Goodbye Ronald Polite

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is Davidson ever in the conversation for 3-4 star type players? Are they recruiting against other A-10 schools or just looking at a completely different pool than the rest of us (legit questions I do not know the answer to)?
other than them getting at least one international player per cycle I don't really have that information.

Kellan Grady is a 4 star that is as good as advertised they beat out Creighton, Northwestern, Richmond, URI, and Penn for him (was under recruited because of size and athleticism concerns)

I can't even find another scholarship offer for JAG who was the best player in A10 last year... foreign guy that McKillop has excelled at recruiting since I have followed A10

He won 2 star Luka Brajovick over Penn St, Purdue and Stanford and he is an absolute killer

Peyton Aldridge was recruited by Dayton and Princeton... he was obviously great.

there are more examples too if anyone even cares anymore

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Davidson and Bona recruit mostly only 2 stars as well. Why are there's panning out at a much higher clip than our 2 stars. They are getting guys to the NBA that had minimal scholarship offers... Schmidt and McKillop (answer is yes) that much better of a talent evaluator, scout, coach, etc than Paulsen?

I mean, the freaking Curry brothers were under recruited (imagine if Liberty had managed to keep Seth instead of Duke poaching him).

I think some of it maybe luck (did Paulsen find and coach up Muscala or did he luck into him?) Did McKillops find Steph and coach him up
Or did he luck into him? McKillops has been with Davidson since 1989. Almost all of his real success came when he recruited Steph Curry and the cache of having NBA’s best player come from your college. He made his first NIT in 5 seasons, his first NCAA in 9, his first postseason win in 16, his first NCAA win in 19 (with Steph Curry).

McKillops is a great coach, but he was given a lot of time to build a program and to figure things out.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So do you think we are 1 impact player away from being top 3 in the A-10? (legit question not trying to attack your opinion on it)

If Greene or one of last years freshman came back this season, and absolutely took a leap forward and put up 2-3rd team all a-10 type numbers and Kier kept up his averages +2-3 PPG, with no major injuries would we be a top 3 A-10 team?

vcu is going to be scary good next year, so we'd have to have a lot go right to beat them for the top spot. I think we could crack the top 4 if things go right, though. I think we have the potential to be a really good defensive team regardless of what happens, but shooting could be our Achilles heel, that's what we're going to need to crack the top 4.

IF Miller can play the 3 and flourish there his sophomore season, IF Mar looks more like his freshman self and less like his sophomore self, IF Greene becomes a consistent threat from 3, IF Calixte can at least shoot 55% from the FT line, IF Kier can improve the speed of his release (we already know he's deadly from mid-range and dangerous off the dribble), IF Boyd plays like he did before hurting his shooting wrist as our 6th man, we've got a chance for top 3-4. It's a lot of IFs to get right.

Edit: I'd like to amend my post, because there are other possible pathways: 1) JDS makes a big sophomore leap similar to Javon Greene, 2) AJ is given an opportunity to take minutes at the 4 if Mar is ineffective (would love to see this happen, because what we'd lose with Mar's savvy, we'd gain with AJ's aggressiveness, especially on the offensive glass), 3) Xavier Johnson is a day 1 contributor, 4) Jamal Hartwell continues to shoot an insane percentage from 3 (44.6% last year) and actually becomes a volume shooter.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I mean, the freaking Curry brothers were under recruited (imagine if Liberty had managed to keep Seth instead of Duke poaching him).

I think some of it maybe luck (did Paulsen find and coach up Muscala or did he luck into him?) Did McKillops find Steph and coach him up
Or did he luck into him? McKillops has been with Davidson since 1989. Almost all of his real success came when he recruited Steph Curry and the cache of having NBA’s best player come from your college. He made his first NIT in 5 seasons, his first NCAA in 9, his first postseason win in 16, his first NCAA win in 19 (with Steph Curry).

McKillops is a great coach, but he was given a lot of time to build a program and to figure things out.
Year 5 McKillop went to the NIT... We shall see how that holds up for our year 5

McKillop certainly has had some luck with recruits, but at some point if it were luck it would have to run out and it isn't. He consistently grabs 2 stars and turns them into gems. And he can out recruit great programs if he has to (see Grady and Aldridge)

Davidson has been in A-10 for 5 years. 1st, 6th (great A-10 year that saw them make NIT), 9th, 3rd, and 2nd and projected top 3 again this year...

