Goodbye Dave Paulsen

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Will Dave Paulsen be hired as the next coach of the D-III Bowdoin Polar Bears?

"Dave Paulsen (born September 14, 1964)​

Teams coached: St. Lawrence Saints, Le Moyne Dolphins, Williams Ephs, Bucknell Bison, George Mason Patriots

St. Lawrence record^: 50–28 (.641)
Le Moyne record^: 42–39 (.519)
Williams record^: 170–53 (.762)
Bucknell record: 134-94 (.588)
George Mason record: 95-91 (.511)
Overall record^: 491-305 (.617)

Career Accomplishments:​

• NCAA National Championships: 0
  • NCAA Tournament Appearances: 2 (2011, 2013)
  • NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 0
  • NIT Championships: 0
  • NIT Appearances: 2 (2012, 2015)
  • CBI Appearances: 1 (2017)
  • Patriot League Regular Season Champion: 4 (2011, 2012, 2013, 2015)
  • NESCAC (Div III) Regular Season Champion: 2 (2003, 2004)
  • UCAA (Div III) Regular Season Champion: 1 (1997)
  • Patriot League Tournament Champion: 2 (2011, 2013)
  • NESCAC (Div III) Tournament Champion: 2 (2003, 2004, 2007)
  • NCAA Division III National Championships: 1 (2003)
  • NCAA Division III Tournament Appearances: 6 (1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007)
  • NCAA Division III Tournament Final Four: 2 (2003, 2004)

Awards:​

KAOriginal

All-American
Tell you what....Bowdoin is 20 minutes from me and it's good living. Brunswick is a nice town.

And it maybe D3 ...but the money and attitude there is something else. My son goes to fencing camps there.

Heck they have something Mason doesnt---football...lol.

If he makes a 100k there....he's going to be living large. Good for him.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Tell you what....Bowdoin is 20 minutes from me and it's good living. Brunswick is a nice town.

And it maybe D3 ...but the money and attitude there is something else. My son goes to fencing camps there.

He didn't cut it at Mason, but like I've said, at the right level, he has proven he can coach and win. Hope he gets the job...and flourishes.

He15man

Starter

"I have heard that D3 Bowdoin could have interviews wrapped up this week. It sounds like there are at least five finalists. The names that I have heard are former George Mason (and NESCAC rival Williams College) head coach Dave Paulsen, Texas A&M video Coordinator Alex Lloyd, Nichols College head coach Brandon Linton (a former Bowdoin assistant), RPI head coach Mark Gilbride (played for his father Tim at Bowdoin), and a current D3 head coach from the Midwest."
How dismal has your career become that you - a former D1 coach - are now potentially losing out on a D3 job to a video coordinator, a couple coaches from D3 colleges no one's ever heard of, and a coach not even worth calling out by name?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
How dismal has your career become that you - a former D1 coach - are now potentially losing out on a D3 job to a video coordinator, a couple coaches from D3 colleges no one's ever heard of, and a coach not even worth calling out by name?

That is a gut punch to the ol' self esteem.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Very Bougiey.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Interviews at D3 Bowdoin are done. Announcement could be made in the next few days."

ephoops

Starter
Here's some context to the Bowdoin HC search -

Tim Gilbride recently retired after 35 years as HC at Bowdoin (he's the McKillop of D-3 hoops). If HoopDirt is accurate, Gilbride's son Mark (the current HC at D-3 RPI) is also a finalist for the job. Mark Gilbride grew up in Brunswick, ME, played for his father for four years, was the starting PG and team captain, and was an asst coach at Bowdoin after he graduated. I would be shocked if Bowdoin did not hire Mark Gilbride to succeed his father as head coach.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Here's some context to the Bowdoin HC search -

Tim Gilbride recently retired after 35 years as HC at Bowdoin (he's the McKillop of D-3 hoops). If HoopDirt is accurate, Gilbride's son Mark (the current HC at D-3 RPI) is also a finalist for the job. Mark Gilbride grew up in Brunswick, ME, played for his father for four years, was the starting PG and team captain, and was an asst coach at Bowdoin after he graduated. I would be shocked if Bowdoin did not hire Mark Gilbride to succeed his father as head coach.
Yep. Almost seems like a lock.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So what is the next step for Coach P?
Beats me. Maybe he just has to wait until another opportunity opens up in a year or two. I just can't believe that his tenure at Mason (where he did have a winning record after all) is going to disqualify him from ever getting another HC position. He's won everywhere he's been. Winning record at every stop.

G M U

Starter
So what is the next step for Coach P?

GettyImages-980585152.jpeg

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I do. Once a Patriot Always a Patriot. Although I'm not a huge fan of him, I will always have a respect for him. He took a chance on us and left a good gig at Bucknell to take over a bottom tier A-10 team. Had he sucked, we'd still be neighbors with Fordham in the standings. Sure he had several flaws and couldn't get us over that 4th/5th place hump, but he ran a clean program and had our guys fighting hard every game (minus his last one against Davidson).

Look at our woman's basketball coach Venessa Blair Lewis. She went 89-120 Overall and 49-63 in Conference her first 8 years and never finished above 5th. Her Last 5 seasons her teams finished 1st 4 times. But at our level we don't have the patience or time for an 8 year rebuild. Was he the right guy 6 years ago?... I wouldn't say no. Should we have retained him? I wouldn't say yes. But he's an overall good coach that does deserve a gig at a lower level and I will follow and root for him wherever he ends up.

Last edited: