Mason announces construction of World Class Football Stadium

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
Two examples off the top of my head:

University of Minnesota’s TCF Bank Stadium was also home to the MLS soccer team there and the Vikings played the entire 20-14-2015 season there as well.

Stanford has hosted the 49ers home games several times in the last decade and in 1989 the Super Bowl was even held there. *Although that was a crazy year for the bay area with the historic earthquake.

You can play contests anywhere, it is virtually impossible to headquarter a pro franchise and share training facilities under NCAA legislation. Why would you want to any way with your real estate values and campus expansion potential. Makes no sense to me.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You can play contests anywhere, it is virtually impossible to headquarter a pro franchise and share training facilities under NCAA legislation. Why would you want to any way with your real estate values and campus expansion potential. Makes no sense to me.

Several MLS teams’ main stadiums are NCAA member institutions and it seemed to contradict your statement from a layman’s point of view (mine)

However the context of those agreements I am ignorant on as I have zero knowledge of NCAA rules and maybe (actually probably) I’m comparing apples to oranges.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Why would Mason have architects draw up plans for upgrading of soccer, baseball, and track facilities and not implement a plan at some point?

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
Several MLS teams’ main stadiums are NCAA member institutions and it seemed to contradict your statement from a layman’s point of view (mine)

However the context of those agreements I am ignorant on as I have zero knowledge of NCAA rules and maybe (actually probably) I’m comparing apples to oranges.

I’ll try again. Where you play is not an issue, it happens all the time in every sport. Where you headquarter your franchise is the issue. It appeared one poster thought a deal with DC United fell apart regarding “training facilities”. That doesn’t happen at NCAA schools. My world as a consultant. Interested in what MLS franchise plays on campus? Thanks

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
Why would Mason have architects draw up plans for upgrading of soccer, baseball, and track facilities and not implement a plan at some point?

You plan to determine the possibilities and probabilities.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’ll try again. Where you play is not an issue, it happens all the time in every sport. Where you headquarter your franchise is the issue. It appeared one poster thought a deal with DC United fell apart regarding “training facilities”. That doesn’t happen at NCAA schools. My world as a consultant. Interested in what MLS franchise plays on campus? Thanks

The Miami Dolphins are headquartered at Nova Southeastern University (which granted doesn’t have a football team, but their training facility and front office is literally on campus).

As for United and Mason, it was reported by Goff and others that the two were in negotiations. And the training facilities would have been shared between United’s youth academy and the men’s and women’s soccer team. The new stadium would have been shared with United’s USL affiliate. Those were the reported facts.

But that’s moot since United struck a deal with Loudoun County.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
The Miami Dolphins are headquartered at Nova Southeastern University (which granted doesn’t have a football team, but their training facility and front office is literally on campus).

As for United and Mason, it was reported by Goff and others that the two were in negotiations. And the training facilities would have been shared between United’s youth academy and the men’s and women’s soccer team. The new stadium would have been shared with United’s USL affiliate. Those were the reported facts.

But that’s moot since United struck a deal with Loudoun County.

If you don’t have a football team you don’t have an issue with the NCAA. We’re talking apples to apples with soccer. Also, Mr. Goff may not have understood the NCAA issue’s. Not sure about the “facts” surrounding any reporting. No one on here is even thinking about branding and sponsorship complications regarding existing naming rights agreements and the likes. Makes no sense to me why Mason would go down this road. The acreage required for DC United facility and academy space alone would be significant w/o any meaningful ROI. Enjoyed the chat. Off to NCAA baseball.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
When I contributed to both projects I was clearly told that the funds had to be privately raised. I'm guessing approximately $3 mil for both is close. Not bad in my opinion. What's not to your liking and what were you told when you made your gift? I thought they were very up front with me.
I might be being a bit harsh in relation to the practice facility, but I think everyone on the boards (myself included) feel a bit confused as to what the status of the locker rooms is. When I spoke to some people in the Patriot Club sometime around February after making a donation, I was led to believe the locker rooms would be open before the end of the season. Fast-forward two months to giving day and they're asking for 5k to complete (and I'm sure there was more they needed but didn't publicize). This program doesn't have a huge donor pool so I get if these things take time, but just be upfront. It was a clear on giving day that pretty much everyone on here had the same thoughts I did.

The practice facility itself is fine, even if all it is is a repainted cage gym that now has a lock on it. They didn't sound very optimistic about phase II happening anytime soon when I spoke with them. A little sad at the lack of Mason branding it it too. Even just one wall with some Final Four iconography would be nice.

