Hewitt on the Mike and Mike show at 8 AM

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Are they doing a segment on blowing leads and brought Paul on for an expert opinion?

That show makes my ears bleed, so I will not be tuning in.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He was on to respond to Jeff Van Gundy's statements yesterday that there should be a separate curriculum in college for guys who want to go to the NBA. He was basically insinuating that some guys just aren't meant to be in college and shouldn't be forced to take college classes. Hewitt and JVG apparently go back a long way and are friends from NYC and Hewitt thoroughly disagreed with him.

Hewitt said that the players JVG is talking about are few and far between and that the majority of guys thrive under the current system. He said he played the clip of JVG yesterday for our team and guys were actually offended. As if to say "Is this what people think of us?". Apparently the most vocal were Johnnie and Marko in their disagreement. Marko coming from the perspective of having friends who went the all sports route in Serbia who are now not playing anymore and can't find jobs. He said they told him he made the right decision to go the US to play in college and get an education. Johnnie was just angry at the perception of the general stereotype.

I must say as someone who has been a vocal critic of Hewitt's, he made a great argument. He also made our players look like mature, well rounded individuals. it was a great representation of the program. Now, if we could just get the winning games part of it.....

After hearing that whole segment, I'm convinced Hewitt would be great at TV analysis, administration (maybe an AD/NCAA position) and several other things. Just not so much at coaching.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I must say as someone who has been a vocal critic of Hewitt's, he made a great argument. He also made our players look like mature, well rounded individuals. it was a great representation of the program. Now, if we could just get the winning games part of it.....

I missed his appearance on the Mike & Mike, but I'm not surprised that he impressed you. Nor, am I surprised that Merten and O'Connor believed that he was the most highly qualified candidate for the Mason job. I know that if I were in their shoes I would have been highly impressed with his intelligence, integrity, emphasis on academics, basketball success, and his non-basketball activities (e.g., trustee at his alma mater, charitable work, etc.).

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I am proud of our players. Sure the losses are frustrating but the way they have not given up when it would have been easy says a lot about their character. Their reaction to this issue just adds to how impressed I am with these guys as good representatives of our school. Hewitt too. I really believe he is a good guy.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hewitt too. I really believe he is a good guy.

I think this is why I have rooted so hard for him to succeed. I realize he has many faults as a coach, but he's always been a great representative of our school and he is constantly stressing academics and discipline.

I know a coach is ultimately and justifiably judged on wins and losses, but it's tough not to pull for a guy whose priorities are in the right place. If things don't work out in coaching, I agree with lawdog that he could have a bright future in broadcasting.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Hewitt would excel as a realtor or car salesman. Seems to have the traits that would work well with those kinds of sales.

No matter how bad of a coach he is, he isnt the type that would give the public a wrong image so thats good for us in regards to image. But personally I dont care if my coach is the spawn of satan, a terrorist or a hot head and intense.....just win baby.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hewitt would excel as a realtor or car salesman. Seems to have the traits that would work well with those kinds of sales.

Couldn't disagree more on the car salesman analogy. That implies he's shady and slimy. He'd be far too honest and ethical to ever succeed in that profession.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He said a college palyer should be allowedto put his name in draft one time with the option to come back to school. Don't guys already do this by not signing with an agent beforehand?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
.... But personally I dont care if my coach is the spawn of satan, a terrorist or a hot head and intense.....just win baby.

I hope that you really aren't serious here. Head coaches particularly are in position to be ambassadors of the institution and as such are representatives of what the fan base is like. Yes, it's good to win but not at any cost, less we pay an ethical and public relations price.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Couldn't disagree more on the car salesman analogy. That implies he's shady and slimy. He'd be far too honest and ethical to ever succeed in that profession.

LOL I dont know where you buy your cars at, but most the salesman I deal with are usually really nice people. I wasnt implying he was slimy or unethical at all....Granted they are salesman and you should understand that.....but they are always nice and engaging people.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I hope that you really aren't serious here. Head coaches particularly are in position to be ambassadors of the institution and as such are representatives of what the fan base is like. Yes, it's good to win but not at any cost, less we pay an ethical and public relations price.

I am serious. I dont think that a Bill Belicheck, Jim Harbaugh, etc type coach is that bad to have at all...nor represent your program. Im not advocating for paying guys to come or any of that, but I sure would take a prickly character that knows how to coach and win over a guy like Hewitt 100%.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
LOL I dont know where you buy your cars at, but most the salesman I deal with are usually really nice people.

I was more referring to the negative connotation when people say somebody is "like a used car salesman." I think of guys like Frank Martin and Frank Haith in that regard. I'm sure there are a lot of folks in that profession who are ethical.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
He said a college palyer should be allowedto put his name in draft one time with the option to come back to school. Don't guys already do this by not signing with an agent beforehand?

I assume that he's proposing a rule similar to baseball where a college basketball player could be drafted by the NBA, but decide not to sign and remain in school and continue his eligibility.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I assume that he's proposing a rule similar to baseball where a college basketball player could be drafted by the NBA, but decide not to sign and remain in school and continue his eligibility.
I like the baseball rule where a high school senior can get drafted, not sign and still go to college (so long as they don't hire an agent). Then they player is required to stay in school for 3 years before being draft eligible again. This rule works because MLB has a true minor league system. The D League could be that where the old CBA couldn't become one.

sigmanorm

Starter
Agree here gmutom. When I have talked to him in the past about the problems with the program he has been pretty open admitting that the coaching staff and players aren't on the same page in many cases and that sometimes convincing an 18 year old to listen is harder than you think.

sigmanorm

Starter
With only 2 rounds in the NBA draft I am not sure that would not work. Teams would essentially waste a draft pick. Of course they sometimes do that intentionally with overseas players to buy a year or two on the salary, but they retain the rights for some time. Baseball has so many rounds of picks that you can bury a pick late.