Game 9, Oklahoma (at Verizon Center), Dec 8th, 1 PM, MASN

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
My main take away from this game is: If you let an OU player into the lane with the ball and no one is in a reasonable defensive position, they will be able to complete a slam dunk or layup.

Bricker

Starter
We trail by double-digits most of the game and get it to within 2 thanks to some timely 3s with 3:30 left. BA gets called for a bogus charge after slashing and hitting a layup to tie it on the next possession, they waive off the basket, and we don't hit another shot the entire game.

Final Score:

Oklahoma 82, GMU 71

Sherrod says something about lack of intensity at some point in the game at the presser. An assistant waxes philosophical about the game's moral victories and preparing for a tough A-10 schedule.

Dammit-- should have known we wouldn't get to 70.

Anyone know the last time this team scored 80 points? Wasn't this season...

Oh, and I enjoy the consolation prize of Feinstien telling people that going to a Mason basketball game isn't always a train wreck because the band is good. Yay...

Dawgs99

Starter
Newsflash, Arledge isn't on the team anymore. You should try to keep up.

And while Larranaga originally recruited both Gray and Edwards, Hewitt had to re-recruit both players. Neither participated in even one practice under Larranaga.

So yes, all but 3 of these guys are Hewitt's. And if you think this team is going to get better next season, you're just not paying attention.

Jim, as I'm sure you're aware almost every new coach re-recruits the old coaches recruits, otherwise you generally have a very thin roster for awhile. Its disingenuous to claim that Edwards and Grey are Hewitt guys. And while Arledge is no longer on the team it doesn't change the fact that hes not a Hewitt guy and a huge bust. Hewitt has obvious coaching issues......but the talent on this team is not where it needs to be. Some of the talent is Coach L's fault and some of it is Hewitts. All Sherrod can do is score, his handle, passing, and defense are a joke. I like BA but hes a guy without a true position, not a PG and not a good enough shooter to be a good 2 guard. Copes, J2 and okoloji just flat out blow. The assistant caoaches flat out blow. Hewitt has go to have a staff shake up and get a great bball mind to help out. I would only keep Krieder for recruiting. Bottom line the team has major talent and heart issues and our HC doesn't seem to know how to fix it.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Dammit-- should have known we wouldn't get to 70.

Anyone know the last time this team scored 80 points? Wasn't this season...

Oh, and I enjoy the consolation prize of Feinstien telling people that going to a Mason basketball game isn't always a train wreck because the band is good. Yay...

At Houston last year in the CBI, 88-84 in OT.
Towson at home 85-81 loss in OT.
At ODU 85-74 win.

All last season.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Just finished watching the game. All I can say is, we are actually worse than last year. That is a big issue considering what we returned (everything, basically). At least we're playing better competition than we used to and, if we get it together in the next month, that bodes well for our first season in a better conference. Also, Jenkins and Moore are very, very good freshmen.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Dawgs 99? This team has major talent? I would argue that this team has NO talent. And NO coaching, that is why we will continue to be mired in mediocrity. In my opinion we start Jalen, Marko, Sherrod, Bryan, and Marquise. Play them for as many minutes as possible and bring in the rest to spell only for a few minutes. This team isn't going to win no matter who we start, so might as well groom some of the younger guys.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Dawgs 99? This team has major talent? I would argue that this team has NO talent. And NO coaching, that is why we will continue to be mired in mediocrity. In my opinion we start Jalen, Marko, Sherrod, Bryan, and Marquise. Play them for as many minutes as possible and bring in the rest to spell only for a few minutes. This team isn't going to win no matter who we start, so might as well groom some of the younger guys.
I don't necessarily agree with the level of negativity in this post, but I like your starters. Trial by fire for the new kids and a big f.u. the the underachieving upperclassmen

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Haha. We stole one of GW's highly touted recruits and an assistant. Their program is having a great year and on the upswing. Copes blows and who knows if Houston and any of the assistants actually do anything. Can we trade them back for maybe a few defensive schemes?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, as I'm sure you're aware almost every new coach re-recruits the old coaches recruits, otherwise you generally have a very thin roster for awhile. Its disingenuous to claim that Edwards and Grey are Hewitt guys. And while Arledge is no longer on the team it doesn't change the fact that hes not a Hewitt guy and a huge bust. Hewitt has obvious coaching issues......but the talent on this team is not where it needs to be. Some of the talent is Coach L's fault and some of it is Hewitts. All Sherrod can do is score, his handle, passing, and defense are a joke. I like BA but hes a guy without a true position, not a PG and not a good enough shooter to be a good 2 guard. Copes, J2 and okoloji just flat out blow. The assistant caoaches flat out blow. Hewitt has go to have a staff shake up and get a great bball mind to help out. I would only keep Krieder for recruiting. Bottom line the team has major talent and heart issues and our HC doesn't seem to know how to fix it.

99, neither Edwards nor Gray participated in even one practice under Larranaga, so it would be a serious stretch to say they're anything other than Hewitt guys. He wanted both players enough to go through the time and effort to re-recruit them -- something he certainly didn't have to do -- and he's coached them both since the day they arrived on campus.

