Game 9, Oklahoma (at Verizon Center), Dec 8th, 1 PM, MASN

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I absolutely would like Vertrail to be on this team. He can't be any worse than our so called "shooters" in Holloway, BA, and Gray. VV brought intensity and actually cared about the game he was playing in and showed emotion and passion for his team. These days that is a rarity.

His shots were inconsistent but that guy gave 110% in every game. I'll take 10 Vertrail Vaughans to 1 Holloway any day.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I believe its what you would call a sucker's line.
So, you were saying...

The good news is that I have figured out how we can raise a lot of money for the basketball team. We bet big against the patriots until Vegas realizes how bad we are. All the proceeds go to making the team better.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Let's not get carried away. He is an insignificant player just like most on this roster. That being said, I believe this team will be much better next season when Wright is off the team. I know many here like to view him as a "great" player, but he isn't. He thinks he is much better than he actually is and that is a bad combination. Let's give Hewitt another year, next year, to get something in place and if he can't, cut him loose and bring in a young, hungry coach looking to get paid instead of one that already has been.

I don't completely disagree with your assessment of Sherrod, but to think this team will be 'much better off' next year is nuts.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I don't completely disagree with your assessment of Sherrod, but to think this team will be 'much better off' next year is nuts.
Good call. I'll stick with "better" though although that might not mean much record wise. There are just too many weak players on the roster.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Good call. I'll stick with "better" though although that might not mean much record wise. There are just too many weak players on the roster.

The sad thing is, if there was someone kicking his a** to be a great player he has all the tools to be one. And there are several players on this roster who could be that way -- Gray, Holloway, Moore, Marko, Jenkins, Allen. That's a team, people, a team we can't see because we have a guy who has no idea how to get them to become one.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The sad thing is, if there was someone kicking his a** to be a great player he has all the tools to be one. And there are several players on this roster who could be that way -- Gray, Holloway, Moore, Marko, Jenkins, Allen. That's a team, people, a team we can't see because we have a guy who has no idea how to get them to become one.

Some of us have been saying this since Hewitt's first season. He's a terrible coach that has been exposed since most of Larranaga's players moved on.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Gray, Holloway, Moore, Marko, Jenkins, Allen. That's a team, people...

Correction: That's a decent offensive team; unfortunately, other than Jenkins and maybe Moore, it's a horrible defensive team. We will never get better until we get our scorers to play the other end of the court.

Just finished watching it. No chance when Allen and Wright play poorly, which they did.

Last game I was more pissed with Hewitt. This game more just a stark reality that our talent is very limited. Almost am eager for next year's team, just to clear out some of these softies and boneheads.

polepino

Starter
I love dreamin and hoping sometimes... hopefully this is Hewitt's way of tinkering with the lineups before conference play!

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
[quote="CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY, post: 4014, member: 174]This game more just a stark reality that our talent is very limited. Almost am eager for next year's team, just to clear out some of these softies and boneheads.[/quote]

This is my thinking as well. However, you still have the carcass that is Dopes for another year unless you send his uncle packing.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just finished watching it. No chance when Allen and Wright play poorly, which they did.

Last game I was more pissed with Hewitt. This game more just a stark reality that our talent is very limited. Almost am eager for next year's team, just to clear out some of these softies and boneheads.

Sure feels like GMU is going to be a "wait 'til next year" team for a while.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe we should tinker with the coaching staff. Let Lombardi run the team for a game or two. He couldn't do any worse than what we've got now.

[quote="CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY, post: 4014, member: 174]This game more just a stark reality that our talent is very limited. Almost am eager for next year's team, just to clear out some of these softies and boneheads.

This is my thinking as well. However, you still have the carcass that is Dopes for another year unless you send his uncle packing.[/quote]

I'd be fine with that. Never seen Copes' uncle contribute any coaching during a game. Did find time to stare me down when I was screaming for a timeout on a 22-1 USF run though.

Which suggests to me he has plenty of time to pay attention to the crowd on the bench.

Dawgs99

Starter

What has VG done that makes you believe he can be a difference maker? I had high hopes that he would bounce back this season....not gonna happen. VG camps out and waits to launch a 3 and his seems to miss many more than he makes. Also like Tom said VG and the rest of that gang can't play defense. Sherrod cancels out most of the points he scores by consistantly getting burned on D and then inexplicably throwing the ball to the other team. We kept hearing how great his work ethic was when he sat out, I guess he didn't work anything but putting the ball in the basket. Great players in their 5 year of college ball don't make the same mistakes Sherrod makes game in and game out. Just finished watching GW beat MD, we have nobody with game like Maurice Creek, not even close. Also I never see the assistant coaches do anything during the games but shaking their heads. Time to fire some of these clowns.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Between our head coach and his three assistants, we're paying the staff about a million bucks a year if not more.

Talk about wasted f**king money. I've seen more spirited coaching in a girls AAU tournament.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
This is my thinking as well. However, you still have the carcass that is Dopes for another year unless you send his uncle packing.

I'd be fine with that. Never seen Copes' uncle contribute any coaching during a game. Did find time to stare me down when I was screaming for a timeout on a 22-1 USF run though.

Which suggests to me he has plenty of time to pay attention to the crowd on the bench.[/quote]

It's pretty obvious that Copes isn't mature or determined enough to play for someone other than his uncle. And it's pretty obvious that his uncle can't develop big men who go strong in the paint.

I miss Coach L's big men. Everyone had good moves. Even Darryl Monroe was good sometimes. I can't remember the last time I was impressed with something other than a weird hook shot down low.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Correction: That's a decent offensive team; unfortunately, other than Jenkins and maybe Moore, it's a horrible defensive team. We will never get better until we get our scorers to play the other end of the court.

Hence the a** kicker, Tom. You honestly can't tell me that with Allen, Sherrod and Gray's size, strength and quickness they can't stay in front of their man if they were really motivated and/or had a scheme that made sense to them (I think the knowledge that they're just going to switch off on the screen makes them lazy, and our bigs certainly aren't athletic enough to stay in front of many -- any? -- division I guards).

Dawgs99

Starter
Hence the a** kicker, Tom. You honestly can't tell me that with Allen, Sherrod and Gray's size, strength and quickness they can't stay in front of their man if they were really motivated and/or had a scheme that made sense to them (I think the knowledge that they're just going to switch off on the screen makes them lazy, and our bigs certainly aren't athletic enough to stay in front of many -- any? -- division I guards).

Theres no way you can use scheme as a cover up for their lack of defense. If Corey can stay in front of his many than they can too. You have to want to play D, many of our guys IMHO are me first kind of players. Defense, much like rebounding is 90% effort. We can blame Hewitt for a lot of things but our guys getting beat off the dribble like a drum is not one of them. VG and SW have been terrible at man-man defense since the moment they stepped on campus.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Gemini, did you really say they aren't motivated to play defense? That is so damn ridiculous. Holloway's minutes have been reduced because of his piss-poor defense, so what more motivation do they need? I get the argument about scheme, but at some point the players have to be accountable. Stop the guy you're covering. period. And if you can't, sit on the bench and we'll find somebody who can.