Goodbye Keyshawn Hall

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
iu

By George.

Starter
I told you everyone would be thrilled! Whoooo! Great Great Day in Mason history.

Beating out Georgetown, Louisville and other P5s for a recruit is a rarity for Mason … but perhaps that’ll be ancient history as well.
Although I think Hall is a great pull, that list can’t be that real. I know vcu was way more involved than any of the other 3 teams listed.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GMU Recruiting said on Thursdays Spaces that the team has been told that Ball will be here as a player and s sticking around.
You know, I’ve been really tough on CKE since he left. I honestly should be thanking him for leaving and making room for Tony Skinn.

I’m starting a campaign to get a bronze CKE statue (similar the Mason statue on the quad) in front of the Athletic Department’s administrative headquarters. And the plaque would read:

“I Quit” - Two Words that launched George Mason into a national Basketball Powerhouse

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You know, I’ve been really tough on CKE since he left. I honestly should be thanking him for leaving and making room for Tony Skinn.

I’m starting a campaign to get a bronze CKE statue (similar the Mason statue on the quad) in front of the Athletic Department’s administrative headquarters. And the plaque would read:

“I Quit” - Two Words that launched George Mason into a national Basketball Powerhouse
Let's win something first.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Although I think Hall is a great pull, that list can’t be that real. I know vcu was way more involved than any of the other 3 teams listed.
I felt confident he was coming to Fairfax. He gets to start and play major minutes. The other teams on the list couldn't offer him that opportunity.

I'm sure the calculus for guys like Hall is this:

1) Transfer to school like Mason where I am guaranteed to play starter minutes. If I blow up and average 17 and 8 and shoot 38% from deep, maybe...
2) Hit the portal again and see if a P5 school is ready to give me 25-28 mins. If not...
3) Return to Mason, put up 20 and 10 and hit that portal again.

Just the way things are. Congrats to Tony and staff, nonetheless. Maybe we win 25 games next year, get into the tournament, and guys decide to stick around? Winning will do that.

Real nice pieces. Now roll out the carpet for Austin Ball and another shooter.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I felt confident he was coming to Fairfax. He gets to start and play major minutes. The other teams on the list couldn't offer him that opportunity.

I'm sure the calculus for guys like Hall is this:

1) Transfer to school like Mason where I am guaranteed to play starter minutes. If I blow up and average 17 and 8 and shoot 38% from deep, maybe...
2) Hit the portal again and see if a P5 school is ready to give me 25-28 mins. If not...
3) Return to Mason, put up 20 and 10 and hit that portal again.

Just the way things are. Congrats to Tony and staff, nonetheless. Maybe we win 25 games next year, get into the tournament, and guys decide to stick around? Winning will do that.

Real nice pieces. Now roll out the carpet for Austin Ball and another shooter.
Fwiw, in order for Hall to transfer again without sitting out, he will need to graduate.

Mason32

Starter
Fwiw, in order for Hall to transfer again without sitting out, he will need to graduate.
How am I seeing these other guys that have played at 2 or 3 other programs without sitting? Does the rule change only affect players from a certain point?

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How am I seeing these other guys that have played at 2 or 3 other programs without sitting? Does the rule change only affect players from a certain point?
I could be wrong, but I believe the NCAA issued a 'clarification' or a change to the rule a month or so ago.

IIRC, the NCAA stipulated that from here on out (probably to take full effect next off-season), players can get a 1 transfer without having to sit out, but after that, they have to sit out a year. Grad transfers can still play immediately though as the transfer restrictions only apply to undergraduates.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
NCAA has given out waivers like candy in recent years. Remains to be seen if that continues … if not gonna be a bunch of dudes sitting out this season.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As others have pointed out the policy seems to be constructed out of Swiss cheese.

“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”

These seem like easy loopholes to walk through. Guys can just claim the school's not a great environment for their specific learning disability, or not supportive of their mental health, and voila!...waiver granted.

Reminds me of baseball's policy regarding PEDs. Adderall, which is prescribed for those with attention-deficit disorder, and heightens one's ability to concentrate, is a banned substance. Approximately 5% of the general population suffers from this condition, but something like ~15%+ of all professional baseball players have been granted waivers for Adderall.

Maybe the NCAA cracks down on waivers but I'm skeptical. It seems the players have a bit of wind at their back when it comes to freedom of movement, which puts the NCAA in a very difficult spot.

DRK331

Starter
Wins like Cornell will help with recruiting

I can see the coaching staff and Tony Skinn being like "Look at Keyshawn Hall. He played the entire game against Cornell, scored a career high 29 points, and we won the game. We can do the same thing with you. This is why you should go to George Mason"

Im sure the Cornell game would be used as an example to recruit the next big time scorer like a Darius Maddox or Keyshawn Hall type of player