News Jonathan Arledge May Not Return

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Ah yes. I do realize that now. Sorry.

If it makes you guys feel any better I haven't taken a math class in like 15 years (and never one at Mason). So the accounting department's reputation is safe.

I was just breaking your balls, Gemini.

I didn't take any math at Mason, either -- fought like hell to avoid it, in fact.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Interestingly, when I heard that Avery Carey was returning to the Patriots in 1998-99 after missing almost his entire senior season with a back injury, I questioned how Mason had sufficient scholarships for the returning players and the recruits who signed. But, Leighton Henry left the program with no announcement from the AD. I assume that Coach Larranaga chose not to renew Henry's scholarship in order to open up a scholarship for the returning Carey.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Since Wittington hasn't played this season and was released before the start of the spring semester, he likely wouldn't have to sit out all of next season. He might be eligible immediately, and worst case, he would be eligible mid-season (December 2014).

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Since Wittington hasn't played this season and was released before the start of the spring semester, he likely wouldn't have to sit out all of next season. He might be eligible immediately, and worst case, he would be eligible mid-season (December 2014).

If you believe that Greg Whittington might be eligible to play immediately, then you are evidently confusing free agency in the pros with the NCAA transfer rule. As a D-I transfer, Whittington would have to meet the 1-year residence rule at the school where he transfers to. For Whittington to be eligible after the fall semester of next season (December 2014) at Mason, he would have to transfer for the spring semester of this school year and be a full-time student for the spring semester 2014 and the fall semester 2014.

Last edited:

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Since the NCAA has stopped playing by their own rulebook regarding eligibility, all that may be out the window by next fall. But yes, he would have to enroll this spring.I was assuming he would do that. Maybe that's a bad assumption since he'd have to pay his own way for a semester.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Since the NCAA has stopped playing by their own rulebook regarding eligibility, all that may be out the window by next fall. But yes, he would have to enroll this spring.I was assuming he would do that. Maybe that's a bad assumption since he'd have to pay his own way for a semester.

And, is it also your assumption that he currently qualifies academically for admission to Mason?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know all the specifics of Whittington's case, but I guess I'm not really understanding why we'd want to take another school's discipline problem. Those situations almost never work out well.

Far more likely that Hewitt wants the 4th scholarship for a promising HS senior ... perhaps the Giga kid from Lithuania by way of New Jersey?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know all the specifics of Whittington's case, but I guess I'm not really understanding why we'd want to take another school's discipline problem. Those situations almost never work out well.

Completely agree. Not worth the risk to take on that kid's baggage, although I might reconsider if he could turn around our program like another Georgetown transfer was able to do for Towson. Pat Skerry is a very good coach, but getting Jerrelle Benimon has made him into a great coach.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Completely agree. Not worth the risk to take on that kid's baggage, although I might reconsider if he could turn around our program like another Georgetown transfer was able to do for Towson. Pat Skerry is a very good coach, but getting Jerrelle Benimon has made him into a great coach.

Needs to be pointed out that Benimon's situation was totally different from Whittington's.

Benimon, for whatever reason, could barely get off the bench for JT3. But I never heard a bad word about the kid from anyone. It just seemed as if the GT staff didn't believe he could play on the Big East level.

Whittington is incredibly talented, which is why they gave him about 25,000 chances to get his head on straight and stop screwing around. The fact that GT finally decided to cut him loose sends up all kinds of red flags for me.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And, is it also your assumption that he currently qualifies academically for admission to Mason?
I have no idea. Why was he dismissed? I assume his name wouldn't have come up here if he was dismissed for academic reasons.

The question wasn't whether I would want him (I don't) but rather how he would affect our scholarship count.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Needs to be pointed out that Benimon's situation was totally different from Whittington's.

I know, but a guy can dream. haha

I bet there's not a day goes by that JT3 doesn't kick himself for letting Benimon get away. Kid is an absolute beast.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
So we're just pissing in the wind with this Greg Whittington talk correct? There aren't any actual rumors of any ties with him possibly coming to George Mason?

I'd like to see Arledge come back for a year. Redshirt Porter. But, at the same time, if we can land a stud PG or SG instead then that would be the much better, and obvious direction to go in.

I don't think Whittington is coming here, but I'd bet a lot more more than he'd get the scholarship for next season before JA did.

I think we'll try to get a JuCo big man with the last scholarship or a JuCo "scorer"

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
As an aside: We already have a successful Georgetown transfer on campus. Her name is Taylor Brown and she's averaging 17+ points and over 5 assists per game for the Lady Patriots.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know, but a guy can dream. haha

I bet there's not a day goes by that JT3 doesn't kick himself for letting Benimon get away. Kid is an absolute beast.

Really not too different than OCM letting Vlad walk and turn into the Patriot League POY.

Just as Vlad didn't really fit the role OCM envisioned for him at Mason, JT3 never gave Benimon the freedom to roam and play a pseudo point forward like he is at Towson.

Moving down a level also seems to help some guys discover their confidence.

I still wouldn't want Whittington, though.

Last edited:

GMUJETS24

Four-star Recruit
Just saw Arledge with GMUBaller14. I guess he is healthy enough apparently to go the gym. Saw him on the bike.
20131202_213458.jpeg

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Thanks to stalker-boy, we now know that Jonathan Arledge's back is healthy enough for him to join Mason's cycling team. Somebody get that kid some EPO, stat!