Giant Killer Updates

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
JMU's basketball arena is too small to hold convocation now, so that's why they're getting a new arena.

The relative age of the arena isn't a problem (Cameron Indoor was built in 1940, as an example, the Palestra was built in 1926, as another one). The bones of the arena are just fine (I mean, it was built in the 80s so aesthetically it's a bit ugly, but that's fine). It also went through a major $20 million renovation after the Final Four, and we continue to evolve the interior. Maybe at some point we'll reduce total capacity and built in suites, but that's a heavy lift given they'd have to shut the arena down for a long period in the offseason to build suites and redo the seating bowl, and that's a lot of lost revenue in the meantime.

The practice facility is something everyone has been asking for (well, outside of Paul Hewitt) for almost 20 years, and we finally got it done under BE. You've got to give him credit for that.

Other A-10 Arena ages:

URI: 1956
Dayton: 1968
St. Bonaventure: 1966
La Salle: 1998
vcu: 1996
St. Louis: 2008
Richmond: 1972
Davidson: 1989
Fordham: 1925
UMass: 1993
St. Joes: 1949
GW: 1975
Duquesne: 1988
Damn you did you’re research. But I’m
not suggesting building a new arena. My larger point is that renovations are expected for a 35 year old building. So I guess Edwards did was expected/needed.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Damn you did you’re research. But I’m
not suggesting building a new arena. My larger point is that renovations are expected for a 35 year old building. So I guess Edwards did was expected/needed.

I get that, but given the fact that there are a lot of facilities that need work, he could have gone TOC route and ignore the basketball facilities, but he didn’t.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
JMU’s basketball arena was built around the same time as EBA, yet JMU is building a brand new arena. It’s hard for me to credit BE for slapping band aids on EBA.
JMU is building a new place because they play in a high school gym and no one wants to go watch a game there (and because they need a convocation center.) The effect that a new arena will have on that program far outweighs what a new one would do for us. I’m sure no recruit wants to go play in their gym. For us the problem is competing with everything going on in the DC area.

Also, that thing has been in development purgatory for ages.

FreeGunston12

All-American
GK guys-
I'm guessing the next time y'all get to chat with DP will be in the post-game on Saturday. Can you ask about who will get the assignment of guarding Grayer? How the team will prepare for an opposing player that is so familiar with them? And who will play him on the "scout" team?

I'm sure you're all over this already, but I'd love to know. Thanks!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GK guys-
I'm guessing the next time y'all get to chat with DP will be in the post-game on Saturday. Can you ask about who will get the assignment of guarding Grayer? How the team will prepare for an opposing player that is so familiar with them? And who will play him on the "scout" team?

I'm sure you're all over this already, but I'd love to know. Thanks!

One thing is for sure, Grayer loved to set up on the corners for open 3s, and we've been leaving those open. If we let him get the ball there without a hand in his face when he catches it, he's going to light us up.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
One thing is for sure, Grayer loved to set up on the corners for open 3s, and we've been leaving those open. If we let him get the ball there without a hand in his face when he catches it, he's going to light us up.

I saw TCU about a week ago on tv and that is still his preference. He was waiting in the corner on every possession, it seemed. He's shooting 51% from 3 this year, 18th in the country. (47% on 2 pointers).

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just wanted to post that I appreciate what y'all are doing here. Had 8 hours on the roads for the holidays and finally got the chance to catch up on all the GK/Hey10 podcasts for this season(much to my fiances chagrin).

Is there a site/venmo to donate?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023