Goodbye Keyshawn Hall

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That could certainly be the case but I’m just saying that with the right development he’s capable.
I agree. I think he needs a second year at the same school to really hone his talents with a staff that understands his strengths and flaws. Starting over somewhere else is a mistake. But I'm no expert.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That could certainly be the case but I’m just saying that with the right development he’s capable. Hopefully he will make a decision he won’t regret (or that he won’t regret this one).

Hopefully he talks to some other players who have transferred multiple times (including Newton and Kelly). He doesn’t want to go into a Bamisile situation where he picks a school with an abusive regime or one where he just doesn’t feel like he fits in because he will be in the portal again.

I’m not sure why he didn’t think Skinn and Co could help him get to the NBA (especially considering he’s only on the NBA’s radar because of what he did here), but so be it. Whoever he’s listening to, I hope they are right and he’s not taking bad advice.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree. I think he needs a second year at the same school to really hone his talents with a staff that understands his strengths and flaws. Starting over somewhere else is a mistake. But I'm no expert.
Excellent point. Has he spent more than a year anywhere since he started high school? I thought I saw that he went to 4 or 5 different high schools (maybe 1 was a prep year) and now he will have been at 3 colleges in 3 years.
Hopefully he talks to some other players who have transferred multiple times (including Newton and Kelly). He doesn’t want to go into a Bamisile situation where he picks a school with an abusive regime or one where he just doesn’t feel like he fits in because he will be in the portal again.

I’m not sure why he didn’t think Skinn and Co could help him get to the NBA (especially considering he’s only on the NBA’s radar because of what he did here), but so be it. Whoever he’s listening to, I hope they are right and he’s not taking bad advice.
While he appears to getting questionable advice, many of you are making an assumption that Tony actually wanted him back. The roster as it stands today is the way Tony wanted the roster to look at this point. People shouldn't be mad at KH for leaving, but, it would be understandable to be mad at him for the way he ended the season and the way he behaved during the year.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He can go to UCLA, annoy Mick Cronin and get 250k in NIL.
I'm sure the players in the Big ten will not know how to defend his dribble dribble spin move.

Maybe the LA media can do stories on how he lost weight.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Players come. Players go. Some you remember for good reasons. Some you remember for bad. And some, you don't remember at all.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Excellent point. Has he spent more than a year anywhere since he started high school? I thought I saw that he went to 4 or 5 different high schools (maybe 1 was a prep year) and now he will have been at 3 colleges in 3 years.
Lesson learned, don’t recruit players who jump so frequently regardless of talent.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
We have such a strange fanbase in that we always seem to underestimate players leaving our program. Josh won't be able to bang with bigs in the Big East, Jordan won't be able to play PF in the ACC, there were folks that even thought Luke wouldn't see the court at Louisville.

We can criticize KH on his way out the door and rightfully question his dedication to the team, but he's an elite scorer and will be able to put up points in any league he plays in. I hope the rest of his game and attitude matures wherever he winds up next.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We have such a strange fanbase in that we always seem to underestimate players leaving our program. Josh won't be able to bang with bigs in the Big East, Jordan won't be able to play PF in the ACC, there were folks that even thought Luke wouldn't see the court at Louisville.

We can criticize KH on his way out the door and rightfully question his dedication to the team, but he's an elite scorer and will be able to put up points in any league he plays in. I hope the rest of his game and attitude matures wherever he winds up next.
Josh, Luke, and Jordan were character guys. KH is a zero compared to those 3.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Good point. I think the tendency is to assume the higher conference teams are so much better than us. I think that leads to the assumption that if he gets X in the A10, he will only get something like .5X in a P5 conference. Combine that with us knowing the weaknesses of our own players so well and assuming that will hinder them more than it actually does. Probably battered fan syndrome at play here (plus some spite to boot).

I had concerns about how well Josh would do at Providence, but, I think not being the overwhelmingly #1 guy on the floor and not being double or even triple teamed all the time allowed him to thrive. It was probably a similar situation for your other examples.

I think KH will be an interesting case to follow. As others have noted, some of the issues are less physical skill and more, let's say, attitude. If not being the #1 guy is what allowed the others to thrive, how will his attitude adjust to not being the #1 guy. Maybe he could still be the #1 guy, but #2 won't be so far behind him (or vice versa).

Like I said, it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I don't think I'll be doing as much of it in person, though, as I did with Josh and Ticket...

Pablo

Hall of Famer

College basketball transfer portal rankings: Who are the best men’s players on the move?​

35 Keyshawn Hall
Former Team
George Mason

"Ht: 6-7 Wt: 230

Hall is a fascinating player. After weighing nearly 300 pounds in high school, Hall is now down to the 230-pound range and added real shiftiness to his game. He averaged 16.6 points and 8.1 rebounds per game and was named second-team All-Atlantic-10 last season.

His shot profile is highly specific. Of his 273 halfcourt shot attempts last season, 107 were 3-pointers, 120 were at the rim and zero were dunks, per Synergy. Even with his weight loss, he still doesn’t have a ton of bounce. Instead, he’s an undersized 4 with guard skills who repeatedly drove to the rim from behind the arc or the mid-post. Most of his nominal post-up opportunities turned into face-up drives. His handle in these situations is creative, as he strings together a lot of different crossovers and spin moves.

He countered his desire to get to the rim by catching and firing from distance when those shot became available. He has a strange lefty stroke where his left leg flares forward, but he did drill nearly 36 percent of his four 3-point attempts per game.

While Hall can get to the rim at the A-10 level, his efficiency dropped drastically against good teams. He went 3-for-13 against Tennessee, 1-for-5 against Toledo, 4-for-13 against Tulane, 1-for-4 against Richmond, 3-for-11 against Dayton and 2-for-7 against Loyola Chicago. Can his game translate to the high-major level? Can he consistently finish below the rim against better competition? Will his shot continue to fall?

He’d be an interesting target for a school who already has shooters and is looking for more frontcourt shot creation.
— Sam Vecenie"

Last edited: