⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Here are some pics I took this morning.

b4b95841678e89b16886b6242974393d.jpg

1a5c44e36e8a64d8689b9490c9600a22.jpg

bbffb764291c9b6d4162f880ca74a8ec.jpg

Irish44j

Sixth Man
I drive through campus on occasion and always get a laugh at how pretty much the "old" part of campus is President's Park, where I lived my first year there in '95 (then moved across to KPW for the rest of my time at GMU). When we moved in those were the "new dorms" lol. Johnson Center was built during the time I was at GMU, as I recall (or just before)

Crazy how much it has built up. Are there any buildings left on campus that existed before 1990 or so?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I drive through campus on occasion and always get a laugh at how pretty much the "old" part of campus is President's Park, where I lived my first year there in '95 (then moved across to KPW for the rest of my time at GMU). When we moved in those were the "new dorms" lol. Johnson Center was built during the time I was at GMU, as I recall (or just before)

Crazy how much it has built up. Are there any buildings left on campus that existed before 1990 or so?

Off the top of my head, when I arrived in 1970 all these buildings were there and still are standing: Finley, Krug, West, East, the Lecture Hall (but that's set to either be leveled or renovated), the Library (to the left of the main entrance). And I think the PE building, which used to house the gym that served as our home court (now renovated into an excellent recreational facility and transformed into the RAC).

Thompson Hall opened in 1971 and SUB I was opened about a year later. I'm not sure the specific date, but Robinson A and King Hall were built prior to 1990.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Off the top of my head, when I arrived in 1970 all these buildings were there and still are standing: Finley, Krug, West, East, the Lecture Hall (but that's set to either be leveled or renovated), the Library (to the left of the main entrance). And I think the PE building, which used to house the gym that served as our home court (now renovated into an excellent recreational facility and transformed into the RAC).

Thompson Hall opened in 1971 and SUB I was opened about a year later. I'm not sure the specific date, but Robinson A and King Hall were built prior to 1990.

Lecture Hall will be demolished per plan. One of the original four will also to open up the quad even more. Finley was gutted and totally renovated. With start of the HHS Building (School of Nursing) planned for January - that part of the campus will be totally transformed.

jmckend1

Starter
I think eventually the campus will expand down Braddock since the school owns many many acres that way. I still am very curious about the "spectacular" plans Merten mentioned

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe long term the school plans to build 3-5 parking garages over parts of what are now Lots L, J, and/or K and then convert some of the other parking lots to academic or residential buildings. There is also the possibility of tearing down the Lecture Hall and the East Building so we can use the space north of Fenwick more efficiently.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

I am confused. Is this the same Health Sciences Building? They look very different. EDIT: I see now that it is the same building. I am going to assume that the bottom two are the final design. Much better than the earlier drawings. And just like with every Mason building, it is just an okay design. And it will not look as good as the drawing.
aviiia.JPG
aviii.JPG

Last edited: