Loyola Chicago joining the Atlantic 10

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I bet Belmont regrets their move to the Valley now. Maybe they can be #16 in the Atlantic 16.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Unless another school is added, nice three pods of five:

West: SLU, Loyola, Dayton, Duquesne, Bona

South: Davidson, vcu, Richmond, Mason, GW

East: La Salle, Saint Joe's, Fordham, UMass, URI
Interesting...possibly home-and-home games with the 4 other teams in your own pod and single games with the other 10 (alternating every year as to home vs away opponents).

Or do you get a 16th member and go to a 2 division league? Would there be a way to limit travel costs?

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Interesting...possibly home-and-home games with the 4 other teams in your own pod and single games with the other 10 (alternating every year as to home vs away opponents).

Or do you get a 16th member and go to a 2 division league? Would there be a way to limit travel costs?
Travel didtance minimzed by
1) home and home within your division
2) play one other division all at home
3) play the other division all away

4) schedule set so that away travel goes to division in pairs and 2 games played in a 3 day period
(if the TV contract people will agree to that

e.g. team 1 M/W
2 T/Th
3 W/F
4 TH/S
5 Fr/S

then week 2
T/Th

guarantees 2 games per day on a TV schedule

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If I was a betting man the a10 adds one more team and spilts the conference into two divisions.

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Outside of Wichita State and Temple, what is another school that would fit geographically, and enhance the conference? Don’t say Memphis, because that’s not happening.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Outside of Wichita State and Temple, what is another school that would fit geographically, and enhance the conference? Don’t say Memphis, because that’s not happening.

I feel like Wichita State and Temple are definitely the obvious choices.

But if the A10 stepped down a level, I could see them going after Vermont as well. But I think that'd only happen if Vermont committed to upgrading facilities (their gym only holds like 3500 people).

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wichita brings fans to tournaments etc. Not sure if temple travels that well.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
If they are looking out west, Bradley fits the bill as a private basketball school and it's between SLU and Loyola, but they are pretty mediocre in basketball and don't bring a major market. To be honest, I only bring them up because they are about 50 min from my house. Anyway.

Valpo is another small private school that is close to Chicago and has basketball history, but they have football and do we need to schools in our conference that wear brown?

Having a school in Nashville would be cool and Belmont definitely fits the A10 mold as a basketball private school.

Murray St is another good name, but in the middle of nowhere (1 hour 30 outside of Nashville) and they have a decent football program.

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If they are looking out west, Bradley fits the bill as a private basketball school and it's between SLU and Loyola, but they are pretty mediocre in basketball and don't bring a major market. To be honest, I only bring them up because they are about 50 min from my house. Anyway.

Valpo is another small private school that is close to Chicago and has basketball history, but they have football and do we need to schools in our conference that wear brown?

Having a school in Nashville would be cool and Belmont definitely fits the A10 mold as a basketball private school.

Murray St is another good name, but in the middle of nowhere (1 hour 30 outside of Nashville) and they have a decent football program.
What about Drake? They’ve been successful recently, have a pretty nice facility, and reside in decently sized market.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
What about Drake? They’ve been successful recently, have a pretty nice facility, and reside in decently sized market.
I didn't look at any schools further west than SLU, but they would fit the bill if they are looking to go further out.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

I thought about Murray State, but after seeing the football program, didn't mention them as I wouldn't be surprised if they don't leave because of it. They've been members of OVC since 1948 too... wow!

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Given everything you all have posted - WIchita State and Loyola from a geographic, current state of program, and historical perspective - fits the A10. Getting Wichita State would be a great win.

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The problem I see for Wichita St is that they have no real incentive to leave the AAC while Cincinnati, Houston, and Memphis are still the conference. Wichita can sit back and wait for the Big East to come calling, or they can wait for the AAC to implode and then call the A10, who will take them in a heartbeat.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The problem I see for Wichita St is that they have no real incentive to leave the AAC while Cincinnati, Houston, and Memphis are still the conference. Wichita can sit back and wait for the Big East to come calling, or they can wait for the AAC to implode and then call the A10, who will take them in a heartbeat.
Temple and Wichita also get paid 3 million a year while A-10 teams get $300k per Sully from Dayton on Twitter. He says it is unrealistic for an AAC school to give that up. Leading me to believe Belmont is a good option