Mason announces construction of World Class Football Stadium

Herndon

All-Conference
I have really come around on the "no football at mason" thing.

While I would obviously love to have a local football team to support, the fact that the school continues to provide half-assed support to the basketball program gives me very little confidence that they would provide the resources to have a decent football team (which requires a much bigger commitment).

A mason football program would be a perennial laughingstock with the current set of people/priorities in place.

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

While I would obviously love to have a local football team to support, the fact that the school continues to provide half-assed support to the basketball program gives me very little confidence that they would provide the resources to have a decent football team (which requires a much bigger commitment).

A mason football program would be a perennial laughingstock with the current set of people/priorities in place.
I have the exact same thoughts.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Combine that with the likelihood it would divert money from Basketball, and we would have no hope for either team, I came around to that view a while ago.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Combine that with the likelihood it would divert money from Basketball, and we would have no hope for either team, I came around to that view a while ago.

I suppose it would depend on the appetite in the community to support football, wouldn't it? They won't support basketball (even when they were good), but is there a college football contingency out there in NOVA that isn't Tech or UVA?

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
True. But what’s the harm if the basketball team is going to stink regardless.

patriotchild

Starter
I like college basketball way more than college football so this never was an issue for me. Much prefer to see resources go to basketball.

Ideally we would turn into a dynamic basketball school and then maybe establish a football program that can grow over time.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
A decent 1-AA team could do well. We’re obviously biased on these boards, but football is going to draw a way more casual fan/student because of weather/tailgating/atmosphere. If both teams were just “meh”, football would draw the bigger crowd.

All irrelevant though, because the startup cost would be enormous, we don’t really have the land/infrastructure to support a stadium, and we can’t even complete a b-ball practice facility or locker room renovation without tripping over our own dick.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm of the opinion that unless you are the top tier of college football - P5 (and even some within that are not what I would want to be, i.e. Wake, Duke, Rutgers, etc.) you're irrelevant, so no need to waste money on it. To be honest, although not connected to athletics, I think you'd get more out of creating a med school and I'd be more in favor of that.

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I have no idea if mason can/cant pull it off. But football could subsidize other sports teams.

Not sure which came first, but UCF is seeing both their football and basketball teams perform better recently.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
A decent 1-AA team could do well. We’re obviously biased on these boards, but football is going to draw a way more casual fan/student because of weather/tailgating/atmosphere. If both teams were just “meh”, football would draw the bigger crowd.

All irrelevant though, because the startup cost would be enormous, we don’t really have the land/infrastructure to support a stadium, and we can’t even complete a b-ball practice facility or locker room renovation without tripping over our own dick.

When I contributed to both projects I was clearly told that the funds had to be privately raised. I'm guessing approximately $3 mil for both is close. Not bad in my opinion. What's not to your liking and what were you told when you made your gift? I thought they were very up front with me.

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
VMDO provided pre-planning study and conceptual design services for a new Soccer Stadium at George Mason University that also analyzed possible relocation of existing Track & Field facilities.

This is really old. But the pictures of proposed plans for the athletic fields look pretty good. https://www.vmdo.com/patriot-park-stadium-design.html

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
VMDO provided pre-planning study and conceptual design services for a new Soccer Stadium at George Mason University that also analyzed possible relocation of existing Track & Field facilities.

This is really old. But the pictures of proposed plans for the athletic fields look pretty good. https://www.vmdo.com/patriot-park-stadium-design.html

It’s too bad we couldn’t close the deal with DC United on their USL/training facilities.

I also agree that the track needs to be moved so you aren’t sitting 50 yards from the field.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
It’s too bad we couldn’t close the deal with DC United on their USL/training facilities.

I also agree that the track needs to be moved so you aren’t sitting 50 yards from the field.

I've worked with a lot of schools and have no idea how you close a deal with any pro sport franchise and remain compliant with NCAA legislation. Something is off with the story.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I've worked with a lot of schools and have no idea how you close a deal with any pro sport franchise and remain compliant with NCAA legislation. Something is off with the story.

I would assume the university would have to own the facility and the pro team would be tenants? Think State College Spikes or Houston Dynamo. I know ASU (sorry sleeper) were in negotiations with the Coyotes to go in on a hockey arena but that deal fell apart. https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ut-plan-bring-arizona-coyotes-tempe/97460974/

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would assume the university would have to own the facility and the pro team would be tenants?
That is how I understood it would work. I'll re-hash an old topic of mine. Back in the late 90s, a summer league baseball team wanted to partner with the school to upgrade the baseball facitilies. Thus, it would be home to the college summer league team that was playing in Arlington at the time. The old administration couldnt come to an agreement.

I don't know if DC United's USL team was ever really seriously considering Mason. I don't know if Monumental ever discussed upgrading EBA for the Go-Go instead of building the new arena in SE DC. Doubt the Potomac Nationals ever considered partnering with the school to build a new stadium and instead went to Fredericksburg.

I do know the reason our softball team has such a nice facility is that the now-defunct pro softball team had partnered with the school. They were going to play at Mason. Construction began and then the team never materialized/folded/went elsewhere (I don't remember). The school was left footing the bill which is why there is a grass slope between the grandstand and dugouts, not more seats; the school didnt have the money to complete the project. For the level our softball team plays, I think its a very nice facility.

The RAC got done because that building is a multi-use facility and not specific to intercollegiate athletics. Also, the RAC houses both volleyball teams and wrestling.

All this to say, without some type of partnership, I dont see the school ever moving forward on new facilities for basketball, baseball, soccer/lacrosse and track & field. They got burned with the softball deal so we'll just be :bricks: for the foreseeable future. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Last edited:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Two examples off the top of my head:

University of Minnesota’s TCF Bank Stadium was also home to the MLS soccer team there and the Vikings played the entire 20-14-2015 season there as well.

Stanford has hosted the 49ers home games several times in the last decade and in 1989 the Super Bowl was even held there. *Although that was a crazy year for the bay area with the historic earthquake.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I'm of the opinion that unless you are the top tier of college football - P5 (and even some within that are not what I would want to be, i.e. Wake, Duke, Rutgers, etc.) you're irrelevant, so no need to waste money on it. To be honest, although not connected to athletics, I think you'd get more out of creating a med school and I'd be more in favor of that.

I did hear something about the BOV considering a proposal for a medical school. I thought the go/no go decision would be made in the near future.