Goodbye Tyler Kolek

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Hancock once told me that if L had stayed, he would have stayed. You can choose not to believe him if you want, but I've never seen it "documented" that he would have left anyway.

"That netted him a D1 scholarship to George Mason, where Hancock hit a three-point shot two years ago that propelled his team to a postseason win. That season Mason also had the longest winning streak in the country. But when the head coach that recruited him, Jim Larranaga, left for Miami, Hancock – who has said he would have stayed at George Mason if Larranaga had stayed put – decided to look around instead. 'I at least needed to look at my options,' Hancock recalls of that time period.

It didn’t hurt that his former coach at Hargrave, Kevin Keatts, was now an assistant at Louisville and helped recruit him."

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Then why didn’t he go with coach L to Miami?

There could be millions of reasons.

Perhaps he simply wanted to explore his options and ended up being persuaded by the allure of Pitino’s coaching.

Additionally, Louisville almost guarantees a tournament appearance every year.

Following Coach L to a bottom-feeder ACC team like Miami would have been a risky move. It’s uncertain if Coach L even offered him a spot at Miami.

However, if Mason had retained Coach L, with a preseason top 25 team returning, the odds of making a successful run were quite high.

It’s uncertain whether Luke would have even considered exploring other options if Coach hadn’t left.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Perhaps he simply wanted to explore his options and ended up being persuaded by the allure of Pitino’s coaching.

Following Coach L to a bottom-feeder ACC team like Miami would have been a risky move. It’s uncertain if Coach L even offered him a spot at Miami.

However, if Mason had retained Coach L, with a preseason top 25 team returning, the odds of making a successful run were quite high.

It’s uncertain whether Luke would have even considered exploring other options if Coach hadn’t left.
Yes.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

From what I could tell on the rosters it looks like Coach L already had 11 of 13 scholarships filled when he walked into Miami. He needed a PG and took Shane Larkin, which seems to have worked out for him.

Such a different time, it’s almost unrecognizable.