George Mason Cricket Stadium

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hope all of you huge cricket/baseball fans have season tickets this year and don’t miss a game. Can’t wait for us to have another gigantic empty sports facility.

Why do you think that? Cricket is gonna draw. I see it played all over in No Va.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
On a funny side note, I used to ref IM at Mason and the most vicious games were easily the Indian vs Pakistani cricket games. Made frat league look like coed tee ball. You haven’t lived until you’ve heard Pakistanis and Indians call each other slurs over an IM game no one cares about.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Marshall just opened a brand new 3k capacity (+ standing room) stadium for their baseball program. Including an adjacent clubhouse facility with locker rooms, lounges, batting cages, etc. Looks like it had a total cost of $25M, with $14M of that funded by the state.

This is for a Marshall baseball program that has had just four winning seasons since 1990.

IMG_4379.jpeg

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Geoff Keller

11m ·

"Just got into a back and forth on Twitter with some Mason alums that were calling this NIMBY (that I viewed as a very good discussion and wish we could all have more of them). If there was ONE thing I wish I could clear up it would be that. I know that speaking for most people in our neighborhood, we would absolutely support the addition of an NCAA baseball stadium in the same spot. This isn't about no progress on the West Campus and this isn't about Baseball over Cricket. To us, this is about a Professional Sports Team instead of Students. And its about a secretive deal that has not been planned at all. Don't take my word for that, listen to members of their own board who feel that way.

We all moved across the street to a University knowing that a vibrant and growing University is not only good for us but part of the reason we moved there. Our neighborhood has a lot of Mason sports fans that support their teams. We have reached out to the baseball team and would love to help them get that stadium that they could use to recruit high school players. Obviously we can't pay for it all ourselves but we are definitely willing to be a part of the solution to their need for a new stadium. Why do we need a professional sports team from Maryland to get that baseball stadium (especially since it's not even going to be a real baseball stadium!)"

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Geoff Keller

11m ·

"Just got into a back and forth on Twitter with some Mason alums that were calling this NIMBY (that I viewed as a very good discussion and wish we could all have more of them). If there was ONE thing I wish I could clear up it would be that. I know that speaking for most people in our neighborhood, we would absolutely support the addition of an NCAA baseball stadium in the same spot. This isn't about no progress on the West Campus and this isn't about Baseball over Cricket. To us, this is about a Professional Sports Team instead of Students. And its about a secretive deal that has not been planned at all. Don't take my word for that, listen to members of their own board who feel that way.

We all moved across the street to a University knowing that a vibrant and growing University is not only good for us but part of the reason we moved there. Our neighborhood has a lot of Mason sports fans that support their teams. We have reached out to the baseball team and would love to help them get that stadium that they could use to recruit high school players. Obviously we can't pay for it all ourselves but we are definitely willing to be a part of the solution to their need for a new stadium. Why do we need a professional sports team from Maryland to get that baseball stadium (especially since it's not even going to be a real baseball stadium!)"
For what its worth - this guy is more rational but the last sentence says it all.

Why do we need a professional sports team from Maryland to get that baseball stadium? Think about it for a second. Its a win win, and can make things happen faster. Unless He is ponying up the money for a stadium thats where it needs to come from.

I also find it interesting that their neighborhood has a lot of Mason sports fans and they reached out to the baseball team. Are they going to help fund a stadium or upgrades? Yeah, doubt that.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
For what its worth - this guy is more rational but the last sentence says it all.

Why do we need a professional sports team from Maryland to get that baseball stadium? Think about it for a second. Its a win win, and can make things happen faster. Unless He is ponying up the money for a stadium thats where it needs to come from.

I also find it interesting that their neighborhood has a lot of Mason sports fans and they reached out to the baseball team. Are they going to help fund a stadium or upgrades? Yeah, doubt that.

Aren’t these the same people who have prevented lights from being installed on said baseball field for decades?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Aren’t these the same people who have prevented lights from being installed on said baseball field for decades?
Exactly- thats why it appears to be very fishy that "hey we want to help athletics and are fans!!"- but are having conniptions over this.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Exactly- thats why it appears to be very fishy that "hey we want to help athletics and are fans!!"- but are having conniptions over this.

Not to mention the fact that we had plans to expand and redo the stadium for at least 10 years and had to stop the project due to lack of funding. Wonder how many of them donated to the project at the time Mason was asking?

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Living in Hawaii is pretty spectacular for a lot of reasons but one of the things that is very cool is how much they love the UH baseball team. I've never been to a game (because I live with a toddler) but I have a buddy who goes all the time, the stadium is great, and tickets are cheap. People go all the time because there are no other sports to watch in this market.

I keep going back to thinking about those nights as a kid sitting in Lorton traffic to get to a Prince William Cannons game...I'm sure my parents would have loved to have a stadium 5-10 min. away. As a kid I would have loved it too. It's a net positive all around.

So what if we finance it and use it as a cricket staidum a few times a year? What do they care where we get the money from? People acting like we're building Allegiant Stadium and I feel like the University has been very forthcoming that the plan will integrate into the community and campus while giving people in the area more affordable entertainment. It's not like our baseball team is bad, but with the current facilities what's the incentive for people to come out and watch? Might as well go to a high school game.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Geoff Keller

11m ·

Maybe someone should explain college sports is now professional.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Geoff is not the typical NIMBY, he goes to Mason basketball games, etc.

I think this is more Mason being Mason and not adequately sharing the plan, rather than Mason not having a plan.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Geoff Keller

11m ·

This guy seems more normal than most, but I find the notion that anyone over there is gonna help fund a baseball stadium to be laughable. They just want this thing shut down and then to turn around and donate $100 bucks and say "well we tried to help."

EDIT: Lol upon re-reading this they say they're supportive of moving the baseball stadium to the proposed site, not upgrading the current one. So what they really want is to get even the current stadium away from their house. What a bunch of f**ks.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Based on my understanding of what they are saying, they would be totally fine with Mason having an amazing baseball team that draws thousands and Mason/Virginia paying entirely for that stadium.

Alternatively, we could also build a football stadium in this hypothetical.

I stand by my NIMBY assessment of the situation.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Like someone said in a prior post, had the school simply said we are building a new baseball stadium that can transform into a multiuse field, there wouldn't be any uprising from the hood. They claim they are against the PRO side of it and feel it should be for students first, which it is so if they came out like that it would of been so much easier.

A little off topic but since there appears to be a few Mason Baseball fans on this thread. The A10 has signed to play the 2024 conference tournament right down the street at Capital One Park in Tysons May 20-25. Mason is the defending A10 champion, and hopefully will be there defending their title. Capital One Park is a great place to take the family.

1709945679037.png

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A little off topic but since there appears to be a few Mason Baseball fans on this thread. The A10 has signed to play the 2024 conference tournament right down the street at Capital One Park in Tysons May 20-25. Mason is the defending A10 champion, and hopefully will be there defending their title. Capital One Park is a great place to take the family.

View attachment 2173

also Georgetown's "home" stadium