Hewitt on the Mike and Mike show at 8 AM

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I've actually seen more flexibility from Hewitt this season than I ever expected when he was hired.

It took him longer to recognize our obvious defensive weaknesses than I would've liked, but he's at least been willing to play zone against several A-10 teams. He abandons it quicker than I'd like sometimes, but at least he's willing to try it.

He's also scrapped (for the most part) our "press" ... again recognizing that we just don't have the horses to press effectively without giving up layups and dunks.

And the supposed "up tempo" offense he talked about often after being hired has been replaced by an attack that can get out and run on rare occasions, but mostly relies on scoring in the halfcourt set.

So I don't know that I would trace our problems over the past 3 seasons to his stubbornness. I think he is trying to do some different things, many of which obviously go against his nature and the way he thinks successful teams are built.

I just don't think the guy is a very effective coach.

Regardless of their experience level, his players far too often look like they have no clue what he wants them to do or where they're supposed to be on the court. It generally takes his teams far too long to develop offensive cohesiveness, our defense is basically a sieve, and repeated failure in critical late-game situations has led to half a dozen soul-crushing losses.

Why that disconnect exists, I have no idea, but we have countless examples over the past 3 seasons to show that it does.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
49-You hit the nail on the head with what my point was. Not saying it is a conspiracy or anything, I am just impressed with how he seems to be able to make illogical arguments, and even get people to make very illogical arguments on his behalf. The whole "these are 18 year old kids" thing is a complete crock. They are, but so are the kids on everyone else's team.

Jim-I agree with you that he has changed things up more than I would have ever expected. And, as you point out he does not seem to be able to coach them in the new aspects of our game any better than the old aspects. The fact that he uses the young argument, or they are kids that won't listen tells me he needs to take a much more fundamental approach to his coaching.

Anyone with kids knows that you have to drill things in to them to get them to do things they might normally not be inclined to listen about. I have had issues with my kids getting ready and into the car when it is time to go somewhere. It got so bad one day going to a Mason game that I left the house without them. So, one Saturday morning, I spent their entire morning running "getting ready to go" drills. Every few minutes, I would say it is time to go and they had to gather their things, get their shoes and jacket on and get in the car. Well, they are much better at getting ready and into the car now. They can do it without thinking. I'll tell you this, they don't want to have to waste another Saturday practicing that again.

I would make a horrible coach for many reasons, but if even I understand these basics, you would think someone who has spent their entire career doing it would understand that concept. It is as if Hewitt wants to tell them how to do something and then expects them to be able to do it. We don't do the basics well, so we need to drill those into the ground until they are second nature before moving onto Rome Chop style complexity.

If we boxed out properly when rebounding and just got out muscled, I would not have a problem. That would point to not having competitive personnel. But, we don't seem to try to box out regularly. If we ran the zone well (and I mean being in the correct position, not necessarily winning) and still got beat because the other team drained 3's on us or we just were not fast enough, then I would not have a problem. But we don't seem to be doing basics well. Those are things that could be fixed with the right kind of practicing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I could be totally off-base about this, but I compare Hewitt to a piano teacher I had when I was a kid.

For whatever reason, my mom insisted that I was going to learn to play the piano when I was 9 years old. I didn't really have any interest in it, but she insisted and that was that.

Well, the lady I worked with had all kinds of degrees, graduated from Juilliard and all that, but she had absolutely no clue how to transfer her elite-level knowledge to a kid who was just starting out.

It was a disaster. She simply couldn't understand why I had a hard time grasping concepts that to her were absolutely elementary. We both wound up totally frustrated and I finally convinced my mom to let me quit after about 2 months of hell.

Long story short, I believe that Hewitt is a very smart man and knows a lot about basketball. But based on how long it has taken many of his teams (both at GT and Mason) to get on the same page and start playing any semblance of cohesive basketball, I have to conclude he just isn't very good at conveying his knowledge in a clear, understandable way to young men of varying skill levels.

His most successful teams have always been stocked with elite-level talent (for the respective leagues in which they competed). When the talent is roughly equal or worse, he doesn't seem capable of "coaching up" a team to play better than the sum of its parts. That's a big problem.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I've actually seen more flexibility from Hewitt this season than I ever expected when he was hired.

Jim, it's called self preservation. Hewitt knows full well his days are numbered if he doesn't start winning, so he realizes he has to adapt based on his personnel rather than expecting his personnel to always fit his vision. It is encouraging that he is tightening up his rotation and showing some signs of flexibility.

I like P49's Mike Singletary example of run, run, run, punt, because it's proof that some coaches can't get out of their own way. If Hewitt is brought back another year, we're going to find out how much more he is willing to change his ways — because his current ways are obviously not working in thew win-loss columns.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Thats what I see too Tom. We all can see the changes Hewitt has made recently, but it just feels too little too late and that its based off being up against a hard situation.

Say he somehow gets an extension, I would more than likely assume that he will go back and revert to his "system". Given the track record, I just dont think he will bail and permanently adapt and change all of the sudden.

A

AAUMAN

Spectator
92! I concur with you 100% regarding to your assessment on PH but my question is where does this bball program go regarding to moving forward for next year(2014-2015) because this bball program can't go into next season with so much uncertainty lingering over this bball program.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Say he somehow gets an extension, I would more than likely assume that he will go back and revert to his "system".

