News Maryland transfer Nick Faust mentions Mason as possible destination

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Why not? If it helps the team win. Scholarships are renewed on a year to year basis anyway.

IMO, you don't do it for the same reason that Larranaga never revoked Makan Konate's scholarship even though it was evident he wouldn't contribute much in games. Konate, however, was a good student and teammate who worked hard on and off the court.

Now, if a player is not working hard academically and athletically, I don't have a problem with revoking his scholarship. Who do you believe falls in this category?

masonjoe

Starter
IMO, you don't do it for the same reason that Larranaga never revoked Makan Konate's scholarship even though it was evident he wouldn't contribute much in games. Konate, however, was a good student and teammate who worked hard on and off the court.

Now, if a player is not working hard academically and athletically, I don't have a problem with revoking his scholarship. Who do you believe falls in this category?

A Makan Konate reference, LOL

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

How do you think Pitino got Hancock when he had no scholarships. If I remember correctly he made one of his seniors a walk-on

Pablo

Hall of Famer
How do you think Pitino got Hancock when he had no scholarships. If I remember correctly he made one of his seniors a walk-on

If I'm not mistaken, Pitino converted multiple players to a walk-on status at that time to open up scholarships. This is not a practice I endorse for Mason, but I can understand that others do.

JBiggs

Starter
Yep. Very surprised that Gray hasn't transferred at this point.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Yep. Very surprised that Gray hasn't transferred at this point.

Per his brother:

" . . . and to answer the questions as to why he didn't transfer.... Vaughn loves the school outside of basketball and loves the people around him in Fairfax. he gets fans that tell him to keep his head up because they know something isn't right, and believe me his spirits are high and he's ready to hit the floot IF that happens..."

Harry

Starter
Per his brother:

" . . . and to answer the questions as to why he didn't transfer.... Vaughn loves the school outside of basketball and loves the people around him in Fairfax. he gets fans that tell him to keep his head up because they know something isn't right, and believe me his spirits are high and he's ready to hit the floot IF that happens..."
Gray is truly a special person...he more than deserves to play. Shame on Hewitt for not realizing this.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Hewitt certainly has treated him like one.

No, walk ons are expected to run all the drills, travel, workout, and practice as much as a scholarship player. They just don't get 1 second of playing time (literally). Cough, cough, Michael Rudy. At least VG saw the court some last year.

masonjoe

Starter
Per his brother:

At this point, it's a huge IF ...

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Gray is truly a special person...he more than deserves to play. Shame on Hewitt for not realizing this.

Harry, do you mean he's a special person or s a special player, because there's a big distinction. I think you're a special person, but I don't think that means you deserve to play. Shame on me if you disagree. :cool:

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Harry, do you mean he's a special person or s a special player, because there's a big distinction. I think you're a special person, but I don't think that means you deserve to play. Shame on me if you disagree. :cool:

6a00d8341bf80c53ef0168e65ec2f2970c.jpg

Harry

Starter
Special person (sorry for the confusion). It takes a special person to continue with the program despite what appears to be grossly unfair treatment. It would be nice if he was given the opportunity to show if he is a special player...