Job Announcement for Mason's Athletic Director

Do we really think Cabrera is the one making this call or is he the rubber stamp? I'm sure the guy/gal we hire will be well qualified.

100% One could argue his entire Presidency could be defined by this hiring. If our Athletics fail, our name brand will diminish, and like it or not, the value of our degree will lesson. He desperately needs to hire a tactician who can network with the local Government Contractors for Advertising and Endorsements as well as be savvy enough not to hire re-tread coaches.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
In my mind, the presser goes like this . . .

Bad a** New AD, "My job is clear. It is to clean up the dumpster fire that Tom "Dumb a**" O'Connor made and to restore the men's basketball program to a program even those whinny a** bitch posters on Masonhoops will be proud of. I want to make it very clear that Hewitt is my coach . . . until he isn't. (Calls him up.) You are fired. Now get the hell out of here."

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm fairly certain there is a committee made up of some staff, some boosters and others who are holding the ball on this. Cuts have already been made and they've narrowed it down to a manageable number of candidates. No doubt Cabrera is going to be involved and at the end it's his call, but I'm not so sure he's viewing this has his presidency-defining moment.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm fairly certain there is a committee made up of some staff, some boosters and others who are holding the ball on this. Cuts have already been made and they've narrowed it down to a manageable number of candidates. No doubt Cabrera is going to be involved and at the end it's his call, but I'm not so sure he's viewing this has his presidency-defining moment.

I would hope not. The AD hire is an important one for athletics department, but in the grand scheme of the university's growth and development it's not the make or beak that P8 thinks it is (come off the cliff there p8)

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I hope we are pursuing guys that are such up and comers that we have to sell the job to them, not the other way around.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I would hope not. The AD hire is an important one for athletics department, but in the grand scheme of the university's growth and development it's not the make or beak that P8 thinks it is (come off the cliff there p8)

The Provost hire to replace Peter Stearns, which was just made a few weeks back, is the chief "internal" person at Mason and clearly is more important than the AD. Virtually EVERYONE on campus ultimately reports to the Provost. Even though he hasn't taken office yet, I would assume he would be consulted on the AD hire.

Hopefully we'll get to see a list of finalists at some point so we can fairly assess whether they make a good hire. Is there a Virginia law or anything that would allow us to know the pool of candidates? Anyone?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I would like to recommend people listen to what 99 is saying.

Committee. Sources. Diversity.

Ugh.

There is a Search Committee in place, but I do not know who is on it.

While I have no inside information on how the search will be conducted, many academic searches have the finalists (usually 3) come to campus for meetings. Names and times for the open meetings are announced a week or so before to faculty & staff.

Of course AD searches could be different. Clearly searches for basketball coaches are not done in such a transparent way (nor was the President's search that yielded Cabrera. At that level it's argued that no candidate wants to be exposed as not getting hired for the position).

Clearly there may be some on the board who have sources who know more than this.