Let's play a game...

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just want a defense first coach again. I'm tired of teams going for almost 50 against us every second half. Our offense hasn't been great, but if we just hold a team like Fordham under 40 in the 2nd half, we win that game. It's maddening.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought Scott Cherry might be a good head coach. I guess I don't know anything about selecting a good head coach which apparently wouldn't disqualify me from an AD job at Mason.

I was pushing Courtney pretty hard as well. I do give KA credit for being ahead of the curve on Courtney. He was spot on about not being keen on him like several of us were.

I thought Scott Cherry might be a good head coach. I guess I don't know anything about selecting a good head coach which apparently wouldn't disqualify me from an AD job at Mason.

Jury is still out, but Cherry had a great shot at going to the NCAA 's last year until the ROY got hurt a couple games before the Big South tourny. They were playing well this year until a preseason 1st team all conference pick went down in December and he has been struggling to get a good rotation going again. I wouldn't be shocked if they make a run come tourny time in the Big South. They have one of the best players in the conference as a sophomore in John Brown. Just have to find other pieces with him. 3 of their top 4 scorers left healthy are sophomores. Their 3 seniors don't contribute much. Bright future there.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well, Tom, you got what you wanted. A guy with head coaching experience. Still think the program is too good for an assistant coach to take over?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Well, Tom, you got what you wanted. A guy with head coaching experience. Still think the program is too good for an assistant coach to take over?

How's Butler doing with an assistant taking over? Nothing's obviously a given whether you hire a head coach or an assistant. And just to be clear, just because I liked the hire of Hewitt, it's not like I advocated for him to get the job when we were looking. I didn't even view him as a remote possibility.

In fact, as I've stated numerous times, I suggested Courtney who was an assistant. If we hired a person with head coaching experience, I was thinking more along the lines of someone from another mid- major or even a proven guy from a low-major.

I know you've never liked Hewitt, but don't deflect and blame me just because I endorsed the hire and have supported him. You should direct your anger at the Tom who hired him.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think even Brad Stevens could have won with this year's Butler roster.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm just tired of rehashing the hire over and over again. We can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. I'm more concerned with what happens moving forward. If Hewitt's canned, I hope they look at all viable candidates whether they are current or former head coaches or assistants. If he's retained, I will support him and the team.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe the WOPR could start by helping the kids who play the tic tac toe game during timeouts.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe the WOPR could start by helping the kids who play the tic tac toe game during timeouts.
I know. I feel like my diploma gets devalued every time that game is played. My 7 year old mastered the strategy of tic tac toe years ago...

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Now that is something our coach could probably beat most other coaches at.

Oh, wait you were doing more movie lines...

Just like in everything else, Hewitt would devise a brilliant strategy and then fall apart when his opponent switched from a Yugoslav attack to a Zwischenzug and what would have looked like a sure victory become an inexplicable check mate.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Just like in everything else, Hewitt would devise a brilliant strategy and then fall apart when his opponent switched from a Yugoslav attack to a Zwischenzug and what would have looked like a sure victory become an inexplicable check mate.

Well to be fair, he needs 4 years to collect the right pieces first - can't very well win w/what the last guy left on the board.

Two rooks and two knights??? That's crazy talk!!