NIL Thread

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't know how many people have looked at Jack Gohlke's twitter since his 3 point performance against Kentucky, but it's a good example where NIL can be awesome.

Partnerships with Barstool for merch, a quick TurboTax video, etc.

He is carpe'ing the f*ck out of that diem.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"3. What is the situation with the Dayton NIL collective?

It was reported this season that Dayton’s roster has a $1 million compensation total among the roster, with DaRon Holmes understandably getting the most at a range of $500,000 to $650,000, but that does leave other players with a good chunk of change as well. Being the only big name team in the city of Dayton has its dividends too, with many players getting advertisement and endorsement deals from car dealerships, restaurants, and other businesses. There is no real competition from the Dayton Dragons (the Cincinnati Reds single-A baseball team) or even from Wright State basketball. Dayton is the only hot ticket in town, and players have really taken advantage of gaining compensation from businesses in Dayton and the surrounding area.​

While other programs can offer big money, Dayton can as well. Dayton operates as a bigger program than most outsiders would think, being a team in the Atlantic 10. The NIL collective is getting stronger, especially with the team being in the AP Top 25 for the majority of the season and earning an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament, and even more-so now with the win in the first round over Nevada. When the team performs well, the wallets open up. Don’t be shocked if the Dayton collective can match an offer from some of these Power 6 schools.​

With the landscape of NIL in college athletics changing all the time, the rules for how programs and collectives can operate together have changed. Programs can now talk directly with players on potential compensation amounts. This was not the case before. Players are starting to have 'NIL agents' and are pinning programs against each other. This will be the first offseason where we will see the effects of this new rule. It will be interesting to see how Dayton is affected."​

KAOriginal

All-American

"3. What is the situation with the Dayton NIL collective?

It was reported this season that Dayton’s roster has a $1 million compensation total among the roster, with DaRon Holmes understandably getting the most at a range of $500,000 to $650,000, but that does leave other players with a good chunk of change as well. Being the only big name team in the city of Dayton has its dividends too, with many players getting advertisement and endorsement deals from car dealerships, restaurants, and other businesses. There is no real competition from the Dayton Dragons (the Cincinnati Reds single-A baseball team) or even from Wright State basketball. Dayton is the only hot ticket in town, and players have really taken advantage of gaining compensation from businesses in Dayton and the surrounding area.​

While other programs can offer big money, Dayton can as well. Dayton operates as a bigger program than most outsiders would think, being a team in the Atlantic 10. The NIL collective is getting stronger, especially with the team being in the AP Top 25 for the majority of the season and earning an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament, and even more-so now with the win in the first round over Nevada. When the team performs well, the wallets open up. Don’t be shocked if the Dayton collective can match an offer from some of these Power 6 schools.​

With the landscape of NIL in college athletics changing all the time, the rules for how programs and collectives can operate together have changed. Programs can now talk directly with players on potential compensation amounts. This was not the case before. Players are starting to have 'NIL agents' and are pinning programs against each other. This will be the first offseason where we will see the effects of this new rule. It will be interesting to see how Dayton is affected."​

Half a million? Just wow.

While not opposed to kids making money on themselves, this just leans me to--it's free agency like a professional. Which means they should lose all preferences and services--scholarships, academic advising, etc and just be hired guns.

We have thrown "student athlete" out the door.

It's also now why besides the money, good coaches will run as fast they can to the next job up so that they can compete on a level playing field vs just grind it out at low and mid.majors.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

While not opposed to kids making money on themselves, this just leans me to--it's free agency like a professional. Which means they should lose all preferences and services--scholarships, academic advising, etc and just be hired guns.

It's also now why besides the money, good coaches will run as fast they can to the next job up so that they can compete on a level playing field vs just grind it out at low and mid.majors.
Players still have to go to class and make grades.

I'm not entirely sure this is so much different than where we were 5 years ago where it was an arm's race to have the practice facilities, locker rooms, lazy rivers, etc. - now maybe those things (which are crazy expensive) will be less important/not pursued and instead the money goes to the players in potentially life changing amounts.

With the trend from the courts being to lift all restraints, the schools can be more directly involved and (if they aren't Mason) can clearly communicate - we need X for facilities, we need X for our collective, we need X for other sports items...

The bigger the pool of $, the more attractive schools can be to recruits, just as before and with the Coach still playing a huge factor in building those relationships.

Bricker

Starter
I think we're going to learn very quickly how important it is to get recruits with good heads on their shoulders in this new era of NIL.

I can't imagine what my grades/attitude toward studying would have been back in college if I was handed DaRon Holmes money. I have a feeling more than a few stories are going to come out across the country about promising athletes who take the money, get complacent and end up leaving school.

I can't play basketball, but I imagine the little voice in my head following a particularly hard practice could plant some seriously negative ideas if I was flush with cash.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I think we're going to learn very quickly how important it is to get recruits with good heads on their shoulders in this new era of NIL.

I can't imagine what my grades/attitude toward studying would have been back in college if I was handed DaRon Holmes money. I have a feeling more than a few stories are going to come out across the country about promising athletes who take the money, get complacent and end up leaving school.

I can't play basketball, but I imagine the little voice in my head following a particularly hard practice could plant some seriously negative ideas if I was flush with cash.
I'd presume that the NIL contract would require you to be a student and that the $$ would end as soon as you left the team/school.

