Goodbye Dave Paulsen

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I do. Once a Patriot Always a Patriot. Although I'm not a huge fan of him, I will always have a respect for him. He took a chance on us and left a good gig at Bucknell to take over a bottom tier A-10 team. Had he sucked, we'd still be neighbors with Fordham in the standings. Sure he had several flaws and couldn't get us over that 4th/5th place hump, but he ran a clean program and had our guys fighting hard every game (minus his last one against Davidson).

Look at our woman's basketball coach Venessa Blair Lewis. She went 89-120 Overall and 49-63 in Conference her first 8 years and never finished above 5th. Her Last 5 seasons her teams finished 1st 4 out the 5. But at our level we don't have the patience or time for an 8 year rebuild. Was he the right guy 6 years ago?... I wouldn't say no. Should we have retained him? I wouldn't say yes. But he's an overall good coach that does deserve a gig at a lower level and will follow and root for him wherever he ends up.
Well said. Too much Paulsen hate out there. He did his best and left us better than we were. Yes, it was time for him to go, but....

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Ephoops, it appears that Williams College has a pretty good coach now. Maybe if the current coach eventually takes another job, Paulsen can be the returning hero. Your thoughts?

KAOriginal

All-American
Did he need to go...yep...because we needed a different approach for the A10.

Did he frustrate me. Yep.

Did he really just leave the program a burning mess of rubber tires. NOPE.

If we don't have the glory of the Larranaga years, and Hewitt killing the program....we would not have been so rabid to force a change.

Best wishes to him.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Bowdoin College (ME): I can confirm that an offer has been made. Not sure if it has been accepted yet. More as I hear it."

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

"Bowdoin College (ME): I can confirm that an offer has been made. Not sure if it has been accepted yet. More as I hear it."
Offer to who?

ephoops

Starter
Ephoops, it appears that Williams College has a pretty good coach now. Maybe if the current coach eventually takes another job, Paulsen can be the returning hero. Your thoughts?
I do not think the current coach at Williams is leaving any time in the short- or intermediate-term. He has a great gig. It doesn’t pay as well as a D-1 job but the lifestyle in Williamstown, Mass is nice if you like living in a beautiful New England college town.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I believe that Coach Paulsen can still be an effective head coach, particularly at the D-III level where he coached Williams to 2 NCAA championship games (winning 1). But, he must be getting discouraged that he's being passed over by younger assistant coaches.

Masonfan3

Starter
I guess he did lose out to the video coordinator.. I didn't really look too much into but the original article/post made it seem like Alex Lloyd was currently the video coordinator at Texas A&M instead of being a G League Assistant for the past 4 years. Was hoping to see DP get the job and succeed as he seems like a good dude but I am sure another D3 opportunity will come up and he will do just fine.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Bowdoin search committee probably did their due diligence and google searched “Dave Paulsen” and came across the boards... read the “Fire Dave Paulsen” thread and was like “Nah.”

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The Bowdoin search committee probably did their due diligence and google searched “Dave Paulsen” and came across the boards... read the “Fire Dave Paulsen” forum and was like “Nah.”
On the upside, there is no Division IV, so there would be no way Paulsen could under-recurit kids with the goal of coaching 'em up.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
LMAO he really got beaten out by a video coordinator. All the validation in the world that we made the right move.