FreeGunston12

All-American
the problem is they do find things kittens and rainbows.. the guys I argue with on here are the ones that are ecstatic about being 5-7 in the A-10 (Herndon) and guys that don't see a problem with recruiting non-A10 caliber players and then them not panning out (pretty much everyone else).

I bring statistics over why Paulsen is underwhelming and failing and I get called a troll and told to stop supporting the program

I bring statistics why our recruiting is underwhelming as well as player development and I get called a troll and told to stop supporting the program

A10 media outlets, Rothstein, all think we finish 8-10 next year.. I agree with them and I get called a troll and told to stop supporting the program

At some point you guys will look at statistics over fuzzy feelings inside your tummies about Paulsen...

We don't have to recruit at the level of Dayton to be a good A10 team.... but we damn sure shouldn't be at the level of GW and Fordham....

Lasalle's new coach would have been my dream hire here and he has pulled in 2 3 stars and a 4 star at one of the shittiest schools (facilities, city, area, program) in the A10... just watch in two seasons time about which program is better.. unfortunately it won't be us
Recruiting ratings aren’t so much “statistics” as they are a collection of other people’s opinions that are subjective and often wrong. However, I don’t have so much of a problem with what you’re saying . . . I do think Paulsen needs to recruit better (especially bigs). It’s the frequency and timing with which you post negative comments.

Criticizing our recruiting right after we sign a player is a bad look for our fan base. “Hey kid, welcome to Mason . . . we wish you had more stars and offers and don’t really believe in you”. It makes you (and therefore Mason fans ) look like a bunch of ungrateful, pessimistic assholes.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Recruiting ratings aren’t so much “statistics” as they are a collection of other people’s opinions that are subjective and often wrong. However, I don’t have so much of a problem with what you’re saying . . . I do think Paulsen needs to recruit better (especially bigs). It’s the frequency and timing with which you post negative comments.

Criticizing our recruiting right after we sign a player is a bad look for our fan base. “Hey kid welcome to Mason . . . we wish you had more stars and offers and don’t really believe in you”. It makes you (and therefore Mason fans ) look like a bunch of ungrateful, pessimistic a**holes.
never said that man.. I like Polite just like I liked XJ last year and JDS the season before recruiting wise. All I said was he needs to go sign a big worth a damn with our last scholarship. I shouldn't have been as neg about Oduro but damn people are so excited to have a kid from a top program like PVI that have never actually seen the kid play....

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
the problem is they do find things kittens and rainbows.. the guys I argue with on here are the ones that are ecstatic about being 5-7 in the A-10 (Herndon) and guys that don't see a problem with recruiting non-A10 caliber players and then them not panning out (pretty much everyone else).

I don't think that's true at all. I think you're either making a strawman argument.

But by all means, prove me wrong. Quote a single post of @Herndon being ecstatic about being 5-7 in the A-10. Or better yet, let's go to the source. Let's ask @Herndon if he's "ecstatic" about being 5-7 in the A-10.

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Paulsen has said many interviews that landing Muscala was the easiest recruit the land.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
As someone who has also gone on record that we need to up our caliber of recruits, I do really like Polite. He seems like one of those guys that all the local writers love and is on the rise... might have had more A10 type offers if he waited.

Also, after finishing the latest Last Chance U, I feel like there is something to be said for high caliber guys.

Now let’s go grab a big, strong, athletic big man!

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Paulsen has said many interviews that landing Muscala was the easiest recruit the land.

Paulsen has said in many interviews that landing Muscala was the easiest recruit to land.

Also, I strongly suspect this is fabricated bull$hit considering all the times your past "Paulsen said" quotes have turned out to be fabricated bull$hit.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We’d also have people in this board complaining we didn’t really beat anyone out to get him or that he was too skinny or not athletic enough and should probably red-shirt (he averaged 9.9 pts and 4.9 rebounds his freshman season).

