Giant Killer Updates

Masonfan3

Starter

Found the last minute or two very interesting. The arena has been lacking energy for a while now and it's interesting to hear that the players are noticing it. I really thought that with BE and Darrell Green coming aboard, that attendance and "fandom" might increase the game day experience. I do not like the Redskins but why can't we get some older skins guys (or even some of the better current ones) to come to some games and do an autograph session before or after. Market the hell out of it and you might get some more fans in the seats. Even when attendance is up, the majority of the people in the stands are old dudes who really could care less. We need to start getting more sports fanatics who care about the outcome on the floor to attend games.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I do not like the Redskins but why can't we get some older skins guys (or even some of the better current ones) to come to some games and do an autograph session before or after.
That costs money. Those guys aren't coming out and signing autographs for free.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Need to think outside the obvious box.

Masonfan3

Starter
That costs money. Those guys aren't coming out and signing autographs for free.

So Darrell and BE can't get some of their "buddies" to come out and sign autographs for kids; that's pretty sad. I guess what I was getting at is that we have a HOF'r and another superbowl winning Redskin in the front office of a college team in Redskin country and I expected them to use their connections to make the game-day experience a lot better. It is no different than the Hewitt days, in fact at times it is worse. BE, DG, and the marketing team need to start doing a better job because these kids are not going to want to come here and play in front of an arena that is 1/4 full and you can hear a pin drop.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I was expecting their connections to lead to more funding for what BE is in charge of. But thats a fail. Not one penny from Synder or other former Skins. Arguement could be made, why would they donate? What's their connection? I know LaVar Arrington came to some games before BE era. Is our Athletic Department even cool? I feel like we can't make friends.

OP
By George.

By George.

Starter
So Darrell and BE can't get some of their "buddies" to come out and sign autographs for kids; that's pretty sad. I guess what I was getting at is that we have a HOF'r and another superbowl winning Redskin in the front office of a college team in Redskin country and I expected them to use their connections to make the game-day experience a lot better. It is no different than the Hewitt days, in fact at times it is worse. BE, DG, and the marketing team need to start doing a better job because these kids are not going to want to come here and play in front of an arena that is 1/4 full and you can hear a pin drop.

In all fairness, things we’ve bitched about for awhile have been added or fixed -

Lighting
Sound system
Visual running stats
The scoreboard
Practice facility
Locker rooms
Hell, when we first started, they wouldn’t let us take video and photos on our phone on the baseline, now you’ll see like 3 Mason interns snapping content on their phones.

We talk to Brad all the time, not saying we had anything to do with these changes but they do hear us all some and they have been working to improve the game day experience. That’s why in the video, I call on US. Stop relying on the school or the team or whoever and just step TF up yourselves to improve everyone around you. If we all take that mentality; EBA will be ROCKING come vcu coming to the Fax.

Masonfan3

Starter
In all fairness, things we’ve bitched about for awhile have been added or fixed -

Lighting
Sound system
Visual running stats
The scoreboard
Practice facility
Locker rooms
Hell, when we first started, they wouldn’t let us take video and photos on our phone on the baseline, now you’ll see like 3 Mason interns snapping content on their phones.

We talk to Brad all the time, not saying we had anything to do with these changes but they do hear us all some and they have been working to improve the game day experience. That’s why in the video, I call on US. Stop relying on the school or the team or whoever and just step TF up yourselves to improve everyone around you. If we all take that mentality; EBA will be ROCKING come vcu coming to the Fax.

All those things you mentioned are great improvements but have those improved the atmosphere in the arena, no. They were all needed improvements but does the average fan really notice the lighting and sound system improvement, probably not. I will give BE credit though for everything you mentioned. I do agree that WE need to step TF up but "WE" (the passionate Mason fan) is not a large population. The administration/staff needs to find a way to reach the sports fans in the community and the majority of the student population. This team is pretty fun to watch and if we can get people to come out to EBA, I think they will be entertained and want to come back. Winning can cure a lot, so hopefully we keep winning and that should naturally bring some more people.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I still say we need to have a “stand up to cancer game”. And if you sit down, you’re an asshole. Then maybe people will realize, “hey, this standing up thing ain’t so bad” and continue to do it from time to time.

Edit: it’s really about teaching the student section to hold each other accountable. It’s perfectly acceptable to yell at a student that is sitting down, especially if they’re “supporting” cancer.

Last edited:

FreeGunston12

All-American
Or you could just play the National Anthem on an endless loop.
tenor.gif

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Lighting
Sound system
Visual running stats
The scoreboard
Practice facility
Locker rooms

It’s hard to give BE credit for the things you listed. The building is 35 years old. Moderate upgrades should be expected.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
JMU’s basketball arena was built around the same time as EBA, yet JMU is building a brand new arena. It’s hard for me to credit BE for slapping band aids on EBA.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
JMU’s basketball arena was built around the same time as EBA, yet JMU is building a brand new arena. It’s hard for me to credit BE for slapping band aids on EBA.

JMU's basketball arena is too small to hold convocation now, so that's why they're getting a new arena.

The relative age of the arena isn't a problem (Cameron Indoor was built in 1940, as an example, the Palestra was built in 1926, as another one). The bones of the arena are just fine (I mean, it was built in the 80s so aesthetically it's a bit ugly, but that's fine). It also went through a major $20 million renovation after the Final Four, and we continue to evolve the interior. Maybe at some point we'll reduce total capacity and built in suites, but that's a heavy lift given they'd have to shut the arena down for a long period in the offseason to build suites and redo the seating bowl, and that's a lot of lost revenue in the meantime.

The practice facility is something everyone has been asking for (well, outside of Paul Hewitt) for almost 20 years, and we finally got it done under BE. You've got to give him credit for that.

Other A-10 Arena ages:

URI: 1956
Dayton: 1968
St. Bonaventure: 1966
La Salle: 1998
vcu: 1996
St. Louis: 2008
Richmond: 1972
Davidson: 1989
Fordham: 1925
UMass: 1993
St. Joes: 1949