Mason beats vcu!

OP
P

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Although I'm pleased (but not surprised) with the outcome, I wish the segment featuring the Green Machine had shown them in a better venue (say, during a game like most of the other 4 bands) rather than what seemed like a sparsely attended occasion that almost seemed like a rehearsal setting.

Nit-picking, I know. Don't mean to overlook the "splash" that Doc Nix continues to make!

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I have always been concerned that another school might try to hire Doc Nix away. I know he is from Fairfax, but Michigan is his alma mater. Clearly a very talented man who continues to represent the university well.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have always been concerned that another school might try to hire Doc Nix away. I know he is from Fairfax, but Michigan is his alma mater. Clearly a very talented man who continues to represent the university well.
Now that Doc Nix is a tenured professor in the School of Music, I would think that risk has been reduced.

OP
P

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Now that Doc Nix is a tenured professor in the School of Music, I would think that risk has been reduced.

I certainly hope that's the case. If I'm not mistaken, his mother comes to most of the games and sits adjacent to the band. So his local roots are deep.

Still, if the team ever gets good enough to get more national tv coverage, with the amount of on-camera time that he already gets, some administrator at another school may get some ideas. Fortunately for us, Power conference schools have football teams which means they already have large marching bands with directors to draw from for basketball games.

On the other hand, I suspect his salary is modest, especially in terms of the value he brings to Mason.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Great job Doc Nix. Not sure what referance to the arts school of richmond has to do with anything, but we are lucky to have something to be proud of during the basketball games etc.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I certainly hope that's the case. If I'm not mistaken, his mother comes to most of the games and sits adjacent to the band. So his local roots are deep.

Still, if the team ever gets good enough to get more national tv coverage, with the amount of on-camera time that he already gets, some administrator at another school may get some ideas. Fortunately for us, Power conference schools have football teams which means they already have large marching bands with directors to draw from for basketball games.

On the other hand, I suspect his salary is modest, especially in terms of the value he brings to Mason.

Not sure when he received tenure, but the last available salary I could find for him was in 2011 and he made $71,000 and change that year. I suspect he's closer to 100k now.

OP
P

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Not sure when he received tenure, but the last available salary I could find for him was in 2011 and he made $71,000 and change that year. I suspect he's closer to 100k now.

I think 100k is very unlikely. It's only been a year or two since he got tenure-and the last number I saw was 82,600. Faculty raises have been pretty much non-existent the last few years except for those getting promoted. A 10k boost actually is pretty good for promotion from assistant to associate professor.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think 100k is very unlikely. It's only been a year or two since he got tenure-and the last number I saw was 82,600. Faculty raises have been pretty much non-existent the last few years except for those getting promoted. A 10k boost actually is pretty good for promotion from assistant to associate professor.

That would put him right in line with the average.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'd take 82 grand right now and wouldn't complain a bit. Of course, I don't have to try and find a home in northern Va., either.

So there's that.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...vcu's-peppas-named-top-two-college-pep-bands/

I took a shot at George Mason’s basketball team in the introduction to Monday’s Atlantic 11 poll, joking that the mediocre Patriots had been voted the near-unanimous No. 1 over a host of much more deserving candidates. This rubbed some Mason fans the wrong way, to which I say: lighten up. The poll is all in good fun and it will feature pithy comments about every school that’s fortunate enough to crack the top 11. If you’d like to be a voter and defend George Mason against all wisecracks, e-mail me.

While George Mason is not nearly the best team in the Atlantic 11, the Fairfax school does boast the best pep band in the country, at leastaccording to NCAA.com. This is not a joke. From the countdown video of the nation’s top five pep bands:

Brass and rhythm sections just aren’t enough for band director Doc Nix, who’s been known to add singers, rappers, DJs and electric violins to the group. With a musical collection that ranges from Rage Against the Machine to Michael Jackson, it’s no wonder the Green Machine is a thriller.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...vcu's-peppas-named-top-two-college-pep-bands/

I took a shot at George Mason’s basketball team in the introduction to Monday’s Atlantic 11 poll, joking that the mediocre Patriots had been voted the near-unanimous No. 1 over a host of much more deserving candidates. This rubbed some Mason fans the wrong way, to which I say: lighten up. The poll is all in good fun and it will feature pithy comments about every school that’s fortunate enough to crack the top 11. If you’d like to be a voter and defend George Mason against all wisecracks, e-mail me.

While George Mason is not nearly the best team in the Atlantic 11, the Fairfax school does boast the best pep band in the country, at leastaccording to NCAA.com. This is not a joke. From the countdown video of the nation’s top five pep bands:

Brass and rhythm sections just aren’t enough for band director Doc Nix, who’s been known to add singers, rappers, DJs and electric violins to the group. With a musical collection that ranges from Rage Against the Machine to Michael Jackson, it’s no wonder the Green Machine is a thriller.

Keep up the good work, Scott

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He implied that we were the #1 joke in the region. His response to me on Twitter implies that he didn't intend to say that, but that's how I read his column, so I was a little heated too. :D Overall, I really like the Atlantic 11 and am glad it's back.

wijg

Starter
To those of you that were upset about the dig regarding Mason on the Atlantic 11, first, he wasn't too far off from the truth. Also, I believe you guys are on the Fire Paul Hewitt bandwagon. I would think any bad publicity, even if it is unsettling in the short run, would help to reinforce the issue with the powers that be. So, in a way, it could be a good thing, better than not being mentioned at all.

wijg

Starter
Related to this thread, did any of you watch the vcu-Davidson game last night? One of the commentators mentioned this about the Mason Pep-Band beating vcu's. I believe it was Feinstein. He went on to say that he prefers the vcu band...

Last edited:

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
He implied that we were the #1 joke in the region. His response to me on Twitter implies that he didn't intend to say that, but that's how I read his column, so I was a little heated too. :D Overall, I really like the Atlantic 11 and am glad it's back.

I think the joke would have been better had he used one of the truly terrible teams in the region for more facetiousness, but overall I think it was pretty funny considering we won the last Atlantic 11 poll back in 2011. Also we are a notable name that everyone knows about. Would you really he rather put JMU or Coppin State?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Related to this thread, did any of you watch the vcu-Davidson game last night? One of the commentators mentioned this about the Mason Pep-Band beating vcu's. I believe it was Feinstein. He went on to say that he prefers the vcu band...

Guess I'm gonna have to shoot that a**-kisser Feinstein a sternly worded e-mail as well.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Someone on the vcu boards clearly hasn't been to the Patriot Center (via vcuramnation.com):

I have never seen a band that interacts with the crowd so much as the Peppas. Anyone notice Ryan climbing the stairs in the stands and high fiving the crowd? No doubt much of the spirit of the fans and the atmosphere at the Stu is attributable to the band. It is if the band is an extension of the crowd and vice versa. The Peppas are not a showband, even if some of their numbers approach the sublime. They know their role and perform it perfectly. That's why they are the number one pep band in the country.