GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Anyone know what is being done on the lot at the corner of University Dr and George Mason Blvd, across the street from University Hall? The lot is cleared and fencing up all around it. Not sure if that land is owned by the university, though.

gmububba

Recruit
Anyone know what is being done on the lot at the corner of University Dr and George Mason Blvd, across the street from University Hall? The lot is cleared and fencing up all around it. Not sure if that land is owned by the university, though.

New academic building for College of Health and Human Services (Academic VII/Research III): http://facilities.gmu.edu/projects/view-project.cfm?customel_dataPageID_2336=2483

http://facilities.gmu.edu/CampusPla...20924-Land-and-Building-Committee-24SEP12.pdf (first few slides)

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Construction cost $3.5 million? That must be a misprint.

Also, the gateway signs look lame.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow, I knew about the new CHHS building, but I thought it was going somewhere completely different. Mind = blown.

OP
Yossarian

Yossarian

Sixth Man
$3.5 mil seems really low to me for that CHHS building. Also, I thought Ffx county/city owned that property (are we talking about the gravel lot where buses are normally parked?) Did Mason own that spot all along and rent it, or was this a recent land grab that slipped under the radar?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe that is the planning budget for the architect, the line below (which is blank) is where the construction budget should be listed.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
$3.5 mil seems really low to me for that CHHS building. Also, I thought Ffx county/city owned that property (are we talking about the gravel lot where buses are normally parked?) Did Mason own that spot all along and rent it, or was this a recent land grab that slipped under the radar?

No, it's the area between the new dorms that were just recently built and University Hall. I believe it used to be called Lot I/H.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The University did buy the land across the street about 3.5 years ago. But I don't think the CHHS building is going there. Something else is planned for that plot of land.

Scythe

Starter
Here's the new Fenwick: http://newsdesk.gmu.edu/2013/11/library-addition-accommodates-evolving-research-study-needs/

main-stair.jpg

special-collection-reference-and-reading-room.jpg

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

Should have just made it a residence/dining hall in the first place. The demand for on-campus housing continues to increase, why not address the issue? Additional space for conferences and gatherings could have been planned differently and placed elsewhere.

The place was never full. Good move by the University to do this now rather then later. There are too many other hotel options (and much cheaper) in Fairfax alone.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
That is surprising as it is a nice facility. However, if it was not making money - you cannot keep it open. At least it will be leveraged for student housing and on campus conference space needs. Those will be nice dorm rooms!

I wonder if people knew it existed. I mean, there is the Days Inn (or whatever the hotel is near I-66 on Route 123) and that's it until you get to Tyson's to the north and Woodbridge/Lake Ridge to the south.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if people knew it existed. I mean, there is the Days Inn (or whatever the hotel is near I-66 on Route 123) and that's it until you get to Tyson's to the north and Woodbridge/Lake Ridge to the south.

There are a lot of nice hotel options in Fairfax: Marriott Fair Oaks, Courtyard Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott (amongst a few others).

Scythe

Starter
why did they ever think a fancy hotel on a commuter-perceived school would ever be worth it

The Mason Inn was constructed as a solution in search of a problem. There aren't enough large scale conferences and such on campus to make it fully utilized year round -- which I think they realized.

If anything dorm rooms should've been top priority -- you can milk those for a long time.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
There are a lot of nice hotel options in Fairfax: Marriott Fair Oaks, Courtyard Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott (amongst a few others).

True, those are on Route 29 (I think). I always thought that the closer a hotel is to an interstate, the more expensive it gets.