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know the story of Muscala's recruitment. I do no recall Dave saying that he was "the easiest recruit to land."

Muscala signed on unofficial visit within DP first few months on the job. Paulsen never competed against other schools. To me that's an easy recruit to land.

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I know the story of Muscala's recruitment. I do no recall Dave saying that he was "the easiest recruit to land."
I remember DP talking about this at last year’s media day. Since the media day was aired on ESPN + I cannot send the video.

But this article kind of explains it. http://www.startribune.com/bucknell-s-muscala-mastered-little-things-then-got-big/199086851/

Muscala mailed 30 D1 schools a highlight tape. Few would have predicted the tall, skinny kid on that tape would blossom into one of college basketball's best players. Muscala earned third-team all-metro accolades at Roseville, but he wasn't recruited by Gophers coach Tubby Smith and attracted offers primarily from Ivy League schools and mid-major programs. Bucknell associate head coach Dane Fischer graduated from Rochester's John Marshall High and had heard good reviews on Muscala, so he flew to Indianapolis to evaluate him at an AAU tournament. Muscala was rail-thin at 6-9 and 200 pounds.

He had floppy hair and braces," Fischer said. "He looked like he was 14 years old.

Muscala found Bucknell's combination of basketball and academics appealing and committed on his unofficial visit, becoming one of coach Dave Paulsen's first recruits after he took over the program a few months earlier. He quickly became the face of their program.

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Ah....so when you butchered the English language again by typing

Paulsen has said many interviews

What you meant by that was it's your own unsubstantiated opinion

Muscala signed on unofficial visit within DP first few months on the job. Paulsen never competed against other schools. To me that's an easy recruit to land.

and then you immediately posted an article contradicting your new claim that Coach Paulsen "never competed against other schools" with a quote saying Muscala had multiple other offers

attracted offers primarily from Ivy League schools and mid-major programs

But why did you bold the part about his haircut and braces? That's just weird and creepy. Not as bad as stalking someone on FB and then posting photos of their home and their address on a sports message board but still creepy.

Hey @sleeperpick just want to remind you that this is your biggest fan right here based on post likes.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He had to compete with two Bay Area college schools — Cal Poly and Santa Clara — which had to be at least semi-appealing to a Minnesota kid (at least they would have been to me).

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ah....so when you butchered the English language again by typing

What you meant by that was it's your own unsubstantiated opinion

and then you immediately posted an article contradicting your new claim that Coach Paulsen "never competed against other schools" with a quote saying Muscala had multiple other offers

But why did you bold the part about his haircut and braces? That's just weird and creepy. Not as bad as stalking someone on FB and then posting photos of their home and their address on a sports message board but still creepy.

Hey @sleeperpick just want to remind you that this is your biggest fan right here based on post likes.
Not commenting any more about basketball until the season starts but I don't get the bullying you and others do to the kid over his incorrect usage of different words. he stated to the boards in the past why he may not be completely correct language wise in his posts. let it go... I don't think it's hurting you.

I know many members of this board and have enjoyed a beer with many face to face and have yet to meet the couple that always cry about my posts. I am very approachable even to those I disagree with. I would love to give you one of my tickets and watch a game with you and really understand why you think things are going in a better direction... you too @GMUgemini even though I understand you haven't been to the Pat Dome in a while..

I don't think Paulsen is a good recruiter and I don't think Paulsen is a good enough coach to make up for being a bad recruiter. I have attended 90% of home games in Paulsen's first 4 years and have travelled to more than a handful of away games.

I let the Hewitt years go and so should you guys who are so thrilled to be mediocre. As @Herndon and @GMUgemini keep saying "we live in the most talent rich basketball environment". Things should be better... We keep pointing to us getting top 5 last year.... That was a total let down. Paulsen screwed the pooch on Reuter, screwed the pooch on redshirting Miller (who was better than Mar the entire year), screwed the pooch on AJ, screwed the pooch on Otis (gotta take the kid out after 2 airballs and 3 TOs in a row) and screwed the pooch on Jaire (different sources will tell you different things but I trust mine).

TLDR sorry for being rude and hateful before but some of you guys live in Lala land and it bugs me.

See you in October