⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Dammit you beat me to it.

New-CHHS-Building-3-e1403646747875-1024x466.jpg

OP
Yossarian

Yossarian

Sixth Man
University Blvd? Is this going to be built on the land that used to serve as a school bus parking lot? The land that belonged to George Fairfax Mason City University? I never understood who own(ed)(s) that land. These types of shady real estate deals have all the characteristics of the Clinton family and Frank Underwood.

If that's the spot, did I read correctly that it will overlook a pond? If so, I hope they stock it with bass so I can satiate my recessive redneck gene and poach a few of them from time to time. Or, at the very least, we could offer a bathing spot to Coach Murray's father when he comes to watch Rhode Island get beaten up in Fairfax... He could come over sometime and use the pool... or pond... whatever. The pond would be good for him.

caddyshackbillmurrayunkempt.jpg

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
University Blvd? Is this going to be built on the land that used to serve as a school bus parking lot? The land that belonged to George Fairfax Mason City University?

Pretty sure they mean the land currently occupied by Lot H near the University Drive entrance. Lot H is in between the new dorms (Whitetop, Rogers) and the newly appointed Alan and Sally Merten Hall (formerly University Hall).

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The total project is expected to cost $73 million; Mason will raise $8 million in tax-deductible donations for the building fund.
This line makes me ill. How will the school raise $8M and where will that money come from? And why aren't those donors/corporations supporting athletics?????

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This line makes me ill. How will the school raise $8M and where will that money come from? And why aren't those donors/corporations supporting athletics?????
Don't let it make you ill - there are a lot of NOVA companies that are going to back this including INOVA and others with years of partnering with Mason under their belt.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

I wonder if Alan Merten had something to do with that securing some of that $ in his last years. If true, kinda makes you see how academics trumped athletics.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Mason's endowment is quite low not only among state universities (http://www.connect2mason.com/content/masons-endowment-numbers-lower-other-comparable-universities), most of whom are significantly older, but also compared to similarly-aged institutions nationally. In those circumstances especially it shouldn't be surprising that academics trumps athletics. Indeed, one might argue that at ANY university, academics should trump athletics.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I guess what I'm saying is that those who raised that $8M should go and help the Patriot Club as well.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I guess what I'm saying is that those who raised that $8M should go and help the Patriot Club as well.

I think this should have been done too, but Merten put a stubtle stop or slow down to athletic funding so more could be done for academics. Even though we may not like to admit it, it was probably the right thing to do.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
There is no doubt that Merten favored the development of academic , programs and facilities. But to be honest and fair that was the right decision for the University at its phase of development. We are at a different phase now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I took a bunch of photos of the Fenwick Library project a couple of weeks ago, and I keep forgetting to upload them. It's much bigger than I realized! :cool: I'll try to get them up tonight or tomorrow.