The main difference if he does revert, I'm assuming, is because he recruited this incoming class because they better fit his system (which requires better athletes). If Moore continues to develop his PG skills, I could see us being a more uptempo and pressing team with athletic guys like Jenkins, Royal, Lockett, Mayimba and possibly Gray (if he returns).

Unless we bring in another shooter — which we need desperately with Wright and Allen both graduating — we will need to run as much as possible, because I don't see our backcourt scoring a ton in our half-court sets. Lockett is great at getting up and down the court and getting to the basket (as is Mayimba) but he he lacks the consistent outside shot to fill that void.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
92! I concur with you 100% regarding to your assessment on PH but my question is where does this bball program go regarding to moving forward for next year(2014-2015) because this bball program can't go into next season with so much uncertainty lingering over this bball program.
I think we're all stuck for 1 more year. I just don't see much improvement with such an inexperienced team. After that, if TOC is gone, then push the reset button on the whole program.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

I frankly have no clue. My first inclination (since the buyout money isn't coming out of my pocket) is to let him go after this season, because we're not going to be very good next season anyhow and the longer we wait to make a change, the longer it takes to get back on a winning track.

But there are no easy ways out of this mess. I have a bad feeling that it's going to be ugly and painful no matter what -- that's usually what happens when you take a program/fan base that have grown accustomed to winning and ride it to the cellar with a bad hire.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The money is there to fire him after this season. But ToC isnt going to do it. Caberrea probably wont bc he isnt expierenced enough in college athletics to make such a decsion. So bend over and enjoy the pain for the next 4 or more years.

masonjoe

Starter
The money is there to fire him after this season. But ToC isnt going to do it. Caberrea probably wont bc he isnt expierenced enough in college athletics to make such a decsion. So bend over and enjoy the pain for the next 4 or more years.

That is true but the going trend these days is that college presidents are more and more involved in the AD then ever before.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Add 3 years to Hewitts last full season. AND a big assumption is we make the right hire. So 4 yrs could be on the low side.

Well, we could always sign another George Evans. That would certainly speed the rebuilding process.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
That is true but the going trend these days is that college presidents are more and more involved in the AD then ever before.

Id say this is mostly true for football schools since most football programs have negative balance sheets.

R

rockster

Spectator
a lot of good comments on the Hewitt situation. I tend to believe that we should move on and just bite the bullet. Look the guy is a sm00th talker, notice how none of the post game reporters ever ask him the hard questions. I really think the guy intimidates the reporters. He constantly gives the same ole repetitive comments - give the other team credit, they played well.. DUH- yeah, every game, every team.
Coach, that's not good enough, we need results and respect. So what is it that I see game after game.

Ol'e Defense, notice how none of the big men ever take any charges. Neither, Copes, Marco, or J. Williams have learned the art of taking a charge. They just let opposing guards just waltz down the lane. That's coaching.

No boxing out, notice how we never get a clean rebound, its always a struggle. I believe that's all coaching. Back to basics.

where are the "give and go" passes. Very rarely see that concept. It's coaching.

Why do we constantly let opposing teams beat us with open threes, or jump shots? Did you notice the tenacious defense St. Louis plays. Whether its zone or man to man, know where your supposed to be. That's coaching.

Can a coach teach Marquis Moore how to shoot a jump shot. His form is poor. Opposing teams let him go for the most part knowing he isn't going to shoot. How about some coaching.

Well, I have more examples but you get the point. Quite frankly, I agree he must know a lot about the game, he just has either lost the fire or his head is elsewhere.
Nevertheless, I just think a change is in order. Just one persons opinion.

Dawgs99

Starter

I love how you act like you know the inner workings of the A.D. How do you know the money is there for a buy out? Did you ask TOC? Also tired of hearing the Cabrerra doesn't know athletics arguement as to why he might shy away from a touh decision. Cabrera was in office for a short time before he green lit the move to the A10, why would he shy away from canning a coach who is slowly destroying Mason's marquee sport? Also, theres no chance Hewitt is here for 5 more years unless we go dancing.....book it. Your doom and gloom schtick is really growing tiresome.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
a lot of good comments on the Hewitt situation. I tend to believe that we should move on and just bite the bullet. Look the guy is a sm00th talker, notice how none of the post game reporters ever ask him the hard questions. I really think the guy intimidates the reporters. He constantly gives the same ole repetitive comments - give the other team credit, they played well.. DUH- yeah, every game, every team.
Coach, that's not good enough, we need results and respect. So what is it that I see game after game.

Who are the reporters that are asking questions? You don't see any of the local news stations with people in there. I think if they were, they wouldn't be afraid of asking what the fans really want to know.

masonjoe

Starter
Who are the reporters that are asking questions? You don't see any of the local news stations with people in there. I think if they were, they wouldn't be afraid of asking what the fans really want to know.

The reporters don't care because it's George Mason, how much of their reader base cares about the issue? Step outside this forum for a second, it's hardly a regional buzzing issue.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
The reporters don't care because it's George Mason, how much of their reader base cares about the issue? Step outside this forum for a second, it's hardly a regional buzzing issue.

You would think someone like Dianna Russini who graduated from Mason would make an exception from time to time.