Job Announcement for Mason's Athletic Director

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Get ready for Kelly Mehrtens to be hired

"Ensure that Intercollegiate Athletics has a highly competent and diverse coaching, administrative, and support staff consistent with the university mission"

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Just throwing it out there, is it possible they promote someone from within, but have to put the announcement out there just like any other job and do interviews?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just throwing it out there, is it possible they promote someone from within, but have to put the announcement out there just like any other job and do interviews?

With State schools they have to have a job req out for a certain period of time (30 days? I think?). Internal candidates probably have to apply through the link.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Now I know why Larranaga left, the job doesn't require the ability to "retain" outstanding coaches..."

Once a coach wants to leave, he's gone. Just look at Marquette or Butler. We had no chance at keeping L once he made that call, he was already out the door.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
If there is an official announcement of the opening, then I would assume that a Search Committee would have been formed---in my experience, the people named to the Search Committee are typically the ones writing the announcement. Has anybody heard who is on the committee? If people with Patriot Club connections want to influence the process they should be bending the ears of those on the committee.

MasonCrew

Starter
The ultimate slight Coach L could pull on TOC, would be to come back to Mason and coach for less that he was offered.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I checked out Parker's Website -- It's hard to believe you can be considered a top-end Exec Search firm for colleges & universities when 11 of your 14 employees (or at least those listed on your website) have degrees from the same university (UGA). So much for diversity or, more importantly, giving the appearance that you are highly skilled at scouring the planet for top talent.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Once a coach wants to leave, he's gone. Just look at Marquette or Butler. We had no chance at keeping L once he made that call, he was already out the door.

Just my opinion, but the fact that Larranaga didn't bolt immediately after the Final Four indicates that the ball was in Mason's court as far as him coming or going. If they waited until he was about to jump on a plane to Miami to make a counter-offer, then I don't think they were taking him leaving seriously enough. TOC & company thought GMU hoops wouldn't miss a beat if a "name" like Hewitt was hired. They were wrong, wrong, wrong,

Yossarian

Sixth Man
I hate the fact that our men's basketball program is in such shambles that the search for a new AD resembles a want ad for a fry cook while we find ourselves discussing, yawn, Larranaga.

Oh, wait- wrong thread. My mistake.:yawn:

Perhaps L would come back if we named him hybrid AD/coach in a Barry Alvarez type role.

The vacancy did not say specifically "Chris Jollay please don't apply" I take it? Good.