That all being said, so far I think Brad has done somewhere in the area of a B+ job and is doing well, all things considered. The next year or two will be pivotal for him though. He's grabbed all the low-hanging fruit (better lighting/sound in EBA, video board, naming rights). Now time to see if he can do something a little more out of the box.

Last edited:
C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
I might be being a bit harsh in relation to the practice facility, but I think everyone on the boards (myself included) feel a bit confused as to what the status of the locker rooms is. When I spoke to some people in the Patriot Club sometime around February after making a donation, I was led to believe the locker rooms would be open before the end of the season. Fast-forward two months to giving day and they're asking for 5k to complete (and I'm sure there was more they needed but didn't publicize). This program doesn't have a huge donor pool so I get if these things take time, but just be upfront. It was a clear on giving day that pretty much everyone on here had the same thoughts I did.

The practice facility itself is fine, even if all it is is a repainted cage gym that now has a lock on it. They didn't sound very optimistic about phase II happening anytime soon when I spoke with them. A little sad at the lack of Mason branding it it too. Even just one wall with some Final Four iconography would be nice.

That all being said, so far I think Brad has done somewhere in the area of a B+ job and is doing well, all things considered. The next year or two will be pivotal for him though. He's grabbed all the low-hanging fruit (better lighting/sound in EBA, video board, naming rights). Now time to see if he can do something a little more out of the box.

I’m guessing you didn’t donate to either project because they were very up front with me and I am only in for 2K a year outside of seat licensing. Money for the locker rooms had a pledge component to it for some and I would have expected the department to continue to raise funds to start to eliminate the debt service. The delay isn’t a biggie to me as long as it is done right. It sounds great to me from others who have seen it. Your observation on the practice facility is ridiculous. Paint and a lock? People such as you, simply want to find issues to pick at to impress others with what you think you know. I was told the floor is a cushioned state of the art NBA court by Robbins. I also asked a lot of questions before I contributed and they were great. They also indicated the practice graphics would begin once the contractor released the locker room to the university. Once again, what are you in for other than your 2 cents.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m guessing you didn’t donate to either project because they were very up front with me and I am only in for 2K a year outside of seat licensing. Money for the locker rooms had a pledge component to it for some and I would have expected the department to continue to raise funds to start to eliminate the debt service. The delay isn’t a biggie to me as long as it is done right. It sounds great to me from others who have seen it. Your observation on the practice facility is ridiculous. Paint and a lock? People such as you, simply want to find issues to pick at to impress others with what you think you know. I was told the floor is a cushioned state of the art NBA court by Robbins. I also asked a lot of questions before I contributed and they were great. They also indicated the practice graphics would begin once the contractor released the locker room to the university. Once again, what are you in for other than your 2 cents.
This is an absurdly condescending reply that assumes because they were upfront with you, they were upfront with everyone or were on the same page and relayed the exact information across the board. Take a gander at the giving day posts, everyone on here was confused as to what was going on with the locker room. Is everyone on here stupid, or is it possible that the communication hasn't been great? Brazenly saying someone else doesn't donate (swing and a miss by the way) because you don't agree with them or they were given different information than you is a pretty shitty perspective.

I never faulted them for what the practice facility is. This school has a terrible donor base and apathetic alumni. But let's not sit around and think that the practice facility is some sort of world class facility. It's the cage gym with new hoops (and yes, I will grant you the replaced the futsal court type floor they had), new scoreboards, and other minor upgrades. Again, they did the best they could with the money they had. My issue is with the public communication regarding the locker room.

C

Cedric Dempsey

Spectator
This is an absurdly condescending reply that assumes because they were upfront with you, they were upfront with everyone or were on the same page and relayed the exact information across the board. Take a gander at the giving day posts, everyone on here was confused as to what was going on with the locker room. Is everyone on here stupid, or is it possible that the communication hasn't been great? Brazenly saying someone else doesn't donate (swing and a miss by the way) because you don't agree with them or they were given different information than you is a pretty shitty perspective.

I never faulted them for what the practice facility is. This school has a terrible donor base and apathetic alumni. But let's not sit around and think that the practice facility is some sort of world class facility. It's the cage gym with new hoops (and yes, I will grant you the replaced the futsal court type floor they had), new scoreboards, and other minor upgrades. Again, they did the best they could with the money they had. My issue is with the public communication regarding the locker room.

Not uncommon for the ones who expect the most to usually give the least or not at all. I don't take shots at these projects because I don't contribute enough to make a significant difference. As a non alum I give as a thank you to a program I enjoy and find very affordable for the excellent level of hoops in this conference.

Last edited by a moderator: