Jon Rothstein at Mason today

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I start to get excited for the season reading his stuff, then I remember Rothstein's reputation for ignoring negatives.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I start to get excited for the season reading his stuff, then I remember Rothstein's reputation for ignoring negatives.

If you follow him closely, you'd know that's not true. He often talks about teams lacking depth or needing to fill voids at certain positions. He might not be as critical of Mason as you want him to be, but I've never known him to pull punches.

That said, he does tend to get some facts wrong and he resorts to hyperbole way too often. If memory serves me, he's been raving about Copes for the past four years. I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully he's finally right this year.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe its bc we have no negatives at this point. A bunch of lean 6'8 guys standing around get JR excited.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is he saying our offense is stagnant?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is he saying our offense is stagnant?

I know you prefer to make speeches rather than further any dialogue around here, but I'll play along before you derail yet another thread. The best chance this year's team has to win games is through our defense.

It's no secret our perimeter shooting is limited outside of Holloway (Gray has not shown he can score consistently), so we will need use our size, athleticism and defense to generate points in the half-court and in the open court. Shooting guard is by far the weakest part of our roster.

I hope Rothstein is right about us playing a lot of zone, because I really think that's where our length at the 3, 4 and 5 can create some turnovers (especially with guys like Thompson and Porter coming off the bench). Where we are sorely lacking length is in the starting backcourt with Moore and Holloway. We obviously get a lot bigger when Gray, Jackson and Lockett enter the game.

Last edited:

Afton Mtn Patriot

Preferred Walk-On
Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein · 48m
Early prediction on George Mason starting five --- Marquis Moore, Patrick Holloway, Jalen Jenkins, Julian Royal, Erik Copes....

I really hope this is not the starting lineup that trots out on opening night. Moore and Holloway should definitely be our starting backcourt. I really think Jenkins would be better off playing the 4 and Gray should be our 3. We don't need a lineup filled with big guys that can't handle the ball. We need ball handlers and shooters on the floor. At the 5, I'm fine with Copes, Royal, or Thompson.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Dont worry Tom, Jackson is gonna be a big surprise this year at PG. Also, By mid year we will be doing more defensively with traps in half court. Dont expect any full court presses unless its late game stuff. Trust me. May not equal more wins though.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
GS, I agree with you about it not equating to a lot more wins. The games we do win, though, will have to be through our defense. That is one reason I disagree with Afton Mountain Patriot about the starting lineup. Gray might be able to score a few more points, but we already have two liabilities in the backcourt with Moore and Holloway in terms of their size.

Copes, Jenkins and Royal give us good size in the post when we go zone, and Jenkins and Royal can also handle their own with a wing on the perimeter should we decide to play man-to-man. I see Gray spelling Holloway at the 2, Jackson and Edwards behind Moore at PG, Lockett and Mayimba backing up Jenkins at the 3, and Marko, Thompson and Porter providing depth behind Royal and Copes.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein · 48m
Early prediction on George Mason starting five --- Marquis Moore, Patrick Holloway, Jalen Jenkins, Julian Royal, Erik Copes....

I really hope this is not the starting lineup that trots out on opening night. Moore and Holloway should definitely be our starting backcourt. I really think Jenkins would be better off playing the 4 and Gray should be our 3. We don't need a lineup filled with big guys that can't handle the ball. We need ball handlers and shooters on the floor. At the 5, I'm fine with Copes, Royal, or Thompson.

I could be wrong, but this post seems to be Exhibit A for why GS has spent the better part of the last 2 years hammering Hewitt for the way he has put together our roster.

It's like a puzzle with a lot of pretty attractive pieces when they're all laid out on a table, but the problem is that none of them fit together.

Even though JJ and Royal are 2 of our 5 most talented players, can we win with both in the same lineup? Can either handle/shoot the ball well enough to be effective at the 3? Or should Gray start alongside one or the other to give us a true wing player at that spot?

Likewise, we need Pat in the lineup because he's our only proven outside threat, but he lacks length and is a liability on defense -- which will, as many have pointed out, have to be our calling card this season.

We certainly don't lack for talent or athleticism. This team is probably going to be as close as we've ever come to putting somebody on Dick Vitale's All-Airport Team -- you know, guys who look great walking through the airport -- but who knows if the athletes will ever become an effective team?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · 22s
George Mason's size and length is beyond staggering. Patriots have six guys over 6-8. Opponents should expect to see plenty of zone.

Actually, our official roster lists only 5 guys at 6-8 or taller: Thompson, Porter, Copes, Marko and Royal.

But his point is still valid. 10 of 13 scholarship players are 6-5 or taller, 11 of 15 including walk-ons.

It's by far the tallest, most athletic team we've ever had.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If we are most athletic team ever, wouldn't we want to press more and run for easy lay ups? I'm confused why Rothstein suggests we will play mainly zone and grind out games? That was really my question before I got accused of derailing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If we are most athletic team ever, wouldn't we want to press more and run for easy lay ups? I'm confused why Rothstein suggests we will play mainly zone and grind out games? That was really my question before I got accused of derailing.

He seemingly imagines us to be a big team that will rely mostly on throwing it into the paint, rebounding well on both ends and trying to grind out ugly wins.

I don't think any of that is going to happen. But then, who knows?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If we were Wisconsin or UVA, I would understand that. But our offense is like Princeton on opposite day. And our roster looks like the running rebels. So count me in as perplexed since April 2011.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If we are most athletic team ever, wouldn't we want to press more and run for easy lay ups? .

I would hope we would play a lot of zone and also press. With a lot of height and athletic ability, we should be able to generate some turnovers and run on some teams. That would also offset any issues we have in the half court, which I anticipate with a less-than-stellar backcourt.

I agree with Jim that the criticism about our PG situation has been way overblown, because I also think Moore will be a 3-year starter. My main issue with Hewitt is his failure to recruit more shooting guards. In fact, the only proven guy we currently have on the roster is Holloway, and he will be a marked man. Hewitt said Gray will get a lot of playing time this year, but that's a big leap for a kid who has been in the doghouse for the last three years.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I would hope we would play a lot of zone and also press. With a lot of height and athletic ability, we should be able to generate some turnovers and run on some teams. That would also offset any issues we have in the half court, which I anticipate with a less-than-stellar backcourt.

I agree with Jim that the criticism about our PG situation has been way overblown, because I also think Moore will be a 3-year starter. My main issue with Hewitt is his failure to recruit more shooting guards. In fact, the only proven guy we currently have on the roster is Holloway, and he will be a marked man. Hewitt said Gray will get a lot of playing time this year, but that's a big leap for a kid who has been in the doghouse for the last three years.

I've been saying it since he signed, and I still believe it: Mayimba eventually is going to get a lot of run at the SG spot.

The biggest thing is he's quick enough to defend the 2. He's also an underrated shooter, and we all know he's an athletic freak. Once he improves his handle, you won't be able to keep him off the floor.

I think Hewitt just confuses some of our posters because we're not used to having a 6-6 PG (Jackson) or a 6-7 SG (Mayimba), so people automatically assume it's not gonna work out.

For now, I figure VG will back up Pat and Mayimba will get his minutes at the 3.