KAOriginal

All-American
Well...it seems the NCAA has been losing left and right. Money, add in players unionizing, etc...it won't be long till "grades" are considered hindrances by the courts, programs will allow no show on line classes, and if a kid transfer every year with a no sit rule and no transfer limits, it won't be long till the pressure, lawsuits, etc will make NCAA oversight of grades, graduation rates etc all irrelevant.

Now the Dukes, Kentucky's won't have to worry about walk ons padding the grades. It's going to be the wild west...lol

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I know this will never happen but I would like to see any NIL money be paid after a student graduates. 99.9% aren't going to play in the NBA and their NIL money will be gone within a matter of a few years. On top of that most won't have an education to fall back on. There are far more broken dream stories than success stories.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Holmes could’ve gotten more than $500k — at least twice that — from a P5. He wanted to stay at Dayton but they had to get in the ballpark to make it worth his while.

The reality is, this is what we’re up against even within our own league. Regardless of how any of us feel personally about this new paradigm, it’s gonna take all hands on deck for Tony and the staff to put together a competitive roster.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we want to be competitive, we have to have a strong NIL collective. Bottom line. It might suck for fans of certain programs, but that's just the way it goes. If Mason can’t handle the new reality well then we do not deserve a competitive team or any team period.

Players deserve to get paid what they can get. One owns their own name and likeness and if one is blessed with an opportunity to benefit from that financially, then they should. It's the American way and it's the right thing to do.

When Jennfer Capriati was barely 14 years old, the teen tennis star back in the 90's made over 30 million dollars in endorsements and that was THIRTY years ago. No one ever has an issue with her maximizing her earning potential which she still probably lives off of today.

The mason NIL collective is a big part of the solution. Just GIVE to collective or simply become a fan another program.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we want to be competitive, we have to have a strong NIL collective. Bottom line. It might suck for fans of certain programs, but that's just the way it goes. If Mason can’t handle the new reality well then we do not deserve a competitive team or any team period.

Players deserve to get paid what they can get. One owns their own name and likeness and if one is blessed with an opportunity to benefit from that financially, then they should. It's the American way and it's the right thing to do.

When Jennfer Capriati was barely 14 years old, the teen tennis star back in the 90's made over 30 million dollars in endorsements and that was THIRTY years ago. No one ever has an issue with her maximizing her earning potential which she still probably lives off of today.

The mason NIL collective is a big part of the solution. Just GIVE to collective or simply become a fan another program.

Counterpoint: Capriati didn’t pass a hat around the U.S. Open and said “I know you paid a ticket to watch me play, but if you want me to actually play for you you have to also donate extra.”

Difference between signing a deal with a company to sponsor a shoe and another to shake down fans for even more money.

It kind of reminds me of the proliferation of the tip option at checkout. We are being asked to tip everyone now—apparently even college players.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Counterpoint: Capriati didn’t pass a hat around the U.S. Open and said “I know you paid a ticket to watch me play, but if you want me to actually play for you you have to also donate extra.”

Difference between signing a deal with a company to sponsor a shoe and another to shake down fans for even more money.

It kind of reminds me of the proliferation of the tip option at checkout. We are being asked to tip everyone now—apparently even college players.
If we all could give to the collective, the cost of one US Open ticket, problem solved.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Interesting take and I see your point, but, there is a slight inaccuracy in your analogy. The players are not "shaking down" the fans. They don't care where the money comes from. Because of the NCAA limitations on how schools can participate in NIL, It is up to the fans of a program to make NIL arrangements if the businesses don't just swarm the players directly. The collectives have become, to some degree, the defacto negotiators with the players.

Related to that, our collective is looking for any business ideas on ways to generate revenue for the collective/NIL deals for the players. This is the way many of us see this as being more sustainable for the long run. If anyone has any ideas, fell free to post them or send them to me directly and I'll bring them up with the NIL board.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
this is an arms race, and their is no guarantee that if Mason raises say $3M for NIL that that will automatically translate to wins - as every other program is doing the same.

The only guarantees is that
1) some smart players will pit teams against each other in a "bid for services", and some of those players will get "overpaid".
2) If you don't have a competitive NIL program you will lose games, as this is now the "cost of doing business."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
this is an arms race, and their is no guarantee that if Mason raises say $3M for NIL that that will automatically translate to wins - as every other program is doing the same.

1) some smart players will pit teams against each other in a "bid for services", and some of those players will get "overpaid".
2) If you don't have a competitive NIL program you will lose games, as this is now the "cost of doing business."
Right, no guarantee of success. Villanova spent $2M on NIL this year and didn’t make the tournament.

But if you don’t at least do what you can for your level, you are guaranteed to fail.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

And if you don't want to have a competitive NIL program as a fanbase or university, you might as well drop down to a low major where that isn't an issue. You'll just be the minor leagues for the high majors like all the mid and low majors.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'll donate to the collective once Brian shows receipts proving that he isn't dipping into the funds to support his popcorn addiction.
Now I know why Brian always asks for the hot and sticky butter. He's then whisked away to a VIP room where "what happens in Dayton, stays in Dayton" comes to mind.

KAOriginal

All-American
Of course not. She went PRO at aged 13 and played on the professional touring circuit not for Florida State claiming to be a student athlete with free tuition and room and board to boot.

I get NIL is the now and future and we have to adapt and not arguing it shouldn't happen. Its just a rapid earthquake to the paradigm that is so mind boggling. When I was in campus I was told by the players down the hall I couldn't spring for pizza for them. Now....we will have Mason NIL offering condos at National Harbor and chauffered Teslas to campus.