Is Wednesday night the biggest game in Patriot Center history?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Easy.

Up 20 on American at halftime.

Outscored by 40 in the 2nd half.

Lost by 20 to American.

There are very few, if any, other contenders.

The loss to Fairfield comes to mind. I think we were up by 27 in the second half at one point.

1. Is this the highest ranked team we have ever played at the Patriot Center?
2. Is this the biggest game we have ever played at the Patriot Center?

Perhaps, some of the older fans would know the answers?

I'll just join the others in saying the other team's rank might drag in a few more fans just to see them, but it doesn't mean much beyond that if there's nothing more on the line.

I will agree, though, that if GMU upsets UMass and it's the beginning of some kind of 'miracle season,' then indeed it will have turned out to be a 'big game.' But -- well -- let's just say that remains to be seen.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The 2010 CIT is the biggest choke job in Patriot Center history.

Yeah, but who cares about the CIT? Nobody. GMU probably had more casual ball fans tuning into them tonight since they last played in the tourney. It's bigger than the lousy CIT loss for that reason. These casual fans got to see the perfect summary of what GMU bball has become these days.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Losing to TOW last season in OT after beating them umpteen times in a row was a bad one.

MasonCrew

Starter
Anyone else notice a common thread between the "biggest choke job" losses mentioned.

You can also throw in USF, NU (in Richmond), and pretty much every game.

The predictable collapse is becoming too much.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Anyone else notice a common thread between the "biggest choke job" losses mentioned.

You can also throw in USF, NU (in Richmond), and pretty much every game.

The predictable collapse is becoming too much.

The Fairfield and NU home games were under L if you were thinking they were all our current coach's fault.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If we are talking about disappointing losses, how about falling to Wichita State in front of 10,000 fans in our 2006 home opener? Losing three seniors from the Final 4 team was tough, but we still had Thomas, Campbell, JV, Gabe , Carter and two highly-regarded JUCO transfers (Dre Smith and Monroe). That game was a harbinger for for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we are talking about disappointing losses, how about falling to Wichita State in from of 10,000 fans in our 2006 home opener? Losing three seniors from the Final 4 team was tough, but we still had Thomas, Campbell, JV, Gabe , Carter and two highly-regarded JUCO transfers (Dre Smith and Monroe). That game was a harbinger for for the rest of the season.

We led at halftime too. And let their center carve us up in the second half.

No what's worse that year was the loss at home to W&M where we were out hustled and out rebounded. I was sickened after that game.

MasonCrew

Starter
The Fairfield and NU home games were under L if you were thinking they were all our current coach's fault.

Ah you're right. I was drunk last night when I wrote that; however, since I didn't specify, I can change it to just be whatever I want.

I was talking about NU in Richmond last year, though.