News Jonathan Arledge May Not Return

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That doesn't quite jibe, since we still have an open scholarship. So unless we got a bead in two players who are going to contribute right away I'm not sure why you'd give Arledge that ultimatum.

Probably because they do have their eye on two maybe even more players - recruiting is an on-going process it does not have a fixed season. There may be a JUCO or a player at another D I program that fits Hewitt's profile and maybe ripe for a transfer. If you let Arledge sit out with a red shirt this year with his desire to play somewhere else openly stated to the coaching staff - why would you accommodate him. You lose at both ends - you don't get him playing this year and he bolts for the door next. You HAVE to issue that ultimatum.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That doesn't quite jibe, since we still have an open scholarship. So unless we got a bead in two players who are going to contribute right away I'm not sure why you'd give Arledge that ultimatum.

It jibes if you consider the possibility they have their eyes on somebody for that last scholarship and would rather that player suit up for several years rather than rolling the dice on a kid coming off a back injury.

OP
sigmanorm

sigmanorm

Starter
I think it is going to depend on JA's work ethic with Handy. He could still salvage a spot on the team, but he is going to really have to show significant strength increase. I think the staff has a similar thought about him like most on the boards, too soft to play inside. If he were 6'7" then I think he would be better thought of, but at 6'9" you expect a player that can dictate his game inside. We won't know for a while unfortunately, unless they sign another recruit.

I don't think he comes back. He wasn't on the bench tonight, Hewitt said he hasn't been practicing (the latest press conference on gomason.com) so it's like he has completely withdrawn from the team. If he were just going to work his tail off with the staff to get better, I think he'd still want to be around the team and the coaches.

Maybe he was just out of town for Thanksgiving, but he's a local kid so I don't know if that would be the case. I think we've seen the last of Jon in a Mason uniform.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I took that more as Hewitt saying Jon is too hurt to practice.

Whatever rift currently exists, there is a lot of time for the situation to change between now and next spring. But it depends on how hard Jon wants to work at it. I think his best chance is right here at Mason, not warming an ACC bench.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I took that more as Hewitt saying Jon is too hurt to practice.

Whatever rift currently exists, there is a lot of time for the situation to change between now and next spring. But it depends on how hard Jon wants to work at it. I think his best chance is right here at Mason, not warming an ACC bench.

What we know:

(1) It was mutually agreed that it's in Jonathan's best interests to shut down for the season to allow his back to recover from the injury he sustained in an auto accident;
(2) He is expected to graduate in May; and
(3) Because he has played in at least one contest this season, he is not eligible for a medical redshirt, but he could apply (and receive approval) for a medical hardship waiver to have his senior season restored.

What we don't know:

(1) Whether Jonathan will apply for a medical hardship waiver to continue his college basketball career; and
(2) If his senior season is restored, whether he would play for Mason or utilize the 5th year transfer rule.

If you recall, Avery Carey played in 1 game in 1997-98 and missed the remainder of the season with a back injury. His senior season was restored, and he played in the Patriots' 1998-99 CAA championship season. However, my guess is that Jonathan will not return to the Patriots. Regardless, I hope that he fully recovers from his back injury.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He has already applied for waiver per wash post.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
He has already applied for waiver per wash post.

If you watch the post game press conference, it's confusing. First, Coach Hewitt indicated that Jonathan had applied for the medical hardship waiver and then later seem to say that he needs to apply. My guess is that he's expressed the desire to apply for the medical hardship waiver.

Last edited:
OP
sigmanorm

sigmanorm

Starter
Maybe they are working on getting Greg Whittington now that he has been released by Georgetown? He would have to sit out next year, which would leave room on the bench for JA?

JBiggs

Starter
Still requires two scholarships, unless one of them wants to pay their way next year. Interesting thought.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You would be incorrect unless we just signed someone else. We had 4 open scholarships for 2014 and signed Lockett, Porter and Mayimba. We have an outstanding scholarship. We will have 2 if Arledge leaves.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
You would be incorrect unless we just signed someone else. We had 4 open scholarships for 2014 and signed Lockett, Porter and Mayimba. We have an outstanding scholarship. We will have 2 if Arledge leaves.

Let's follow the conversation. If Mason signs Greg Whittington and Arledge returns (and no one leaves early), there would be 14 players (not counting walk-ons) for next season:

Gray
Holloway
Copes
Arledge
Whittington
Edwards
Okoloji
Jenkins
Moore
Royal
Gujanicic
& the 3 recruits

Pablo

Hall of Famer
We had four open and only signed three recruits

Do you understand that one of the open scholarships is Arledge's? This means that if the Patriots sign other player like Greg Whittington & Arledge returns (which obviously is unlikely), there would be 14 players (excluding walk-ons).

JBiggs

Starter
Haha, Pablo is doing all the work for me here. Yes, our fourth scholarship for 2014 is predicated on the fact that Jonathan Arledge is a senior, and will be graduating this year. If he comes back for a fifth year, he will require a scholarship unless he wants to be a walk-on. That would eat up the fourth scholarship in waiting.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Damn, this discussion doesn't exactly place Mason's accounting program in the greatest light.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ah yes. I do realize that now. Sorry.

If it makes you guys feel any better I haven't taken a math class in like 15 years (and never one at Mason). So the accounting department's reputation is safe.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We have one scholarship left. Either Arledge or a new recruit will get it.