News Jonathan Arledge May Not Return

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Per Ben Standig's Twitter:

Tweet #1: "Jonathan Arledge already ruled out for road games at Iona, Princeton. Missed last 3 games with sore back #GMU"

Tweet #2: "More GMU: I checked in with program on why Arledge wasn't on the bench during last night's win. Story coming on CSNwashington."

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
The article didn't clarify anything beyond a bad back.

Trying to read in-between the lines based on all the rumors perhaps all parties are taking a cooling off period to figure things out.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Should we be concerned that he arrived at the game after class, but didn't join the team on the bench?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I personally think it's a good thing that he at least went to the Patriot Center. I thought he was in class and then just went back to his dorm or something. Maybe he interacted with the team afterwards?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I personally think it's a good thing that he at least went to the Patriot Center. I thought he was in class and then just went back to his dorm or something. Maybe he interacted with the team afterwards?

Wouldn't be beneficial for Jonathan to interact with his teammates during a game as the injured Bryon Allen has been doing?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Wouldn't be beneficial for Jonathan to interact with his teammates during a game as the injured Bryon Allen has been doing?

Maybe they told him to go to class? Seems his injury is a lot more serious than Allen's. Maybe Arledge is being told to limit activity as much as possible. I have no idea.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't know about injured players, but I remember redshirts sometimes skipping weeknight home games in the past, presumably to attend class.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I don't have a problem with Jonathan attending a class. But, if he arrived at the game later, why not sit on the bench? It reminds me of the CIT game vs. Fairfield when Kevin Foster (who planned to transfer) sat in the stands rather than on the bench.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I he had put on 10-15 pounds of muscle this offseason (like Juvonte Reddic has), learned how to play with passion and fire, learned how to position himself for rebounds, and how to play defense without fouling, then there would be NBA talk (like there is for Juvonte Reddic). He has enormous amounts of work to do even to be in the conversation.

Best of luck to the guy, whatever happens. I'm certainly disappointed.

Sorry, but it's well beyond him 'trying harder' and putting on some muscle. I like him, but he didn't win the NBA 'gene lottery' and doesn't have the raw athleticism/agility to play either forward spot in the NBA.

OP
sigmanorm

sigmanorm

Starter
The article didn't clarify anything beyond a bad back.

Trying to read in-between the lines based on all the rumors perhaps all parties are taking a cooling off period to figure things out.
Let's hope they are all talking now and not just jumping to conclusions.

GMUJETS24

Four-star Recruit
Only thing that Mason would miss from him is his height, ability to stretch the defense; he also provides depth. I love the way Marko is playing though, haven't had a down low presence since Pearson left. Jalen will be a nice fill in; I hope he can develop a jumper as the season progresses.

OP
sigmanorm

sigmanorm

Starter
I think he will be back this year. I don't think the medical red shirt is going to work out.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There was never going to be any guarantee that he'd be granted a medical redshirt. Especially with it being a back injury, it's up to the judgment of the NCAA as to whether he could've come back and played at some point.

No sense wasting his final year of eligibility and gambling that the NCAA will give him another. They're just as likely to say No.

Even if it's not ideally what JA wants, it's probably best for all parties that he gets back on the court ASAP. It's certainly better for the team.

OP
sigmanorm

sigmanorm

Starter
Is this a "gut" feel, or have you heard something from someone who has been talking with Jonathan?
A little birdie told me the medical red shirt is not going to fly. Still don't know if that means he will be back on the bench or not yet. Hopefully everyone will sit down and figure it out calmly.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well if his medical red-shirt is indeed denied then I guess its safe to assume he has no choice but to return if the staff and admin let him. He already suited up and played in one game so even if he didn't play another game this season and transferred, he'll lose his last year of eligibility.

If he returns, I hope he doesn't half a** his play because he per-maturely checked out. Instead, I hope he realizes this is his last chance to prove himself as the the NBA player that he thinks he is and go into Beast mode.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
No reason to assume that when (if?) JA returns and IF he is healthy, he will half a** it.