Secondly, it's difficult to evaluate the "talent" on your team when it is obviously being poorly coached. Just about every returning player on our roster has regressed except Marko. If Jenkins and Moore look promising, it's only because they haven't spent enough time around Hewitt to have his total ineptitude rub off on them.

Nine games into a 30-game season, and it's already obvious as the nose on my face. This team isn't going anywhere. It will be extremely fortunate to win as many games as it loses. So yeah, we may as well play the young guys and sit the seniors ... what's the freaking difference?

Dawgs99

Starter

Did you even read my post?

Dawgs99

Starter
99, neither Edwards nor Gray participated in even one practice under Larranaga, so it would be a serious stretch to say they're anything other than Hewitt guys. He wanted both players enough to go through the time and effort to re-recruit them -- something he certainly didn't have to do -- and he's coached them both since the day they arrived on campus.

Secondly, it's difficult to evaluate the "talent" on your team when it is obviously being poorly coached. Just about every returning player on our roster has regressed except Marko. If Jenkins and Moore look promising, it's only because they haven't spent enough time around Hewitt to have his total ineptitude rub off on them.

Nine games into a 30-game season, and it's already obvious as the nose on my face. This team isn't going anywhere. It will be extremely fortunate to win as many games as it loses. So yeah, we may as well play the young guys and sit the seniors ... what's the freaking difference?

I agree with most of your post Jim. I don't, however think that Hewitt sucks so bad that he makes our players worse. I would def. shorten up the rotation. I'd play BA, SW,Marko, JJ, Moore, and Holloway the lions share of the minutes. I've seen all I need to see from the others. Not sure who else on the team can help us. If you're bored hop on youtube and check out the workout videos from Mayimba.....Kid looks like just the kind of hard working non-pussy playing kid we need.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I love the attitudes and defensive ability of the recruits coming in. But, if it takes them 2 years to gain a reliable offensive skill set we'll be in trouble. This season we have guards who can score (when they feel like it), and not a single player who is a legit solid defender (Edwards on occasion). Now, we'll have these defensive minded guys coming in but nobody who can flat out score when we need it. Going to hold every team under 50 points? I dont think so, especially not under Hewitt.

Impossible.

If Arledge played today, we would have won and we'd be 8-1 and instead of 5-4. Just ask around.....

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I knew we would have trouble matching up with them athletically, but there is no excuse to give up 50 points in the paint and get outrebounded like we did. And other than a few drives, Sherrod played passively the whole game on both ends of the court. Unless he was injured, I thought it was very telling he wasn't in there at the end.

We know the coach isn't going anywhere this year, so it's time for a shake up with the lineup over the next two weeks. It might not make a big difference, but at least we can go with some players who play like they give a damn.

Dawgs99

Starter
I love the attitudes and defensive ability of the recruits coming in. But, if it takes them 2 years to gain a reliable offensive skill set we'll be in trouble. This season we have guards who can score (when they feel like it), and not a single player who is a legit solid defender (Edwards on occasion). Now, we'll have these defensive minded guys coming in but nobody who can flat out score when we need it. Going to hold every team under 50 points? I dont think so, especially not under Hewitt.

While I agree, I think having a bunch of kids who are team first guys who love to call out the other teams best players on defense can only help. I'd rather loose a defensive battle then loose a game by 20 but we score 75. The lack of defense on this squad is almost laughable.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't, however think that Hewitt sucks so bad that he makes our players worse.

We all know college hoops is a coach's game. Just ask anyone at ODU -- Jones has already matched the win total from all of last season, with essentially the same team that Drunky McDrunkerson led into the toilet.

We're headed in the other direction. The further we get away from Larranaga, the worse our team looks.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
While I agree, I think having a bunch of kids who are team first guys who love to call out the other teams best players on defense can only help. I'd rather loose a defensive battle then loose a game by 20 but we score 75. The lack of defense on this squad is almost laughable.

I mean it definitely helps that they enjoy playing defense and appear to be good at it. But will they be put in the right situations and schemes to succeed to the best of their ability? That, I am not confident in.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sherrod looked like he wanted to be anywhere but at the Phone booth today.
Marko can take a charge but that's about all he can do on defense, he continues to let guys drive the lane and go for the easy dunk or lay-up.
Copes is probably the most overrated Center in the history of College Bball.
Johnny Williams - AKA Charmin. LOL, he's still on the team?
BA - Regressed from last year. So inconsistent. Has heart and means well but would rather look good going up for a basket rather than just making the shot or lay-up. Mr. Inconsistent.
Gray - Has no emotion. Just goes through the motions. The next Sherrod Wright, emotionwise, but doesn't have the pure shooting ability as Sherrod does.

I would actually love Vertrail Vaughans at this point. That kid had some heart and hustled his booty off.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I would actually love Vertrail Vaughans at this point. That kid had some heart and hustled his booty off.

Let's not get carried away. He is an insignificant player just like most on this roster. That being said, I believe this team will be much better next season when Wright is off the team. I know many here like to view him as a "great" player, but he isn't. He thinks he is much better than he actually is and that is a bad combination. Let's give Hewitt another year, next year, to get something in place and if he can't, cut him loose and bring in a young, hungry coach looking to get paid instead of one that already has been.