, so lots of time to improve. Screen and roll, looking to go back door, etc...... I would love to be able to hang out and watch another practice to get a better feel for strategy which I am sure will also change depending on the opponent. Wish I could say more, much too early.

LOUDmouth

Four-star Recruit
Defense had several levels from solid (regular) to having pressure. The defense will fit the situation depending on whether we are up or down. GOOD fundamentals being taught through shell drill and half line principles. Offensively I saw creativity on inbounds plays . Ball movement and player movement were emphasized offensively in practice although it kind of fell apart in game situations. Too much dribble. Still, day 1, so lots of time to improve. Screen and roll, looking to go back door, etc...... I would love to be able to hang out and watch another practice to get a better feel for strategy which I am sure will also change depending on the opponent. Wish I could say more, much too early.

Attachments

• 6B1B35C1-B4DD-492F-BBA8-1E6DBBA5009D.jpeg
    6B1B35C1-B4DD-492F-BBA8-1E6DBBA5009D.jpeg
    769.9 KB · Views: 319

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I didn't see/hear as much of it in this practice but in a previous practice the focus on defense was keeping the ball out of the middle, and always push them to the outside. Now If this holds up, and we get decent at it, it would seem to me the opposing teams will be forced to beat us from 3. Now, don't take this as them leaving the 3 wide open, they seem to always be pressuring the ball handler and preventing the move to the middle with the defense rotating to provide help.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I didn't see/hear as much of it in this practice but in a previous practice the focus on defense was keeping the ball out of the middle, and always push them to the outside. Now If this holds up, and we get decent at it, it would seem to me the opposing teams will be forced to beat us from 3. Now, don't take this as them leaving the 3 wide open, they seem to always be pressuring the ball handler and preventing the move to the middle with the defense rotating to provide help.
KE took that from Tom Thibodeau, he emphasizes preventing middle drives and forcing everything to the baseline. It will be nice if we finally have some guys capable of executing that kind of defense because we were terrible containing penetration under DP.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
KE took that from Tom Thibodeau, he emphasizes preventing middle drives and forcing everything to the baseline. It will be nice if we finally have some guys capable of executing that kind of defense because we were terrible containing penetration under DP.

We weren't terrible at it...we contained it in the lane/under the hoop pretty well

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We weren't terrible at it...we contained it in the lane/under the hoop pretty well
This is hilarious. If it wasn't so true and hadn't been so painful, it would be even funnier. I could see in the pre-CKE era, this would have been used as marketing material:

"Come watch your Patriots as they show their masterful ability to contain their opponents drives to the lane and under the hoop. Additionally, they frequently allow random members of the guest team to sink a record number of three point shots."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is hilarious. If it wasn't so true and hadn't been so painful, it would be even funnier. I could see in the pre-CKE era, this would have been used as marketing material:
"Come watch your Patriots as they show their masterful ability to contain their opponents drives to the lane and under the hoop. Additionally, they frequently allow random members of the guest team to sink a record number of three point shots."

Watch records get broken at EBA! (We won’t tell you whose records, but we guarantee someone will break one).