Loyola Chicago joining the Atlantic 10

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Temple and Wichita also get paid 3 million a year while A-10 teams get $300k per Sully from Dayton on Twitter. He says it is unrealistic for an AAC school to give that up. Leading me to believe Belmont is a good option
But how much would Belmont have to pay to get out of their brand new MVC agreement, in addition to their OVC exit fee?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
But how much would Belmont have to pay to get out of their brand new MVC agreement, in addition to their OVC exit fee?
guarantee you they had an out clause for Loyola leaving. The only reason they went to MVC was to be in a more competitive two bid league... it's now slightly better than the OVC conference they left without Loyola

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
guarantee you they had an out clause for Loyola leaving. The only reason they went to MVC was to be in a more competitive two bid league... it's now slightly better than the OVC conference they left without Loyola
I agree, and would love for Belmont to join. I also see a somewhat realistic scenario where St Louis and Wichita head to the Big East in the next couple of years.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, and would love for Belmont to join. I also see a somewhat realistic scenario where St Louis and Wichita head to the Big East in the next couple of years.
Wichita is a long shot in my book. I would be hesitant to add anything further out west than SLU because if SLU ever did leave (which wouldn’t surprise me), that new western school (like a Drake) would then be really screwed and all alone.

ephoops

Starter
Remember, the Big east currently sits at 11 teams. You would expect them to try to bring in another school to get it up to 12 members.

St. Louis fits the current Big East profile and I would not be surprised to see them leave the A-10 and move to the Big East. Dayton is also another possible target for Big East expansion.

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Remember, the Big east currently sits at 11 teams. You would expect them to try to bring in another school to get it up to 12 members.

St. Louis fits the current Big East profile and I would not be surprised to see them leave the A-10 and move to the Big East. Dayton is also another possible target for Big East expansion.
Dayton certainly fits the profile as a basketball program, but they don't add a new media market, and I'm sure Xavier would be very against it.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Xavier has the rights to block Dayton to the Big East, so unless concessions are made to Xavier in other areas, Dayton isn't going there.

SLU has wanted to go the Big East for a while and they check a lot of boxes as ephoops pointed out. The initial hold up from the conference was if the school would commit financially. This was a few years ago and at that time, SLU would've been last in spending. Thats was crazy to hear, considering I just assumed SLU was outspending DePaul. I'm not sure if spending is an issue now so we'll see.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Xavier has the rights to block Dayton to the Big East, so unless concessions are made to Xavier in other areas, Dayton isn't going there.

SLU has wanted to go the Big East for a while and they check a lot of boxes as ephoops pointed out. The initial hold up from the conference was if the school would commit financially. This was a few years ago and at that time, SLU would've been last in spending. Thats was crazy to hear, considering I just assumed SLU was outspending DePaul. I'm not sure if spending is an issue now so we'll see.

According to Three Man Weave, both Dayton and SLU outspend Xavier, DePaul, and Butler (who is last in Big East spending).

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Outside of Wichita State and Temple, what is another school that would fit geographically, and enhance the conference? Don’t say Memphis, because that’s not happening.
I would suggest the A10 go after recognizable University’s based on name. If they are good at basketball that’s a bonus.

I suggest, Delaware, Northeastern, W&M, Navy, or UMBC.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You’re all looking at this wrong. All we have to do is kick Fordham out. Problem solved.
I wish Fordham could get their act together athletic wise. They are a well- respected university especially in the north-east.

The name recognition could help the conference. But not when you continuously suck.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I like Temple and Wichita State to join the league obviously. Temple would have to take place of Lasalle because I don't think you can have 3 Philly teams. Don't think Wichita State is coming.

I'd love Fordham to be replaced with Iona or Hofstra as they are basketball focused schools. I'm obviously biased to any NYC area team so I'd doubt Hofstra would come, but Iona would maybe be a bit more realistic since they do spend a lot on basketball if I recall plus Pitino.

I have no idea how any of this is ever going to shake out, but as long as the A10 has what they have, they'll be a good basketball focused conference which is the ultimate goal.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I like Temple and Wichita State to join the league obviously. Temple would have to take place of Lasalle because I don't think you can have 3 Philly teams. Don't think Wichita State is coming.

I'd love Fordham to be replaced with Iona or Hofstra as they are basketball focused schools. I'm obviously biased to any NYC area team so I'd doubt Hofstra would come, but Iona would maybe be a bit more realistic since they do spend a lot on basketball if I recall plus Pitino.

I have no idea how any of this is ever going to shake out, but as long as the A10 has what they have, they'll be a good basketball focused conference which is the ultimate goal.

Not Hofstra - aiming too low there.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I like Temple and Wichita State to join the league obviously. Temple would have to take place of Lasalle because I don't think you can have 3 Philly teams.
as a Philly suburbs native

Currrent
LaSalle Joined 1995
St. Joes Joined 1982

Former
Temple 1982 - 2013
Villanova 1986 - 1990

3 Philly schools 1986-90, 1995-2013

and I am all for Temple coming back to the A-10

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
as a Philly suburbs native

Currrent
LaSalle Joined 1995
St. Joes Joined 1982

Former
Temple 1982 - 2013
Villanova 1986 - 1990

3 Philly schools 1986-90, 1995-2013

and I am all for Temple coming back to the A-10

I mean I guess it could be then, I didn't realize they have had 3 Philly schools at points.

Not Hofstra - aiming too low there.

I agree Hofstra is probably not much of a fit unless they suddenly invested a ton into basketball. That said, they don't have football and the CAA is imploding with schools looking to be either football/basketball centric. I think Iona is probably more likely if they would take one from the region, but thats all my personal biased to get another school.