Mascot Talk

FreeGunston12

All-American
Consider me appalled.

"The Patriot" is the most disgraceful, generic abomination of a mascot. Remember they supposedly had a naming contest for this thing? That was the best we could come up with? Might as well have named him "The Mascot".

My favorite way to hate on my Alma mater is to point out, "George Mason, where innovation is tradition . . . And our mascot's name is 'The Patriot'".

He rips off Braveheart while wearing a t-shirt for eff's sake!

Literally no one could hold the opinion that he is a superior mascot. I swear you all must do this just to trigger me.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Consider me appalled.

"The Patriot" is the most disgraceful, generic abomination of a mascot. Remember they supposedly had a naming contest for this thing? That was the best we could come up with? Might as well have named him "The Mascot".

My favorite way to hate on my Alma mater is to point out, "George Mason, where innovation is tradition . . . And our mascot's name is 'The Patriot'".

He rips off Braveheart while wearing a t-shirt for eff's sake!

Literally no one could hold the opinion that he is a superior mascot. I swear you all must do this just to trigger me.
At least make him fierce looking. Give him a rifle or something. Anything.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mascots are stupid by their very nature. Was Gunston a good mascot? Was it anything other than a stupid green blob? I mean what are the truly iconic mascots? The Stanford tree (stupid conifer with giant lips) Gritty? (Neck beard muppet) San Diego Chicken? (It’s a freakin chicken). If you really want to go down a rabbit whole of stupidity and awesomeness go look up some of the Japanese sports mascots for their soccer and baseball teams. Absolute insanity.

I get wanting a new logo. The logo is an outward facing symbol that introduces Mason to the world. But the Mascot will be stupid no matter what we do with it. Embrace its stupidity.

At least make him fierce looking. Give him a rifle or something. Anything.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not going to lie, I don't really give a crap what our mascot is one way or another.

That said, what we have serves our purpose. Its not creative but its basically a costume for someone to jump around and act goofy for a few times during home games. I don't expect us to have a tradition like St Joes has with the hawk but its nice that we have at least stayed with The Patriot for almost 15 years now.

Whether we like it or not, Gunston is a very special piece of Mason basketball history and its name links back to something relevant to George Mason himself. If there was a way to bring him back occasionally I would be for that, especially considering who our coach is and what era he is from.

I will say, the Mason Maniak is by far the best mascot we've ever had. I just love the name and wish they would name the student section accordingly after that mascot.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My $0.02:
Calling our mascot "Gunston" because of the link to George Mason himself, makes sense.
The Gunston costume was so embarrassing, especially in 2006. It made our run to Indy even more remarkable.......
What if we compromised-
Take the Mason Maniak costume or The Patriot costume, but called it Gunston? I could live with that.
I just don't want a green version of Grimace anywhere near Mason athletics, DMV kids, preschools, etc.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I may have been one of Kim's biggest defenders, but this is a bridge too far. He is dead to me now! ;-)

It was heresy.

iu

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The Patriot is okay. Gunston was fun.
Why not both?
Of more importance is coming up with a couple of cool logos.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Mascots are stupid by their very nature. Was Gunston a good mascot? Was it anything other than a stupid green blob? I mean what are the truly iconic mascots? The Stanford tree (stupid conifer with giant lips) Gritty? (Neck beard muppet) San Diego Chicken? (It’s a freakin chicken). If you really want to go down a rabbit whole of stupidity and awesomeness go look up some of the Japanese sports mascots for their soccer and baseball teams. Absolute insanity.

I get wanting a new logo. The logo is an outward facing symbol that introduces Mason to the world. But the Mascot will be stupid no matter what we do with it. Embrace its stupidity.
EXACTLY!

Let's put our energy into getting rid of the Upward Mason logo. Especially, now when we have added George back to the unis. Funny, that was the one actual accomplishment in Kimmie's two years here.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
EXACTLY!

Let's put our energy into getting rid of the Upward Mason logo. Especially, now when we have added George back to the unis. Funny, that was the one actual accomplishment in Kimmie's two years here.
It sounds like the new AD is going to focus on marketing and branding in the short term, and ensuring we have a consistent and clear theme across all channels. This is an area that has needed attention for a long time, glad it is on his mind.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My $0.02:
Calling our mascot "Gunston" because of the link to George Mason himself, makes sense.
The Gunston costume was so embarrassing, especially in 2006. It made our run to Indy even more remarkable.......
What if we compromised-
Take the Mason Maniak costume or The Patriot costume, but called it Gunston? I could live with that.
I just don't want a green version of Grimace anywhere near Mason athletics, DMV kids, preschools, etc.
How DARE you slander Grimace on his birthday

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Somewhat related, but whatever you think of the Patriot mascot I hope all would agree whoever was in the costume this year did a great job. This is probably the most engaged I've seen the mascot in years; actively cheering throughout the game, interacting with fans, entertaining dances and good rapport with Doc Nix and the cheerleaders/dance team. Hope that person returns.