Is Wednesday night the biggest game in Patriot Center history?

GMURaider

Sixth Man
1. Is this the highest ranked team we have ever played at the Patriot Center?
2. Is this the biggest game we have ever played at the Patriot Center?

Perhaps, some of the older fans would know the answers?

gmu05

Starter
How is it a big game? GMU currently has a losing record. Ranked opponents have played at the Patriot Center before.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
How is it a big game? GMU currently has a losing record. Ranked opponents have played at the Patriot Center before.

Any idea when the last ranked opponent came into the PC? I'm interested to know when and who and can't remember from my 10 years of fandom of any ranked teams.

Also, I don't think its the biggest, you can argue the 2006 first place CAA game against UNCW was bigger, or even the vcu home game in 2012 was bigger since those were both for first place.

Or even the two NIT home games in 2004..I'm sure theres others that can be thought of as well.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Definitely not the biggest game in Patriot Center history considering where we are right now. I would assume UMass is coming in as one of, if not the highest, ranked opponent in Patriot Center history.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Fair point in terms of our current record. Games tend to be for bigger stakes when both teams have winning records.

The ESPN2 game against vcu comes to mind as well.

However, I'm just really curious if this is the highest ranked opponent we have played to date.

Any idea when the last ranked opponent came into the PC? I'm interested to know when and who and can't remember from my 10 years of fandom of any ranked teams.

Also, I don't think its the biggest, you can argue the 2006 first place CAA game against UNCW was bigger, or even the vcu home game in 2012 was bigger since those were both for first place.

Or even the two NIT home games in 2004..I'm sure theres others that can be thought of as well.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Why? There is nothing on the line for either team. Also, although Colorado is from a power conference, they were a wasteland when it came to basketball and not very good.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The 1986 CAA Tournament title game at the Patriot Center; us vs a David Robinson lead Navy team. I'd have to rank that as the biggest game in the history of the building given the winner got a trip to the NCAAs. Navy won 72-61.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
The 1986 CAA Tournament title game at the Patriot Center; us vs a David Robinson lead Navy team. I'd have to rank that as the biggest game in the history of the building given the winner got a trip to the NCAAs. Navy won 72-61.

Nice pull.

MasonCrew

Starter
OP, I'm honestly curious as to what you were thinking when you decided that making this thread would be a good idea.

1. I'm not sure, but it looks like G'town was ranked 6th when they visited.

2. Absolutely not. Any game late in the year with CAA/NCAA implications on the line would be bigger. Pretty much any game against JMU/vcu/ODU was bigger than this game.

I will say this game is a nice reminder of where Mason has come despite this year's shadow (and likely next years, too). It is nice playing in a league where ranked opponents will be annual visitors.

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
I honestly dont understand the question. A game that has literally no implications to us in the midst of a struggling season, yes Umass is ranked and in conference. That is about all this game has going for it.

Id equate this to something that may be familiar to you....is the Broncos coming to the Coliseum and waxing the Raiders the biggest game in the history of that God forsaken stadium?