NIL Thread

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
my problem with all of these "estimates" is that they are not based on knowledge of hard contracts.
They are based on On3's proprietary algorithm. Noone really knows the exact numbers except the player themselves and the IRS.

" With that in mind, and with college sports dominating headlines during the 2024 NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments, here are the college athletes who make the most money from NIL deals according to On3's proprietary NIL algorithm, which is based on NIL-deal data, performance, influence and exposure. "

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Can we learn a lesson here?

===
Is this unheard of in men's CBB?

Plenty of male coaches could take a lesson from Staley’s management of NIL. She doesn’t sit around bemoaning the loss of purity in the game, while enjoying her $3.2 million salary. She makes a point of entwining her own opportunities with offers for the team, so her players don’t have to stare hungrily at a coach’s wealth, earned “off their backs,” as Staley says. Example: When Staley got an offer from a medical company named Rewind, she asked the company to do a deal for every one of her players. “Honestly, I make a lot of money,” Staley told The Washington Post earlier this season. “I want our players to make a lot of money … I am an active participant in wanting them to benefit in this space.”

Rewind not only gave each of South Carolina’s players some NIL money, but also stock options. Staley wanted them to learn what it meant to have “equity.” The agreement avoided jealousies over NIL opportunities because each player got a cut, and it strengthened Staley’s hand as a recruiter: She’s the coach who will try to steer deals your way, and maybe even get you a portfolio too.

KAOriginal

All-American
Love it.....lifetime appetizers at Oh George, free oil changes at McKay Chevrolet, free knee scopes at Sentara from Ortho Virginia, and free checking at Eagle Bank...

Oh the possibilities we have!

KAOriginal

All-American
It will be interesting when someone takes up the Title IX argument to court about NIL.

Women's crew is gonna want the same money football and basketball players get. And arguing Title IX is only about scholarships will not fly.

But a smart school would build in tuition in their NIL deals, so that they can cut football and basketball scholarships thereby eliminating the need for ancillary women's programs to show Title IX balance.

Fun times.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It will be interesting when someone takes up the Title IX argument to court about NIL.

Women's crew is gonna want the same money football and basketball players get. And arguing Title IX is only about scholarships will not fly.

But a smart school would build in tuition in their NIL deals, so that they can cut football and basketball scholarships thereby eliminating the need for ancillary women's programs to show Title IX balance.

Fun times.

From what I understand, in aggregate women are doing better NIL wise than the men (this of course takes into consideration all sports, not just football and basketball).

While collectives might focus mostly on the men’s side, from a social media influence perspective we all know which side the bread is buttered.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Fun times.

All I can say is that there's a lesson to be learned: If you don't take care of your own business, and government steps in to handle it for you, then you might just not like the outcome. Sorry, NCAA, ya blew your chance.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Theoretically, could a school could bring in a stud player as a walk on knowing he would get a good enough NIL deal to pay his tuition /room & board and then some?

This would effectively skirt the 13 scholarship limit per team?

KAOriginal

All-American
Theoretically, could a school could bring in a stud player as a walk on knowing he would get a good enough NIL deal to pay his tuition /room & board and then some?

Again another interesting angle.

If they all become employees.....and there's no underlying scholarship, then I assume all bets are off on the structure of having women's teams etc. A school doesn't have to comply with Title IX and can argue as employees, like any other segment of the institution, they can have and/or cut programs etc as they see fit based on costs, etc.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

You could do that, but the 13-scholarship limit is basically irrelevant these days — many schools are having a hard time filling them all because the last 3 spots on a typical team only get garbage-time minutes, player development is quickly becoming an antiquated notion and kids are not willing to sit when they can play right away somewhere else.

I think you’ll start to see more mid- and low-majors purposely leave 2-3 spots open because they can allocate their scarce NIL dollars to fewer bodies. Makes more sense to be able to pay your top talent more than paying full shares to guys at the end of the bench.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You could do that, but the 13-scholarship limit is basically irrelevant these days — many schools are having a hard time filling them all because the last 3 spots on a typical team only get garbage-time minutes, player development is quickly becoming an antiquated notion and kids are not willing to sit when they can play right away somewhere else.

I think you’ll start to see more mid- and low-majors purposely leave 2-3 spots open because they can allocate their scarce NIL dollars to fewer bodies. Makes more sense to be able to pay your top talent more than paying full shares to guys at the end of the bench.
I can see that point - but at the same rate you have nothing to lose by leaving spots open. Better off taking a kid or two to help fill out the roster who might develop or be a depth piece / practice piece than leaving it empty.

I feel like we've discussed this topic regarding Mason's roster before ;)

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

some major programs - but weak academically - give those last 2-3 slots to "players" who are expected to maintain very high GPAs to bring the team average up

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
some major programs - but weak academically - give those last 2-3 slots to "players" who are expected to maintain very high GPAs to bring the team average up
This guy has offers from Florida, Kentucky and Alabama

Attachments

• IMG_2272.jpeg
    IMG_2272.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 21

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
some coaches have academic performance clauses, incentives and goals as part of their contracts.
Not for long. With unfettered free agency, any coach who ties even a small part of his compensation to his team’s academic progress is a coach who should fire his agent for malpractice.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not for long. With unfettered free agency, any coach who ties even a small part of his compensation to his team’s academic progress is a coach who should fire his agent for malpractice.
I expect them to still exist at places like the Ivy League, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc., etc.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I do wonder what’s going to happen to APR. they’re also going to have to do something about eligibility and transfers at some point because a kid can’t graduate unless he has at least 60 credit hours at his last school, so he’s either going to have to finish his degree sans scholarship or take a redshirt at some point.