Let's play a game...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
When did Arledge become such a program changer? Really?

Some on here are acting like if Arledge stayed, we would have a much more succesful year so far. Some have even said, we may ave had 5 or 6 more wins if he were still on the team.

Sorry, don't buy it. Arledge does not have enough skills to overcome the Hewitt factor.

Chank, I'm as critical of Hewitt as anyone, but to act as if the unexpected loss of our best big man after one game can just be glossed over is kinda silly.

It's ultimately not an excuse for being winless in the A-10 -- excuses are for losers -- but I'd think we could all acknowledge that we'd be better if we still had the Arledge who looked so good over the second half of last season.

Would there be enough justification and budget that with the move to the A-10, that they could get an additional coach to come in and help? I see many other programs have at least 4 assistants. I know they have Scott Lombardi as an "operations" guy and another guy is there for "player development", but maybe there can be justification for another "assistant coach".

Please let the NCAA which schools have 4 assistants (other than Air Force or other military schools). The NCAA only allows 3 assistant coaches. The others have to have made up names like "Directory of skill enhancement", but they can not be on the floor working with players at all.

They can not hire, in official capacity, a 4th assistant coach.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Please let the NCAA which schools have 4 assistants (other than Air Force or other military schools). The NCAA only allows 3 assistant coaches. The others have to have made up names like "Directory of skill enhancement", but they can not be on the floor working with players at all.

Woops I stand corrected. Just seems like other schools always have a lot of staff but they are different "titles" as you said

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

Maybe the NCAA should take a look at Fordham. I couldn't believe the number of coaches they had in the game. Thought it might be some kind of mentor day or something, but sure enough looking at their team picture below you have 14 people in suits!
http://fordhamsports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I remember a game when Wade Houston was the coach at Tennessee. He was a horrible coach. Well, Tennessee was behind by 1 point to Kentucky - the #2 team in the country at the time - and Houston called time out with a few seconds left to set up a play. He drew out the play. Al Brown - one of his assistants - sees the play and grabs the clip board and says, "We aren't going to do that! We are going to run this play." They won. Maybe Hewitt should hire Al Brown.

I agree with hiring Al Brown, but I'm guessing that he's happy being an assistant on the Duke women's team - see http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=896667

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Just saying, if JA was here AND we were where we are, then I'd be closer to a sure thing Hewitt got fired. Not saying JA was a program changer, but him leaving does help Hewitt.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just saying, if JA was here AND we were where we are, then I'd be closer to a sure thing Hewitt got fired. Not saying JA was a program changer, but him leaving does help Hewitt.

Hewitt's Parachute.

Chank, I'm as critical of Hewitt as anyone, but to act as if the unexpected loss of our best big man after one game can just be glossed over is kinda silly.
It's ultimately not an excuse for being winless in the A-10 -- excuses are for losers -- but I'd think we could all acknowledge that we'd be better if we still had the Arledge who looked so good over the second half of last season.

I'm sorry, I just don't agree. JA mainly did well at he end of last season because he snuck up on people at th end of the year. Any success he may have had early this season would have been negated by other teams having competent coaches and game planning against JA. Add to that Hewitt's inability to make adjustments to put JA in any position to succeed and we still end up where we are right now.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Hewitt's Parachute.
Any success he may have had early this season would have been negated by other teams having competent coaches and game planning against JA.

I disagree. It would have been much harder to game plan against JA and the emerging Jenkins, which could have opened things up for other players on the floor. Who knows what our record would or wouldn't be with JA on the team, but all we can say is that we'd be better if he were here.

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Okay, sure, I'll concede to you're point. We'd be a better 7-13, maybe 8-12 team. Woo Hoo!

If JA goes on to have a great career either in the NBA or overseas, I'll admit I was way off. But it won't happen. JA is soft as tissue paper nd doesn't have the heart to compete with other grown a** men who woul eat him alive. And the stretch of about 4 or 5 games he played well in last year will be seen for what it is, an anomaly in an otherwise mediocre college career.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Something to remember, Arledge and Jenkins both saw time at the 4. If Arledge is around, does Jenkins progress as much as he has? Yes there is a chance Arledge plays the 5 with Jenkins too.

Going forward, I think it is advantageous to Jenkins that he played so much. I'm not saying it makes the team a load better, or Hewitt's job gets saved or anything like that, but its nice to know early on that Jenkins is the beast he is.

Merely food for thought.

Maybe the NCAA should take a look at Fordham. I couldn't believe the number of coaches they had in the game. Thought it might be some kind of mentor day or something, but sure enough looking at their team picture below you have 14 people in suits!
http://fordhamsports.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

It is New York. Those guys are probably "friends of the program" if you catch my meaning. Helps to have them in the picture. But yeah, that's a lot of expensive suits in that picture.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
It is New York. Those guys are probably "friends of the program" if you catch my meaning. Helps to have them in the picture. But yeah, that's a lot of expensive suits in that picture.

I watched the video feed of the game when we were up there. Same group on the floor with the team. Posted about it shortly after our loss.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

psyclone

Hall of Famer

I'm guessing some of those "suits" are trainers and equipment managers/undergrads, not on the payroll but chasing down balls, providing water bottles, etc.

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Something to remember, Arledge and Jenkins both saw time at the 4. If Arledge is around, does Jenkins progress as much as he has? Yes there is a chance Arledge plays the 5 with Jenkins too.
Going forward, I think it is advantageous to Jenkins that he played so much. I'm not saying it makes the team a load better, or Hewitt's job gets saved or anything like that, but its nice to know early on that Jenkins is the beast he is.
Merely food for thought.

Great point.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Not for nothing, but JA played very well in a helluva lot more than 4 or 5 games last season.

Once J2 went down and JA's minutes went way up, he scored in double figures more often than not in the second half of the season.

He was probably our best overall player over the final 15 games. Sorry, but I'm not buying that we wouldn't be a much better team with him than we are without him.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
When did Arledge become such a program changer? Really?

Some on here are acting like if Arledge stayed, we would have a much more succesful year so far. Some have even said, we may ave had 5 or 6 more wins if he were still on the team.

Sorry, don't buy it. Arledge does not have enough skills to overcome the Hewitt factor.

Last 18 games he averaged 13.2 points and 5.8 boards. In the last 12 games, he went for 16+ points in five games. I'm no Paul Ball 2.0 fan, but losing Arledge stinks.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think JA would have been good this year, but just as JA did not emerge until J2 had an injury, I don't think Jenkins would have emerged if JA had been around. While JA would have made a difference earlier in the season and probably turned some Ls into Ws, we would not have the Jenkins we have now. I think Jenkins now is better than what we would have gotten out of JA.

So, to summarize, I think we would have a couple extra Ws on the books, but think we would not be playing significantly better right now as it would have likely been an either or situation, not a both situation.